The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hard Black Rubber Eyedropper

how to open it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 22:21

I recently bought a huge lot of pens and am slowly starting to restore them.  One is a very old hard black rubber eyedropper, barrel stamped "Ernest A. Lewis Toronto". I can see the seam where it's supposed to open, but it won't.  I've tried a bit of heat, and short soak to see if ink would come out from the seam - nothing!  I don't want to heat the rubber too long for fear that it will distort or soak too long and discolour the pen. Any bright ideas out there please?

Sponsored Content

#2 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:29

Do you have really good high friction grippers to help you grip the section and barrel? This is important so that you have more control over how much pressure you put. Putting too much will lead to a crack.

Dry heat is the best idea I can one up with for HR. Water is not a friend here. Thought if you order it to dry heat then you could soak it in water and then if it oxidized the rubber brown you can use micromesh to polish out the outer layer and reveal the black under it again.

Another thing to try is to get water into the pen from the nib. Then leave it to soak from the inside for a few days. Maybe keep shaking the pen every now and then so that somehow the threads from the inside get water into them and loosen up?

#3 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 990 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 14:26

I have dry heat (bought a heat gun last week to replace my hairdryer), I have to be careful as it's VERY hot! And I have grippers, but I hadn't thought of soaking the pen from the inside.  Brilliant idea - thanks so much, I'll give it a go.

#4 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 990 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 20:28

I did manage to get the pen open and cleaned it out.  Thank you it works fine now.

#5 siamackz

siamackz

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 864 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2018 - 00:41

I did manage to get the pen open and cleaned it out.  Thank you it works fine now.

What worked?

Sponsored Content

|