Tell Us Why Do You Love Montbanc Pens?

Hector67

My love of Montblanc pens started a few years back thanks to a lucky £10, 5 fold bet on the Saturday football . My selection won me £410 and the next day was the Sheffield pen show my home town. So off I went with my winnings my hope was to purchase a special pen my wish list limited to the likes of Parkers , Lamy , ect my hope was to get a Lamy 2000 . Well after a quick walk round a saw a table with super high polished black cigar shaped fountain pens on i was hooked from that moment the classic shape and that massive nib not to mention a ink window well I was hooked right there. My first premium pen a 149 with a brass piston with an extra fine nib ( tweeked at the show to fit my writing style) cost £300 5 years later its still in daily use today .

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hector67

• meiers

• Ghost Plane

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neither love nor hate Montblanc pens.....After all 'tis only a pen......

Fred..

who never met a pen he didn't like......

Well, let’s see where to start.

My mom and I, though of course we had ballpoints, always used fountain pens for letters and cards and such. I always thought of fountain pens for “real” writing.

About 1984 or so, after accomplishing a somewhat minor goal, I splurged and bought a 149. I’d always seen them advertised in fancy magazines…. Anyway, paid $350. Big bucks to spend on a pen.

My mom had beautiful handwriting. For her 70th BD many, many, years ago, I asked what she’d like for a BD present. She’d seen my pen. She asked for a nice pen.

All of her friends and our family got together for a somewhat surprise BD party. I gave her 70 yellow roses and a 146.

I’m sure as I sit here typing away; I have at least 100 pens. For MBs, I have recently purchased an SE and WE, a Hemingway BP purchased new (dropped it...has a chip out of the cap), my 149, and my mom’s 146.

If I had to toss all but one pen, yes, you know which one I would keep. My mom’s. I really enjoy using it.

What a great story.... thank you.

I like MB pens for many of the reasons already mentioned. I have not bought any of my MB pens for investment reasons. I simply enjoy the quality of design and manufacture, along with the superior piston filling system and the wonderful nib feel; whether it's a fine or a BB.

My favorite nib of all time is not a MB nib, but MB is a very close 2nd in that regard and is far superior in all other aspects, at least IMO.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

Of all the pens I have my two 146's are my favorites followed by my Pelikan M805. There is just something about the weight, balance, and nib performance that put it above all the other brands I own. I love my other MB's as well but the 146's are my favorite.

Montblanc makes great pens. In my case, I'm.in the states and montblanc in Europe, so I can buy them from European sellers duty free and it makes them greatly competitive and priced. A 146 is $530 shipped new if bought duty free, so it competes against the gvfc classic, homo sapiens, Aurora's, etc. Is it not a great deal? (In my case anyhow.)

Them the special editions are just gorgeous! Sure, they are dressed up 146, but what is wrong with that? I can swap nibs around so I can travel with a resin body but I can choose the nib I like. I can use one set of tools to take them apart and clean and lube.

Then there are the nibs... Few companies nowadays make such great offer of nibs. Their ob is my favorite, the hand finish of the nibs makes them all unique! It's just wonderful.

Lastly, if cleaned and maintained properly, these pens can last several lifetimes. I have a pen for my 2 year old daughter, I will give it to her upon high school or University graduation. I plan on buying each of my kids one pen for when they graduate, and I know the pen will be there for when they graduate.

I too bought a pen for my fiance, we shall use it for all joint legal docs.

Also, I have montblanc pens from my father, grandparents, and uncles... How can I not love this brand?

PS: if I go into inks it shall be a long post.

Why Montblanc? (not specifically the pens, although I enjoy those very much as well)

In a word, lagniappe (pronounced LAN-YAP). Derived from French Creole of Lousiana, and common to the Gulf Coast of the USA, lagniappe is the added little item/gift included with an item when purchased. I believe this is also a custom elsewhere in the world, as well--I've just grown up on the Gulf Coast where we used this term frequently to describe a pleasant dealing with a retailer or vendor.

I'm lucky that I live within convenient driving distance of one fine Montblanc dealer (Dromgoole's in Houston) and one official Montblanc boutique. With every purchase from either of them, there's also a little extra added--a bottle of ink, a case, a book, a notepad, etc.

It's a rare feeling of appreciation that a company values your continued business by giving a little extra, and makes it feel like a personal relationship rather than merely a monetary one. May be the French je ne sais quoi is appropriate here as well.

Edited by jconn

There is just something about Montblanc that I have always liked. They feel special when I pick one up. Maybe because Montblanc is a Marquee Brand and is automatically associated with quality. I don't know, but I like them.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.