Tell Us Why Do You Love Montbanc Pens?

Hector67

I wrote the the lines bellow in the First Stop Forum. So it made me wonder about the reasons that trigger your love for MB FPs. So let's hear it!

I love Fountain Pens, I have written with one since I was 14. My first FP was a MB 149, given to me by my grandpa when entered highschool back in '82. This pen was my only FP for 30 years and had never needed a visit to service until five years ago when I sent it for polish and cleaning so I could pass it on to my second son. So, when talking durability, 30 years in continous service for a plastic pen is not bad at all. The pen returned with a new feeder, body polished and shinning, and a brand new metallic piston. I have over 20 MBs now, most are LEs purchased new.

I am a desk business rat. I use my pens for notes and signing. I am not a caligraphy expert, I don't have a journal and I only have extended writting sessions when outlining the next business. I do preffer the ink on paper feeling rather than the keyboard - screen experience, so I write with a FP on a nice notebook.

Why do I like MBs and do not mind paying the premium price? Because same as my grandpa, I believe all of my pens will outlive me, and I rather pass on a "jewel" to my offspring than just a pen. Same reason I buy mechanical watches, some quite expensive. This is why I buy my pens new... My kids know these are my pens, sometimes they even went with me when purchased. Some of them I have purchased with the purpose of giving to them when they complete something important in their lives, and they look forward to it.

I do not live an expensive or luxurious life. My business is one of service to others. I do not buy MB wallets or hand made shoes. I drive a 2012 SUV and live well below my income. My gift to my kids will be the education I provided for them, the love, example and advise of a father, one mechanical watch they can wear with pride and love and a few FPs that will be able to use for years and years.

So, IMHO a Montblanc pen is worth every penny, even at retail prices.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hector67

• meiers

• Ghost Plane

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this thread is a nice idea. The optimist in me hopes it will be as popular as the "why do you hate MB" thread recently started. The pessimist is thinking it will be lower traffic by a fair bit.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I think this thread is a nice idea. The optimist in me hopes it will be as popular as the "why do you hate MB" thread recently started. The pessimist is thinking it will be lower traffic by a fair bit.

Well Zaddick, this is why >I posted it in the MB forum LOL. We might find "friendlier" posts here.

To your question, I like many of their designs and appreciate their boldness even when the pens are not to my taste. I think the 149 is an icon for a reason, a fine writing experience and durability blended together. I also personally like the design, shape and size of the #9 nib. The history of good pens is a bonus, and the relative ease of finding a new pen and a boutique is another plus.

I also find their leather Penn cases to be well made, if too expensive, and am a big fan of their ink which is well behaved.

While I am not a fan of high and constantly raising prices, all their marketing does have the benefit of making my used pens easier to sell and even helping them appreciate to a certain extent. Essentially a rising tide lifts all boats. I mean you could have a 149 purchased in 1967 for $37, used and abused it for 50 years, and if the nib is still good and the pen working sell it for $350 today without much trouble. If it was in great shape you could sell it for $600. I think that is impressive.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Why do I like MBs and do not mind paying the premium price? Because same as my grandpa, I believe all of my pens will outlive me, and I rather pass on a "jewel" to my offspring than just a pen.

Doesn't that apply to every pen, whether it costs £1 or ££££££££. I could understand it if MB were offering something more for your money, but they're not.

~ Montblanc fountain pens are affordable, reliable daily writers, and fun!

Tom K.

Whilst I would agree that they are reliable and fun, affordable is not one of their virtues. They are grossly overpriced, as are all MB products, but I still love them. :)

Peter

~ Montblanc fountain pens are affordable, reliable daily writers, and fun!

Tom K.

Well said, Tom.

I cannot afford to purchase one every other day. But then I do not have to because they last a lifetime... and the pens I own and use are reliable and enjoyable writing tools. I am writing this on an eight hundred dollar Iphone that will be obsolete and recycled in a few years.

Edited by meiers

Doesn't that apply to every pen, whether it costs £1 or ££££££££. I could understand it if MB were offering something more for your money, but they're not.

