The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Noodler’S General Of The Armies

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 23:26

Initially, I inked up an Aurora Minerali Diopside with Platinum Citrus Black just long enough to watch it slosh around and get a writing sample. It was fairly dry and the medium nib on my Aurora wrote almost like a fine. Today I inked it up with Noodlers General of the Armies and I felt like my pen was venturing into broad/stub territory. I suppose Im left wondering if the Citrus Black is exceptionally dry, the General exceptionally wet, or a little bit of both. Has anyone else had this experience?

Sponsored Content

#2 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:44

Most of us have had experiences like this with iron gall inks like the Platinum Citrus Black. They are very useful for taming an overly wet nib.

And welcome to FPN from a fellow Texan. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#3 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:17

Most of us have had experiences like this with iron gall inks like the Platinum Citrus Black. They are very useful for taming an overly wet nib.

And welcome to FPN from a fellow Texan. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Much appreciated. I’m not from FPN, but I came here as fast as I could. Lol

#4 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 15:41

fpn_1515858104__img_3560.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#5 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 16:04

fpn_1515858104__img_3560.jpg

It does appear that using an IG ink first altered my expectation of what ink flow would be like for that particular nib. I couldn’t help but notice the orientation of your notebook; are you left handed? Being left handed was initially one of my greatest challenges of this hobby.

#6 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 18:30

It does appear that using an IG ink first altered my expectation of what ink flow would be like for that particular nib. I couldn’t help but notice the orientation of your notebook; are you left handed? Being left handed was initially one of my greatest challenges of this hobby.

fpn_1515868191__img_3565.jpg

PS. That really was some sloppy handwriting... I do hope that people tell me if they can't read my posts... DS.

Edited by Noihvo, 13 January 2018 - 18:31.

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#7 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 20:53

Im a pharmacist. You would need to become far more illegible before I had trouble reading it. :-)

#8 doggonecarl

doggonecarl

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 983 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 21:16

I suppose Im left wondering if the Citrus Black is exceptionally dry, the General exceptionally wet, or a little bit of both. Has anyone else had this experience?

Can't speak to the Platinum ink, but I use Noodler's General of The Armies in a Pilot  FP-78G with a fine nib, a dry writer. In all my other pens, GotA feathers and spreads to much.

#9 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 22:25

I found N-GOTA not to be overly wet, just not well behaved. However, I found that the Platinum IG inks are dry and if you were expecting a similar experience, N-GOTA would be a shock. 

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#10 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:15

I found N-GOTA not to be overly wet, just not well behaved. However, I found that the Platinum IG inks are dry and if you were expecting a similar experience, N-GOTA would be a shock.

I’ve also learned in the past few days that my choice of paper made a difference as well. Initially, both these inks were laid down on Moleskine paper, which I believe added to the misbehavior of the GOTA. On my recently acquired Rhodia paper, it’s been far more controlled and less feathery.

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:26

Oh, yeah the Moleskine paper is just depressingly bad for the price.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 mzoeller

mzoeller

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2018 - 23:05

I have a question about the color of GotA.  I don't have access to a local supplier, so shopping online is my only resource for ink, outside of what Office Depot and Walmart have.  One place looks really green, while another website will look more grey.  Is it a more green or more grey ink? I'm also color challenged in the green/tan range of colors, so that really doesn't help.   :P  I'd appreciate any thoughts on the color.

#13 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 20:12

I have a question about the color of GotA.  I don't have access to a local supplier, so shopping online is my only resource for ink, outside of what Office Depot and Walmart have.  One place looks really green, while another website will look more grey.  Is it a more green or more grey ink? I'm also color challenged in the green/tan range of colors, so that really doesn't help.   :P  I'd appreciate any thoughts on the color.

Your mileage may vary, but my bottle of GotA goes down a vibrant, grassy green. On Moleskine paper, it feathered quite badly and shifted to a turquoise upon drying. On Rhodia paper, it’s stayed pretty much the same grassy color. On Tomoe River, it dried to more of a fern green (green with gray undertones, if that helps). I’ve read many reviews where blue shades dominate after drying, but I haven’t been able to replicate it.

#14 mzoeller

mzoeller

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:22

Your mileage may vary, but my bottle of GotA goes down a vibrant, grassy green. On Moleskine paper, it feathered quite badly and shifted to a turquoise upon drying. On Rhodia paper, it’s stayed pretty much the same grassy color. On Tomoe River, it dried to more of a fern green (green with gray undertones, if that helps). I’ve read many reviews where blue shades dominate after drying, but I haven’t been able to replicate it.

Thank you Dolor-encausti!  This is very helpful.  I am looking for a greenish, warmish grey, and I don't think this is going to be it.  I haven't used much bottled ink and am just beginning to put my toe in the water, as they say.  I appreciate the information.

#15 Octo

Octo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:44

General of the Armies is known (and perhaps designed) to change colors  as it dries.  It does look different on  different  papers and under different lights.  That's what makes it so fascinating.

For a greenish grey look into Battleship Grey/USS Texas by Noodlers for Dromgooles. It is the historic grey-green that was used to paint battleships before the current color.  http://www.fountainp...-u-s-s-texas/.

Ask whether they would sell a sample.

Edited by Octo, 28 January 2018 - 01:45.

#16 Dolor_encausti

Dolor_encausti

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:41

Thank you Dolor-encausti!  This is very helpful.  I am looking for a greenish, warmish grey, and I don't think this is going to be it.  I haven't used much bottled ink and am just beginning to put my toe in the water, as they say.  I appreciate the information.

You’re very welcome. In addition to USS Texas suggested by Octo, also consider Diamine Graphite. It has very strong green undertones supporting the grey.

#17 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• 35,586 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2018 - 18:56

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention USS Texas. I am not a teal lover, but I enjoy this ink.

Sponsored Content

|