The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pencils, Pencils, Pencils

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bobs51

bobs51

Give me pens, and no one gets hurt!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:04

Wonderful article from the NY Times on a pencil factory with fabulous graphics.  Hope the link works for all..

https://www.nytimes....ner=rss&emc=rss

Sponsored Content

#2 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:59

Wonderful article from the NY Times on a pencil factory with fabulous graphics.  Hope the link works for all..

https://www.nytimes....ner=rss&emc=rss

Thank you Bob -- I would have missed this otherwise.  Terrific article!   :thumbup:

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#3 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 18:54

I read somewhere that the machinery is really, really old.

Look up Musgrave and Moon pencil companies in Shelbyville, TN

#4 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:36

I read somewhere that the machinery is really, really old.

Look up Musgrave and Moon pencil companies in Shelbyville, TN

It might be analogous to vinyl record production.  When vinyl started to experience a resurgence, so few of the machines were left.  Those that still existed were being maintained using spare parts from machines that had fallen too far into disrepair.  It would be too costly to remake those machines as they were last designed in the 1980's.

But...

Apparently with the increasing demand, this inspired new machines to be developed that are extremely high tech in comparison, and of course not as expensive to produce and run.

Bloomberg: Making The Same Old Vinyl Records With New Machines

I wonder if the same thing may happen with wooden pencil manufacturing.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#5 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 20:48

It might be analogous to vinyl record production.  When vinyl started to experience a resurgence, so few of the machines were left.  Those that still existed were being maintained using spare parts from machines that had fallen too far into disrepair.  It would be too costly to remake those machines as they were last designed in the 1980's.

But...

Apparently with the increasing demand, this inspired new machines to be developed that are extremely high tech in comparison, and of course not as expensive to produce and run.

Bloomberg: Making The Same Old Vinyl Records With New Machines

I wonder if the same thing may happen with wooden pencil manufacturing.

The thing with pencils though, specifically with General’s, Musgrave, and Moon, is that they are already pretty inexpensive to manufacture, even if you ask them to customize pencils, as some retailers have. I don’t think there is a substantial fear of the machinery breaking beyond repair, the greater issue with pencil manufacture in the U.S. specifically, is competition from chinease manufacturers flooding the market. General’s had to refocus their emphasis to compete, that’s why most people know them through their drawing and sketching pencils seen at art stores. Their #2 pencils are pretty great though, especially the Cedar Pointe.
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#6 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2018 - 22:48

An interesting thing happened to me today. I found 2 shopping bags full of crayons and pencils at a thrift store today.

They must have thought me crazy, but I took both for 1 USD each.

There are A LOT of made in USA pencils in there, with a great number of them being vintage  :D 

It was fun going through them all!

#7 Crobe

Crobe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 15:46

An interesting thing happened to me today. I found 2 shopping bags full of crayons and pencils at a thrift store today.

They must have thought me crazy, but I took both for 1 USD each.

There are A LOT of made in USA pencils in there, with a great number of them being vintage  :D

It was fun going through them all!

That sounds great! I love finding bags/boxes of pens, pencils, and crayons at yard sales. Usually some great finds in them.

Mike

#8 VertOlivia

VertOlivia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:15

I really enjoyed this article. I now own a box of their Cedar Pointes (and a pencil sharpener!)
"Ravens play with lost time."

#9 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:51

That sounds great! I love finding bags/boxes of pens, pencils, and crayons at yard sales. Usually some great finds in them.

Mike

Envious.

#10 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2018 - 00:55

I really enjoyed this article. I now own a box of their Cedar Pointes (and a pencil sharpener!)

I own a huge stash of thousands of different types of pencils. My prized possession are 8 boxes of brand new unused Blackwing limited production Volume 211's in natural cedar wood.

Edited by Donald2, 03 February 2018 - 00:56.

#11 Studio97

Studio97

Studio97

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 15:35

I own a huge stash of thousands of different types of pencils. My prized possession are 8 boxes of brand new unused Blackwing limited production Volume 211's in natural cedar wood.

I also have stashes of boxes of pencils that write very well even on the low cost scale: Staedtler Rally, black painted Staples #2, Norico, USA Silver, Generals Cedar Pointe. Paid as little as 1 to 2 dollars per box on clearance with 36 pencils per box. I have a few boxes of Blackwing 602, Tombow, mitsubishi Uni Hi and others.

I bought several boxes of some basic office pencils for only .17 per box. Last year i donated a large number to schools for hurricane relief. I had way too many anyway.

#12 Zaphodbebullbrox

Zaphodbebullbrox

Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 00:44

Very cool

Edited by Zaphodbebullbrox, 01 March 2018 - 12:13.

Sponsored Content

|