• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Astronymus

• pitonyak

• The Blue Knight

• mikkicasteli

My avatar is how I store my inked pens. Un-inked pens lie loose in a drawer or in the tray where recently-cleaned pens sit to dry.

Levenger display case on left, Lanier wood case on right.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNGjankRKGuQROnCX-80g-V4saHBglHOxMCj9y-EfKJ4ixrNlcGJkC6iiOW8_1kpw/photo/AF1QipNlHd_oFhnyMLe_zQRb2TCoR7vRM2X7IHZ0kbcb?key=QW5RaVgxSkM2aFZ3dUhJUldOZmJKaFdvcWZRVGZn

The big chest was discussed here a while back ... I'll edit in the link once I find it.

Found it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282439-wood-machinists-chest-costco-usa/

At the time it was super inexpensive, $40 shipped (!)

It was a very good investment.

Edited by katerchen

For those who are able to do these, I have the standing on hard cardboard with velvet so they do not get scratched.

post-139002-0-35533800-1515919350_thumb.jpgpost-139002-0-44372300-1515919365.jpgpost-139002-0-76115300-1515919378.jpg

The saved ones I have them in a cloth wrap according to the material that is the pen.

Watch this video, the table store at 7:44 minute.

3 pens I take to work: in a nice leather case. Empty and cleaned: in some larger penboxes (Montegrappa, Visconti, MB) in a drawer.

Inked pens on my desk:

39690246942_5d6c2453b7_k.jpg

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

Repurposed liquor bottle box with a custom wood insert.

post-97570-0-06952700-1516112069_thumb.jpg

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

3 pens I take to work: in a nice leather case. Empty and cleaned: in some larger penboxes (Montegrappa, Visconti, MB) in a drawer.

Inked pens on my desk:

Really like the rug.

I like the rug too.

Searched on eBay for dolls house rugs and lots come up, not expensive.

Regards

Mark

How I store my writing and art goodies depends on my needs.

For items that I use frequently, I tend to need them both at home and on the go, so I store those in a Kokuyo Neo Critz, which doubles as a standup case. Why take something out of a case and put it in a fancy pen cup or other such storage item, when you can get double duty out of something cheap (and cute)?

Some non-FP stuff stays on my desk and never leaves, so those things I store in dollar store Mason-type jars or old coffee mugs that I don't consider safe to drink out of anymore. As with my Neo Critz case, these also serve a double purpose: I can empty them out if need be and use them either for watercoloring or for cleaning FPs or art brushes. Why have fancy cases for stuff like that when something cheap can give you multiple uses?

Items that are temporarily out of rotation or that I use enough to have on permanent standby (but not enough to go on my desk) are in pencil cases or original packaging and live in a rolling plastic cabinet that I keep near my desk. The reason for the rolling cabinet is not only that it's there (for the out of rotation stuff) but also because it never fails during any given semester that I need the permanent standby things in that cabinet for a major project that demands the use of my dining room table, which is not close to my office. My desk simply isn't big enough for all the junk on it and for creating posters or tri-fold presentation boards for a class, so a rolling cabinet makes sense. I'd rather roll the case into the dining room than fish everything out, and then lug it to the dining room and back. I don't have to worry about dropping (or misplacing) anything when it's in the rolling cabinet, so bonus.

Items that I use only rarely tend to go back in their original boxes (if they have one) or in various pencil cases (if there was no original box), and all of that goes in my office closet.

Edited by Aquaria

I like the rug too.

Regards

Mark

I thought it is a mouse pad. I think I have seen something like this.

I like the rug too.

Regards

Mark

I have one that is actually a mouse pad. I picked it up a few years ago, because the rug design printed on it was from a company in Massachusetts that was a multi-generational oriental rug dealer. They did an exhibit once in the museum in the town I lived in up there -- it was rugs from their personal family collection, and did some talks (and an appraisal night) while the exhibit was running.

When my husband and I first moved to Massachusetts, I told my mother-in-law that I would like to get some oriental rugs for the house we bought, and she recommended the store. While I couldn't actually afford a new carpet, it was nice to actually walk around and see what was available. Their showroom was two floors, and at the bottom of the stairs was a lovely one with a white background. It was a fairly large one (I'd guess around 12' x 15'). I looked at the pricetag and it cost IIRC, something in the five figure range! And they had it on the floor to be walked on by customers.... :yikes: And when they did the museum exhibit, a lot of the rugs (and remember -- this wasn't store stock, but their *personal* ones) were on the floor. One of the few that wasn't was silk, and a replica of one of the earliest known carpets still extant).

The store, BTW, is still in existence -- I just looked up their website. And I think they had been in business for something like 60+ years when I lived in MA (so, that would be something like 80+ years as a family concern at this point).

Also just did a quick Google search for oriental rug mouse pads -- $13.95 US on Amazon. Although I don't know if you can still get the one printed with the rug design from their collection (but the mouse pads are cheaper than some bottles of ink... B)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Inked pens on my desk:

It actually IS a mousepad. An official 'mouserug' mousepad replica of an old rug that can be seen in a New York museum.

I recently got it, not to replace my mousepad but with the intent to use it as a penpad.

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• 5 weeks later...

I got fed up of storing my pens in a variety of boxes I'd gathered as my collection grew so bought an empty cutlery chest at a local auction. The chest was made in 1874 and has 7 drawers. I replaced the old fittings from the drawers with slotted pen trays from Gary at gopens and posted the results here some time back. I've still got plenty of empty slots to fill.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/326713-pen-display-drawers/

"In my early days there were few schools to help us in the pursuit of learning.

If we wanted to climb, we had first to make our own ladders".

Benjamin Brierley (1825-1896),

English weaver and self taught writer/publisher in Lancashire dialect.