The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M1000 Nib Out Of Whack

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coleb87

coleb87

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 20:03

So, I got my first "grail pen" about 2 weeks ago. That is, my new Pelikan M1000 in Fine. 

When I received it: :D

• The pen wrote ever-so-slighty than my TWSBI 580 Fine, which I am fine with.
  • The pen wrote wetter than all my other pens (Sailor, TWSBI, etc.)
  • While it wrote wetter than all my other pens, it did not write excessively wet. I really liked how the stock flow was.
  • However, it had a sweet spot. It wrote like absolute perfection, buttery smooth, no possible feed back at all, and it was nice and springy. As long as the pen was rotated to the left a little.

Needless to say, the last point bugged me to no end. So I took it under my lens, to find that the nib tines were misaligned, the Right being lower than the left.

So I figured I could easily fix this, having done so in the past with other pens.

After doing my "not so effective" work: :wacko:

• The tines are closer in alignment with each other- The sweet spot has largely gone.
  • the nib writes noticebly wetter, too much for my liking
  • the nib is not nearly buttery smooth as it once was.
  • the nib sings, and at times feels toothy.
  • :yikes:

So, I think we can agree that my first attempt at tuning this nib is not a very great one; however, what can I do? Is there anything else I can do (preferably), or is it best that the pen go to a nibmeister? I simply want the pen to write as it did when I got it, just without the sweet spot. 

Current Pens

- 1932-34 Eversharp Doric - Pelikan M1000 F - Sailor 1911L MF - TWSBI VAC700R F - TWSBI VAC MINI F - TWSBI 580 1.1 - Lamy Safari Petrol M/1.9 - 1945 Parker Vacumatic - 1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic - 1950's Parker 51 Demi - 1942 Shaeffer Tuckaway - 2 50's Esterbrook J's - Jinhao 250 - 2 HERO pens -

Current Inks

- Diamine Jet Black - Parker Quink - Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Pelikan Edelstein Onyx - Montblanc Toffee Brown - Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black - Iroshizuku Kon-Peki - J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage - J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor - J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite - Diamine Red Dragon - Nooder's Antietam Noodler's Habanero -

Sponsored Content

#2 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:04

I've read your post several times over and I can't figure what you've done other than tinker your pen past the point of your liking. Maybe it's best you send it off to any of the reputable nibmeisters? Mike Masuyama does good work (Mike-It-Work). Give him a good description of what you are looking for and he usually delivers. He has done so for the several times he's worked for me. 

#3 Forsooth

Forsooth

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 22:13

You didn't mention (unless I missed it) whether you bought the pen new from a certified seller.  If so, I'd check out my options, etc., etc.

Otherwise, based on the value of the big gold nib, I would forgo all chances of ruining it and send the pen to an expert.

Caveat: I'm not a Pelikan owner.

#4 coleb87

coleb87

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 00:04

I've read your post several times over and I can't figure what you've done other than tinker your pen past the point of your liking. Maybe it's best you send it off to any of the reputable nibmeisters? Mike Masuyama does good work (Mike-It-Work). Give him a good description of what you are looking for and he usually delivers. He has done so for the several times he's worked for me. 

Oh, my bad. I just tried to gently bend the tines until they aligned, and in doing so I caused more harm than good. What's the general turnaround time for Masuyama? I've been considering him. 

Current Pens

- 1932-34 Eversharp Doric - Pelikan M1000 F - Sailor 1911L MF - TWSBI VAC700R F - TWSBI VAC MINI F - TWSBI 580 1.1 - Lamy Safari Petrol M/1.9 - 1945 Parker Vacumatic - 1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic - 1950's Parker 51 Demi - 1942 Shaeffer Tuckaway - 2 50's Esterbrook J's - Jinhao 250 - 2 HERO pens -

Current Inks

- Diamine Jet Black - Parker Quink - Noodler's Heart of Darkness - Pelikan Edelstein Onyx - Montblanc Toffee Brown - Noodler's Air Corps Blue Black - Iroshizuku Kon-Peki - J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage - J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor - J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite - Diamine Red Dragon - Nooder's Antietam Noodler's Habanero -

#5 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:23

Oh, my bad. I just tried to gently bend the tines until they aligned, and in doing so I caused more harm than good. What's the general turnaround time for Masuyama? I've been considering him. 

:yikes:  :o  :wallbash:

#6 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:25

Its strange that realigning should have caused scratchiness. Are you sure they are perfectly aligned now? Richard Binder has a great article on how to view nib alignment with a loupe. If you are looking at it wrong then you will align it wrong.

Proper alignment should make it smoother, not worse. At least in my experience

#7 Pactagon

Pactagon

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 23:40

Its strange that realigning should have caused scratchiness. Are you sure they are perfectly aligned now? Richard Binder has a great article on how to view nib alignment with a loupe. If you are looking at it wrong then you will align it wrong.

Proper alignment should make it smoother, not worse. At least in my experience

Perhaps the nib was ground and smoothed at the factory with the tines already misaligned?

Instagram: @Pactagon

#8 siamackz

siamackz

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 00:45

Perhaps the nib was ground and smoothed at the factory with the tines already misaligned?

If the tines have actually been realigned properly now, then yes, that would be the only explanation but would mean truly terrible expertise/QC. The reason I say actually realigned now is because a little less that perfect might make it scratchy, and to know its perfect you need it be looking at it correctly through the loupe ie look at it at a 45 degree angle and not 90 degree angle (Richard Binder notes)

#9 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,989 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:31

I handed my overly wet and broad M1000 fine point to Mike Masuyama and got back the most wonderful writing pen I can imagine! Don't know about his turnaround as I was able to sit and watch him work on it at the Denver pen show.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#10 coleb87

coleb87

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 21:04

If the tines have actually been realigned properly now, then yes, that would be the only explanation but would mean truly terrible expertise/QC. The reason I say actually realigned now is because a little less that perfect might make it scratchy, and to know its perfect you need it be looking at it correctly through the loupe ie look at it at a 45 degree angle and not 90 degree angle (Richard Binder notes)

That's true. I managed to look through a loupe at the nib to re-align them. They are matching as close as I'm comfortable with getting them; in the future I'll probably send it off to a nibmeister. As of now, It writes much better, albeit with some tooth still, as well as singing. 

Current Pens

Current Inks

#11 coleb87

coleb87

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 21:07

I handed my overly wet and broad M1000 fine point to Mike Masuyama and got back the most wonderful writing pen I can imagine! Don't know about his turnaround as I was able to sit and watch him work on it at the Denver pen show.

That's good to hear. I hear nothing but good from him, so I'll probably check it out soon.

Current Pens

Current Inks

#12 coleb87

coleb87

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2018 - 21:08

That's a really good possibility. 

Current Pens

Current Inks

Sponsored Content

|