• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• TSherbs

• inkstainedruth

Might some of these ink bottles in huge collections go bad if they have been opened for testing and then take years to be emptied (if ever used again at all)?

I have around 80 bottles and know for a fact that I will never use all of that ink. Some of them were bought try out and I never grew to like them. Occasionally I'll load some of them up and bring them to pen club to trade or give away. I've also sold some of them at pen shows. I really need to trim down to the 10-20 I'll probably ever use and find a way to get the others to people that may use them.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Might some of these ink bottles in huge collections go bad if they have been opened for testing and then take years to be emptied (if ever used again at all)?

Possibly, depending on the manufacturer and how they are kept. But that doesn't seem to be the point. It's the collecting of them that is important. Not whether they are actually ever used or not.

Have you seen any of these TV shows that feature "hoarders?" I saw one where the hoarder collected newspapers, and had so many that almost all of the rooms in the house were literally full of newspapers, to the extent that there was no way to move around in there. :wacko:

It's a possibility of course - but care with storage and use mitigates the 'danger'. Actually the few inks I've had go bad were almost all brand new bottles that had gone off whilst unopened. I also have a number of vintage inks, partly used, and they are perfectly useable.

I have loads of inks. I love colour and it is actually the part of the hobby I like best. I buy inks instead of over-priced branded pens. I use them, share them, enjoy them. I don't hoard; that implies buying just for the sake of possessing. I don't have to 'collect' all of a series or a brand, only the ones I like. Most bottles cost just a fraction of the price of a pen, but a single bottle can enhance the enjoyment of any number of different pens. If I only had one fountain pen but 100 bottles of inks I'd be happy, knowing that I'd be able to enjoy 100 different writing experiences.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Before regulations forced them to, Rolls Royce never quoted power output figures for their car engines, simply stating it was "sufficient".

I have sufficient inks.

Probably 70 or 80 in total. Most are never used, but I keep them because tastes change and any could become favourites.

I am full of admiration for the poster who has acquired 800 bottles. The determination that must take!

I am full of admiration for the poster who has acquired 800 bottles. The determination that must take!

Well I guess that may be me :-) My inks have accumulated over many years, and to be honest it was an easy, very gradual and fun process. To say that it took “determination” implies a deliberate strategy or plan of acquisition. But the truth is that I just bought what I fancied, almost at random, but with certain type/brand/colour preferences in mind. And voilá, before I knew it, here I am with a few hundred bottles :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

Used to have a huuuge ink collection (ended up giving most of it away), but personally I didn't have as many problems with opened ink going bad in the bottle. I always used an eyedropper to remove ink into a tray for filling, never filled from the bottle, so maybe that helped?

Also, I often "stocked up" several of my fave colors/brands instead of a broad assortment - like 7 of the exact same green, 5 of the same black. So a lot of my bottles were never opened, or even taken out of their boxes.

Used to have a huuuge ink collection (ended up giving most of it away), but personally I didn't have as many problems with opened ink going bad in the bottle. I always used an eyedropper to remove ink into a tray for filling, never filled from the bottle, so maybe that helped?

Also, I often "stocked up" several of my fave colors/brands instead of a broad assortment - like 7 of the exact same green, 5 of the same black. So a lot of my bottles were never opened, or even taken out of their boxes.

I must admit that I've stopped stocking up on multiple bottles of the same colour, and I must be doing something right because I don't seem to have anywhere near as many problems with any of my ink going bad in the bottles as some users have.

Personally if someone offered me $32,000 to buy inks or pens, I would buy pens. :wub: Especially those that I could resell without losing money. ;)

Thirty-eight bottles, including a few duplicates, a bagful of cartridges in various sizes, and a "few" samples. (Noooo, don't make me count those!!)

I comfort myself with the knowledge that some of those bottles are nearly empty...

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I must admit that I've stopped stocking up on multiple bottles of the same colour, and I must be doing something right because I don't seem to have anywhere near as many problems with any of my ink going bad in the bottles as some users have.

