Show Me How You Store Your Pens.

The Blue Knight

16 or fewer inked pens go in here; the rest go into one or two cigar boxes

fpn_1519535552__pen-box-02.jpg

fpn_1519535574__pen-box-01.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• pitonyak

• The Blue Knight

• fountainpagan

I have a 36 pens faux-leather case where I store the uninked ones. In my table I have 2 mugs: one with the inked ones and another with to-clean pens and some others that are not in the case (like one too big to stored there, a vintage Hero, or some X750 in the mug because there are no empty slots on my case (waiting for a 12-pen case to arrive).

Currently inked: Lamy Aion, TWSBI's Mini ECO-T, an ECO, a Jinhao 159 and a Namisu Orion Aluminum.

I designed and 3d printed these fountain pen ferris wheels for my wife for her birthday and Valentine's day to store her inked pens on her desk. She wanted something that keeps her pens horizontal so they don't leak or dry out, and I guess I went a little overboard. It holds six and you can spin it around like a desk toy.

I designed and 3d printed these fountain pen ferris wheels for my wife for her birthday and Valentine's day to store her inked pens on her desk. She wanted something that keeps her pens horizontal so they don't leak or dry out, and I guess I went a little overboard. It holds six and you can spin it around like a desk toy.

Exquisite.

Exquisite.

What a creative and elegantly presented solution! Kudos to you and your lucky wife!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

First, I had this one: 100 or 56 ... (joke)
Then I made myself one: Cut out a useless book and made a nice (hidden) place.

03.jpg

5105.jpg

• 4 months later...

I store my pens in the pen wrap I made myself (hand-stiched :D) I like that I can just grab and carry them whenever I need to. No money spent on this pen wrap because I only used scrap fabric I found at home. Spent time though, because it took me the whole day to finish this :D and time is gold :D .

post-144143-0-97688400-1533101007_thumb.jpg

post-144143-0-18549900-1533101018_thumb.jpg

post-144143-0-04709700-1533101027_thumb.jpg

I two zippered cases that I use when I want to transport. The larger one holds roughly 50 pens, it is on the left leaning against the walnus (dark brown) set of drawers. I also have three cardboard boxes with pen holding material in them; each can hold 10 pens. You can see two of these boxes in the top left of the photo below. You can see five smaller mostly white boxes on top of the dark brown (Walnut) drawers; these are glass dip pens.

storage_containers_01-L.jpg

The drawer box on the right is made from Oak and it is the first one that made. The lower left drawer is very tall and it contains tall bottles of ink, bottles of home made pen cleaning solution, and a few miscellaneous related tall items. The drawer on the lower right is full of inks, mostly in bottles. The other drawers contain things such as pen boxes, calligraphy sets, boxed pens, pen maintenance stuff, some stationary, blotting paper, etc.

The cabinet on the left I made from walnut. The top four drawers are fitted with pen trays. My first plan was to make my own pen trays out of wood using a router, I decided that purchasing molded pen trays was inexpensive and very fast.

pen_drawer-L.jpg

The bottom drawer contains ink. Much less ink that I have in the oak drawers.

ink_drawer_walnut-L.jpg

One of the drawers contains wax seals and related materials. The final drawer contains clear containers with things such as parts and nibs.

I have an old English cutlery box that I relined and made into a pen case. It has an escutcheon lock too so looks quite secure from amateur theft. The pros would simply take the whole box.

I have an old English cutlery box that I relined and made into a pen case. It has an escutcheon lock too so looks quite secure from amateur theft. The pros would simply take the whole box.

Many years ago I worked in a secure room with a special safe that was very large and very heavy. One of our team members (call him Bob, not his real name) was working at his computer about five feet from the safe wearing headphones when three men came in and removed the safe from the room...... Bob never noticed that these men came in and took the safe. It was most amusing when he realized that the safe was gone.

With the correct dolly, it is amazing how much weight you can move with very few people. The cutlery box would be a piece of cake.... but it is an unlikely target.

Sounds like a nice choice, I have one that is filled with cutlery and it would work great if I redesigned the innards..... Hmmm...

That is absolutely beautiful :o And unless you smoothed it after printing, that seems like a really nice resolution on your 3D printer! May I ask what 3D printer you used, and also if you are willing to make the printing files available to others? I totally understand, since it was a gift for your wife, if you'd like it to remain one of a kind, but you really did a fantastic job!

I know very little about 3D printing other than seeing a few gewgaws coworkers have produced, but I now suddenly have an interest (even if I don't have anywhere to put such an item), LOL :lol:

Nevermind me! I'm just an inkling, a mere pigment of your imagination...