The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Penbbs 309

penbbs 309

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:25

Hi All!  I just got my Penbbs 309 and inked it up so I thought I'd share. The paper is Clairefontaine. The nib is quite smooth, with less feedback than a Preppy on the same paper, while having a similar line width. The the fit and finish are actually really nice, and the nib has a tiny bit of spring. This is the "Autumn"  color, which seems not be currently on Ebay, but it might be around other places. As you can see, it screws apart at the section.  Although this cost a bit more than most of the Chinese pens, I feel like it was worth it. I was hoping for a gradient that was more orange on the ends, but at least it matches nicely!
39659441851_8a1e1a8f53_b.jpg
Under a loupe, the nib slit looked like it was cut off center, but it doesn't seem to affect the writing experience.

Edited by DasKaltblut, 13 January 2018 - 11:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 DavionWest

DavionWest

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:36

Hi All!  I just got my Penbbs 309 and inked it up so I thought I'd share. The paper is Clairefontaine. The nib is quite smooth, with less feedback than a Preppy on the same paper, while having a similar line width. The the fit and finish are actually really nice, and the nib has a tiny bit of spring. This is the "Autumn"  color, which seems not be currently on Ebay, but it might be around other places. As you can see, it screws apart at the section.  Although this cost a bit more than most of the Chinese pens, I feel like it was worth it. I was hoping for a gradient that was more orange on the ends, but at least it matches nicely!

39659441851_8a1e1a8f53_b.jpg

is it a piston feel ?

#3 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:55

Yes, you can see the piston right there in the pen, looks like 2 black rings after the chamber full of blue ink.

#4 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:00

I was eyeing this Penbbs 309 since I saw some models going for 18€ on Aliexpress.

Is the ink flow consistent? Does the cap post securely?

Anything that stands out as a warning bell in the construction quality?

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#5 DasKaltblut

DasKaltblut

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 21:39

I was eyeing this Penbbs 309 since I saw some models going for 18 on Aliexpress.
Is the ink flow consistent? Does the cap post securely?
Anything that stands out as a warning bell in the construction quality?

It's a great pen. Ink flow is very good, the cap posts securely (although you do need to seat it a bit) and the quality is outstanding. But don't wait long if you want one, the current stock is running low and color choice is getting quite restricted.

Edited by DasKaltblut, 12 February 2018 - 02:01.

#6 woleizihan

woleizihan

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2018 - 23:10

I have two of those and great value. I believe they are cnc lathed from acrylic rods.

#7 Blackhorse

Blackhorse

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 April 2018 - 18:48

Look on uTube...some reviews there...all VERY positive. I have 3 on order...the colors are a Turquoise looking swirl, a very red something that looks like bright Cranberry salad (lol) and what I think of as Alien Bright Green Swirl. All appear to be very handsome.

I also bought some PenBBS inks on the Vanness site to go with them...a blue, a red and a green. Nice.

#8 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 14:57

It's a great pen. Ink flow is very good, the cap posts securely (although you do need to seat it a bit) and the quality is outstanding. But don't wait long if you want one, the current stock is running low and color choice is getting quite restricted.

If you want one of these, I highly recommend you get one as soon as possible. This is especially true if you want a particular color. As for me, I wanted a solid color one and they seem to be completely out of those on eBay (other than the pink one). Even in China the only unique-looking solid colored one I could find was the last one in stock and I had to pay a premium for it.

What I love about these pens is not only that they can be completely disassembled (wouldn't it be amazing if you could unscrew the section on your Pelikan to clean it better???), but also that any #6 JoWo or Knox nib fits perfectly in them.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#9 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2018 - 16:00

PenBBS' own store on Etsy had a few of the fancier looking pens, solid colour. I went to check and they have for sale the Sand and I think Berry?
What colours were you looking for, TruthPil?

#10 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2018 - 00:33

PenBBS' own store on Etsy had a few of the fancier looking pens, solid colour. I went to check and they have for sale the Sand and I think Berry?
What colours were you looking for, TruthPil?

I was just looking for the Cloud color or the other dark blue model that probably sold out first. I ended up grabbing the last Southshore model on Taobao.

#11 penny_lane

penny_lane

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2018 - 18:03

Hi All!  I just got my Penbbs 309 and inked it up so I thought I'd share. The paper is Clairefontaine. The nib is quite smooth, with less feedback than a Preppy on the same paper, while having a similar line width. The the fit and finish are actually really nice, and the nib has a tiny bit of spring. This is the "Autumn"  color, which seems not be currently on Ebay, but it might be around other places. As you can see, it screws apart at the section.  Although this cost a bit more than most of the Chinese pens, I feel like it was worth it. I was hoping for a gradient that was more orange on the ends, but at least it matches nicely!39659441851_8a1e1a8f53_b.jpg
Under a loupe, the nib slit looked like it was cut off center, but it doesn't seem to affect the writing experience.

Wow, your nib seems so much finer compared to mine. Do you have the 0.5 nib too?

Attached Images

• 1A5EAB6E-B725-4766-81B5-6DDF79A3714F.jpeg

#12 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,966 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:18

So I'm guessing in the completely solid colours there is no way to see the ink level?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#13 TruthPil

TruthPil

Flexy obliqueness!

• Member - Gold

• 2,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 November 2018 - 01:31

For most of the solid colors you can get a good idea of the ink level if you hold it up to the light. I have the Southshore solid blue model and I can usually tell the ink level.

I don't have the Galaxy model, but that one might not have any visibility. The material seems to be much more opaque.

Edited by TruthPil, 13 November 2018 - 01:33.

#14 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,966 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 20:28

For most of the solid colors you can get a good idea of the ink level if you hold it up to the light. I have the Southshore solid blue model and I can usually tell the ink level.

I don't have the Galaxy model, but that one might not have any visibility. The material seems to be much more opaque.

Thank you! Awesome info.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs, 309

Sponsored Content

|