Dear Bluey: a $1 item isn't exactly a "jewel". In my OP I mentioned I have purchased mostly LEs, and in most cases I bought them with one particular son in mind. To debate a little bit on MB not offering more for the money paid: I beleive it does. To elaborate, and please consider this is MY opinion. 30 years ago my grandpa passed on his 149 to me as a gift, if it had been a Lamy, a parker or any other low cost pen, I would probably had used it for a while and most probably it would have been stored or lost for ever. Being the pen a MB 149, I used it with care and love and now belongs to my 28 year old son. It was a special and expensive gift from my grandpa and I regarded it as one. If it had been his "disposable" desktop pen, I would probably had considered it like one and would have not taken such a good care of it. I think this is the kind of intangible value that a MB pen brings to the table. Again, this is my humble opinion.

I gifted a Meisterstück 149 (originally purchased in 1985) to my son a few weeks ago. The pen is in mint condition, working flawlessly and is now being used to write drafts, letters etc

Sounds like good value for the original outlay of money.

Edited by meiers

I collect vintage pens. Its hard to ignore the important role that MB played in the area of pen design generally. The 149 is the epitome of what we call classic design - it has survived almost unchanged for 70 years. But even before the 149, the MBs from the 20s and 30s are simply exceptional in design and build quality when compared to other makers. I dont much care for modern MBs or the LEs and SEs to be honest. But, the companys legacy and its contribution to the art and industry of fountain pen is what impresses me.

Edited by siamackz

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I collect vintage pens. Its hard to ignore the important role that MB played in the area of pen design generally. The 149 is the epitome of what we call classic design - it has survived almost unchanged for 70 years. But even before the 149, the MBs from the 20s and 30s are simply exceptional in design and build quality when compared to other makers. I dont much care for modern MBs or the LEs and SEs to be honest. But, the companys legacy and its contribution to the art and industry of fountain pen is what impresses me.

Have you read Barry Gabays article on the 149 in Pen World? I think you would enjoy it.

Edited by meiers

Dear Bluey: a $1 item isn't exactly a "jewel". In my OP I mentioned I have purchased mostly LEs, and in most cases I bought them with one particular son in mind. To debate a little bit on MB not offering more for the money paid: I beleive it does. To elaborate, and please consider this is MY opinion. 30 years ago my grandpa passed on his 149 to me as a gift, if it had been a Lamy, a parker or any other low cost pen, I would probably had used it for a while and most probably it would have been stored or lost for ever. Being the pen a MB 149, I used it with care and love and now belongs to my 28 year old son. It was a special and expensive gift from my grandpa and I regarded it as one. If it had been his "disposable" desktop pen, I would probably had considered it like one and would have not taken such a good care of it. I think this is the kind of intangible value that a MB pen brings to the table. Again, this is my humble opinion.

Don't forget that before MB started pushing up their prices, the same pen that now costs you ££££££ cost not a lot more than £1 and could be bought at the local corner shop. The "jewel" part is in the eye of the beholder.

personally a jewel to me is something that is of good quality and writes well, but you see it as being a Montblanc.

If the pen was passed down through generations, it should be a jewel whatever the brand and price.

Generally any MB pen you purchase today will be more desirable in the future than any other pen brand. So in that regards a MB is better value for your money. That is brand recognition working for you.

The best pens I own, in a collection of over 500 and spanning many brands and decades, are Pelikans and Montblancs. Other manufacturers make great pens too, but the Pels and MBs are head and shoulders above the rest of the pens in my boxes. Quality of writing, choice of color and design, ability to repair or have repaired, and the value they keep if I should decide to sell one... what's not to love? I like them.

Don't much care what the folks find desireable, but I'm glad they are happy and I truly wish they could allow me the same with my choices. But don't care. That other thread reminds me of a great life lesson I learned in the parking lot of a burger joint in 1967, watching two drunks beat the p**p out of each other over whether Ford or Chevy was better...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso