The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How Many Ink Bottles Do You Have?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 tomtom42

tomtom42

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 17:18

I don't think using all of the ink is the goal of the collectors here.

For instance, even if in ten years I won't have depleted even one bottle it's not like i'll feel disappointed or something of the sort. Having the colors ready at hand is the point for me, not using all of it as quickly as possible to make room for more.

I understand your point, it was just a thought I had when counting the bottles - one of them is at least 40 years old and still has some ink (Waterman Florida blue)...

br,

tom

Sponsored Content

#82 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 17:24

For instance, even if in ten years I won't have depleted even one bottle it's not like i'll feel disappointed or something of the sort. Having the colors ready at hand is the point for me, not using all of it as quickly as possible to make room for more.

Sounds fine. Desire to acquire and possess material goods, especially in large quantities, has a multitude of motivations, psychological, economic, and more. Some of it is even linked to membership at FPN and engagement with this thread.

#83 Amory

Amory

must put a witty comment here to show I am a fun person

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 17:52

35 bottles atm, and 4 on the way. Not keen on samples, bought 3 once used one gave the others away. The only bottle I got and will never use is Lamy Red, I don't like it. I've promised myself that I would stop at 50 different colours, then I'll start getting duplicates.

I was intrigued by the title of this thread and a little nosey wondering just how many inks people collect. I type with more fingers than I have bottles of ink, but I digress.

That is a shame having paid for the ink that it moulders unloved. I am new here and not a collector of pens or ink but I have been using inks. Wonder if you have considered mixing the unwanted red to alter the tone?
I have mixed Lamy inks. The Lamy green in cartridge was not to my liking, adding a tiny dash of blue created to my mind, a very nice shade. I have also mixed Lamy ink with Quink black. Best wishes Amory

#84 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,892 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 19:18

That's my rationale.  B) 

My problem is that I will try an ink and like it, and want a full bottle even if it's close to another ink I already have.  Or want to have a backup bottle.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#85 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 19:29

I guess I have about 30-35 bottles, some at home and some at work.  There are very few that I don't use from time to time.  Some regularly, some maybe only once a year.  I also do quite a bit of mixing when I get fed up with a couple of inks.  I've never had any problems with mixing.  My favourite ink is a mix of PR Spearmint, Iroshizuku ina-ho (what of the few inks I've ever bought that I hated as soon as I tried it) and Diamine Orange - somehow I got something that looks surprisingly like Racing Green!    ;)

Edited by Aysedasi, 21 January 2018 - 19:33.

#86 HangmanCrewPens

HangmanCrewPens

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 20:52

Only 10 bottles but 40 in samples , 5 in cartridges,

I just need 5-10 ml to test the ink. I cant wait till some of the awful brown samples to finish so I can free up some space. I dont like to pour it down the sink..so heavily splashing it in illustrations and smear tests right now...

#87 Helen350

Helen350

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2018 - 21:48

52 bottles & 27 samples.  At 71, I doubt if I will use all of the ink I have, however, it is nice to have the many colors on hand when I want to ink up one of my pens.

#88 arrScott

arrScott

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2018 - 22:27

I just counted. I'd have guessed maybe 24, but the real number is 43. That seems a lot, but in my defense, I haven't ordered any new ink at all this year. 

#89 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:13

19 bottles (30ml to 90ml with almost every size in between), not counting the samples, of course.

#90 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,746 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:11

I refuse to count.

#91 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:42

I think I have about 80-90 bottles. Tons of backups of certain colors. Eventually I'll list them on eBay or something. Made trade a few for a pen or two. What can I say, I'm a stage 1 hoarder! Hahahaha

#92 Nibbler

Nibbler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:16

My lovely wife (of 27 years) has more pairs of shoes than I have inks. I think that's fair?

#93 Olga-F

Olga-F

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:29

Lloyd, is the volume of Your house infinite, or the volumes of ink bottles tend to zero? :)

#94 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:33

Do we really need to be reminded?

#95 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 22:39

Right now - 1. Soon I'll be ordering a bunch of samples. When I'm done there will be three.

1 Black

1 Green

1 Mixture of above.

When a bottle gets close to empty I may get a different tone of the same colour. If I'm feeling adventurous.

Life is simple when one lives simply!

"Simplify and add Lightness"

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#96 Methersgate

Methersgate

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 March 2018 - 23:13

8 and a sample. But I can see the way this is going.

#97 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:18

So Ive started this thread with ~19 bottles. Counting with the ones still ‘flying’ around in between the stores and my home now I have 25.

I was under the impression that I was a problematic case. You guys tranquilized me :)

#98 alanshutko

alanshutko

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:32

Coincidentally, counting the bottle of Akkerman on the way, I have 19 bottles!

#99 sdbruder

sdbruder

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:29

Delivery time is so high here that I manage to buy and forget that Ive bought.

I found a purchase that still didnt arrived of 3 more bottles of ink. That elevates my grand total to 28.

And to complete my misery of waiting now the local delivery company (Correios) went into a strike  :huh:  :(  :wacko:  :angry: :yikes:  

— 

I still have more pens than inks.

Edited by sdbruder, 13 March 2018 - 16:30.

#100 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2018 - 17:22

— 

I still have more pens than inks.

Me too! Thank goodness for inexpensive Chinese pens. It's fun to try the same ink with different nibs.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Sponsored Content

|