Lamy 2000 Black Amber Fan Club

LightSabre

My L2KM50 arrived today, EF nib. Number 2931, a nice number (3x977 if I calculated correctly).

First observations: No booklet, no literature, strange! The finish is indeed mysterious, a brass metallic look that tends to tarnish a bit with handling. I like that. The fit is not as perfect as the advertising suggests, there is a definite seam between section and barrel, although the piston knob sits flush. I can live with this, filed under "pen-ness." I definitely like the beveled edges, rounded corners, matte surfaces that are nice to the touch. Very few other objects feel that good in the hand. The nib is without problems, a F line width with good ink flow that writes well at various angles. I feel comfortable with this pen, it speaks to me like few other pens, maybe the Pelikan M805 Stresemann. Not worth MSRP, but at around 250 with tax, definitely worth it. It reminds me of other well-machined objects, a MagLite or bicycle.

thanks for your perceptive review. 2931 is indeed a nice number. Added up it's 15, which is 6, the number of love and care, if one is into that sort of thing. Mine did come with quite a comprehensive booklet. Did you get it in the oversized presentation box? You have to pull back the double lid on the inside to get to the booklet.

I took forever to decide on a nib width. Lamy is broader than some other brands, and I normally prefer EF or sometimes F. But I wanted to learn to spill the ink a bit in my life, become free-style calligraphic about things and learn to write the beauty, so I decided to go for an M, realising B would be biting off more than I could chew. It works well so far, my hand is becoming broader and more flowing, but I do get quite particular about the inks that I can use with it. These have to be on the dry side, for now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightSabre

• Calabria

• A1979

• marlinspike

I too took advantage of the 60% discount to get an EF 2000 Black Amber. I had hoped for an F, but alas it was not to be. That said, it hasn't even arrived yet (Lamy USA printed the shipping label on Friday but didn't tender it to UPS until today :( ) and I'm already debating selling it as soon as it arrives or making it a safe queen. Somehow I forgot it doesn't have the viewing window, and a coworker tells me they are known to have insufficient cap retention in the pocket.

Hi Marlinspike, did you receive yours by now? I wonder what your view on it is after you've used it!

Dear Pen Friends, so far we have:

LightSabre, nr. 432, M.

Vintage, nr. 540, EF.

Calabria, nr. 2931, EF.

Jezza, tbc

Marlinspike, tbc

NOS, tbc.

Hi Marlinspike, did you receive yours by now? I wonder what your view on it is after you've used it!

I did, 2895/5000 with an EF nib. It started off like a true EF, which was a disappointment for me because everybody said that the Lamy 2000 writes broad. As I used it a bit, it broadened a bit to a EF-F, and then once I put Iroshizuku in it it became a proper F, which is ideal for me. It actually surprised me a bit in that I thought the Makrolon would always be my favorite, but after handling the Black Amber this is I think the most beautiful finish for the 2000. With the cap off, I think it might be my most attractive pen.

Edited by marlinspike

Mine did come with quite a comprehensive booklet. Did you get it in the oversized presentation box? You have to pull back the double lid on the inside to get to the booklet.

Thank you for that. I thought to check for a false bottom, but did not think to check for a false top!

absolutely - the design is wonderful and it goes well with the VW Golf, you are right. The origins in Bauhaus are important, but more so the revival of Bauhaus in product design in the Braun company after the war. Those designs also formed the basis of Apple's products. I am very happy you found an EF at 60% discount. How are you liking it so far??

Yes absolutely - postwar "concrete" design emphasizes the handling of the material. I think this is the most tactile of pens. It's a bit slippery at first, but warms to the touch and becomes very comfortable to write with. I'm actually totally liking it.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thank you for that. I thought to check for a false bottom, but did not think to check for a false top!

Ditto! I kept trying to look under the ink bottle and assumed LamyUSA had removed the booklet to lower the resale price. I found it now 😁 I'm a sucker for literature. Thanks LightSabre!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed something odd about this pen. Where I am living now (San Diego) it gets kind of cold in the house at this time of year. As I use it and put it down, my pen seems to go through heating up and cooling down cycles resulting in condensation on the nib. When I start writing again, the first two lines are very light and watery. This is actually annoying.

The heat conductivity of the metal gives it other odd properties. It's slippery when cold, but quite comfortable to hold when it warms to the hand.

I have the Lamy Edition 2000 with the plastic section covered with metal, and this pen doesn't have those problems.

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 3 weeks later...

I just realized that the finish on the L2K Black Amber is very similar to the coating on the handle of a pan from Italy (bought at IKEA) - same general color and surface, and also the same tendency to show fingerprints. If the finish on the pan is indeed related to that of the pen (some kind of Teflon?), that would be good news because it is scratch resistant,

fpn_1521597930__img_5295.jpg

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Dear pen friends,

Glad to hear the booklet is also in the box for the US market. And the link to the IKEA pan is of course very interesting. I have been trying to find out what the production process is, but I haven't been able to find out. Maybe I will contact Lamy (or, Lamy, if you are following this thread, please tell us!)

Just to update the record:

LightSabre, nr. 432, M.

Vintage, nr. 540, EF.

Calabria, nr. 2931, EF.

Jezza, 2368, EF

Marlinspike, 2895, EF

NOS, tbc.

So far I am the only one with a Medium nib.

I agree with Marlinspike, I prefer it to the Makrolon one. I also have found that the pen is very sensitive the wetness of the ink that I use. It can make a grade difference in terms of line width. The M nib with Lamy turquoise is too broad for me. The tried and trused Pelikan 4001 violet gives a true M, and I am now using Diamine sunset which moves a bit towards F (only a bit). I am thinking about a new ink to try out, and as always this is becoming a harrowing exercise in soul-searching.

A while ago I bought a bottle of Herbin blue azur, which is just too light for any of the F or EF nibs I use. I will try it and post a sample.

Happy writing all!

Thanks for checking in Pepsiplease69!

What are your thoughts about the pen? I'm sure you'll grow to love it! :)

LS

Thanks for checking in Pepsiplease69!

What are your thoughts about the pen? I'm sure you'll grow to love it! :)

LS

Im not terribly keen on it. Im okay with it... so so.

I like the makrolon version better.

I wrote two articles on my blog about Lamy 2000s.

https://nibandlens.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/lamy-2000-a-perspective/

And

https://nibandlens.wordpress.com/2017/11/27/lamy-2000-black-amber/

Ive tried to capture my thoughts and impressions pretty extensively there.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 of these which I picked for prices lower than the "normal" Steel 2000 from my local Australian distributor

0518 in fine

0575 in fine

I have 2 of these which I picked for prices lower than the "normal" Steel 2000 from my local Australian distributor

0518 in fine

0575 in fine

Congratulations! What do the numbers stand for?

I've been using my FP steadily for a few months now. Apart from some ink staining at the tip of the section, I'm liking it. It's strangely elemental, it gets cold at night and warms to my hand like a pebble when I write. Maybe it'll become a "lifestyle companion" (Lamy speak).

Edited by Calabria

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Congratulations! What do the numbers stand for?

I've been using my FP steadily for a few months now. Apart from some ink staining at the tip of the section, I'm liking it. It's strangely elemental, it gets cold at night and warms to my hand like a pebble when I write. Maybe it'll become a "lifestyle companion" (Lamy speak).

I don't know about numerology tbh :lticaptd:

It looks like the Aussie distributor got an early run from the 5000 that were made...

Both write well. I also have 2 normal steel 2000s and 3 Makrolons, so I knew what I was up for as far as the writing experience goes...these 2 will be kept for occasional use though, the steel is prone to scuffing and scratching over time

I'll check in. I have #3001 with what used to be a BB nib that was made a sharp italic by Mark Bacas. It is a bit heavy for long writing sessions, but I love the looks and (now) the way it writes.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I'll check in. I have #3001 with what used to be a BB nib that was made a sharp italic by Mark Bacas. It is a bit heavy for long writing sessions, but I love the looks and (now) the way it writes.

greg

Welcome! Nice number!

– Lin Yu-T'ang

It is usually warming to see someone keen on a pen but after reading those 400+ words in your second paragraph I think, well, it's a pen. Some of mine are quite nice too, yet I have no expectation a Valkyrie will carry them to the Gotterdammerung. Mine radiate ... the sort of pen-ness a pen radiates.

sorry for quoting an old entry in such an irrelevant topic but I need this for the times I need a quick laugh :)