Personally if someone offered me $32,000 to buy inks or pens, I would buy pens. :wub: Especially those that I could resell without losing money. ;)

I received a $100 Amazon gift card for Christmas from a brother. Pen and paper on the way from Japan. No ink.

$32,000 ??? Got your eyes set on some SPECIAL pens?

I'm more interested in knowing where that $32,000 number came from.

If I had $30,000 - 2 pens -

Namiki Emperor Goldfish - $12,000

Namiki Emperor 95th Anniversary Ascending Dragon - ~$15,000

Rest can probably go to some charity etc.

I would put $32,000 towards opening an ink store, walls, and tables, and boxes, and drawers full of ink bottles. And an ink bar, where you can get 2 oz shots of your favorite ink, or the house ink, specifically made and mixed on the premise. Mixed ink specialities would be: "Diamines' Are a Girl's Best Friend", "A Noodler's Lost Arm", "The Seasick Pelikan ", "A Watermen Too Far", and "Iron Gall With a Twist" to name a few...

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I would put $32,000 towards opening an ink store, walls, and tables, and boxes, and drawers full of ink bottles. And an ink bar, where you can get 2 oz shots of your favorite ink, or the house ink, specifically made and mixed on the premise. Mixed ink specialities would be: "Diamines' Are a Girl's Best Friend", "A Noodler's Lost Arm", "The Seasick Pelikan ", "A Watermen Too Far", and "Iron Gall With a Twist" to name a few...

franchise it!

:lticaptd:Those names are hilarious! I am so stealing some of them....

As for the question that TSherbs had about inks going bad? Well the only ones I'm really a bit worried about are the IG inks, precipitating out. Which means I probably need to use them more....

Oh, and I have one highlighter ink in a cheapie translucent plastic brush pen, that looks a bit, well, off.... So that bottle might get dumped. Oh well, I have other highlighter ink colors I think I like better. [shrug].

Okay, I'm telling my husband about the person with 800 bottles. Of course, he'll probably glare at me and tell me it ISN'T a competition.... I was talking to an aquaintance on Saturday at the thing I was at because he was sitting writing with a Petrol Safari (I had forgotten he was a bit of a pen guy). And my husband came over and started the "She used to collect pens, but that just enables her REAL hobby, collecting inks!" rant....

Hmmm. If I had $32 grand, I probably would also just buy pens. Well, unless there was an unopened bottle or two of PPS on eBay.... :eureka:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

...Okay, I'm telling my husband about the person with 800 bottles. Of course, he'll probably glare at me and tell me it ISN'T a competition.... I was talking to an aquaintance on Saturday at the thing I was at because he was sitting writing with a Petrol Safari (I had forgotten he was a bit of a pen guy). And my husband came over and started the "She used to collect pens, but that just enables her REAL hobby, collecting inks!" rant....

yeah

I said to my wife, "Guess what, honey. Guess how many inks some people have!" She looked at me with that worried look whenever this kind of topic comes up and said, with that judgmental narrowing of the eyes,"What, like 20?!"

Well.

This meant that I had to say that I already had 15, which relaxed her eyes not a bit.

"No, like 500, or over a 1000!"

"@*&*#%"

~The End~

yeah

I said to my wife, "Guess what, honey. Guess how many inks some people have!" She looked at me with that worried look whenever this kind of topic comes up and said, with that judgmental narrowing of the eyes,"What, like 20?!"

Well.

This meant that I had to say that I already had 15, which relaxed her eyes not a bit.

"@*&*#%"

~The End~

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

yeah

Well.

"@*&*#%"

~The End~

I found the key is to have a wife whose hobby takes up more space than yours! My wife is into knitting, crochet, and spinning her own fiber which now fills closets, and tables and storage bins. All my pen stuff fits in or under a single secretary desk! She stills thinks its ridiculous...but a little bit less than before!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I found the key is to have a wife whose hobby takes up more space than yours! My wife is into knitting, crochet, and spinning her own fiber which now fills closets, and tables and storage bins. All my pen stuff fits in or under a single secretary desk! She stills thinks its ridiculous...but a little bit less than before!

my wife's hobby is doing things for other people

selfish puck!

I should be able to have 50+ inks, amiright?