What Would Be Your Pelikan Pen Wish?

daenghafez

I wouldn't mind a M400 as a compact option but w/o the GT. ;)

The M750 is the size that you are looking for, but, alas, does have gold trim for the clip and crown.

I suppose that it could be possible to switch out the clip and crown for a palladium-plated set. Or to have a clip and crown electroplated into silver and make the switch. This would technically be a "frankenpen", but if you were doing it for your own gratification, why, that's another entire matter. Isn't the purpose of this thread, after all, to speculate on what we would like as a different variety of Pelikan ?

Interestingly, for me, the gold plated clip serves to nicely set off the silver plated body.

If that doesn't work for you, the M760 is all gold plated, body, clip, and trim. The vintage Pelikan 700NN is another good choice for this, albeit far more difficult to source. It's not silver, but it all matches ! :rolleyes:

The plating on both the M750 and M760 is reportedly less durable than for some other plated pens, but I've not personally observed problems on the ones that I have...

John P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Lam1

• BillH

• Bo Bo Olson

This isn't a wish for anything specific so much as it is a wish for Pelikan to announce/release whatever is in their "2018 is going to HUUUGE!" bag...

For all the excitement of rumors over the winter, this year seems rather less than ordinary so far. But MB hasn't complained about me fixing my habit over there :rolleyes:

Still waiting for an M800 in orange, or an M1005 Stresemann...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

A M1000 version of the M815 with four stripes on the cap.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Flexible nibs in all sizes. One of the most marvelous things of Pelikan is the possibility of change nibs. This advantage over other producers would be more powerful with more nibs options. Specially with flexible nibs.

Write, write, write. Use your pens not your fingers !!!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Flexible nibs in all sizes.

and that would be a coup d'état. :puddle:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

This isn't a wish for anything specific so much as it is a wish for Pelikan to announce/release whatever is in their "2018 is going to HUUUGE!" bag...

For all the excitement of rumors over the winter, this year seems rather less than ordinary so far. But MB hasn't complained about me fixing my habit over there :rolleyes:

Still waiting for an M800 in orange, or an M1005 Stresemann...

+1

This year has been such a disappointment. Sure the M600 Turquoise and the M815 are great pens. But, it is essentially August and only 3 pens!! :yikes: :(

Flexible nibs in all sizes. One of the most marvelous things of Pelikan is the possibility of change nibs. This advantage over other producers would be more powerful with more nibs options. Specially with flexible nibs.

That and the obliques and BB, BBB. They could charge a premium for these nibs and make a killing.

I'd also would like to see them making different designs for the nibs on the SE pens. MB does it, why can't Pelikan.

Price-wise they are about the same and, truth be told, MB also has to put a lot more of research/design in their pens (and this costs money), while Pelikan's design team seems to get together and ask "which previous vintage design have we not reedited?" or "what color have we not made in the last 5 years? Except red, of course. (God forbid!)". Five minutes later they have a SE pen.

+1

This year has been such a disappointment. Sure the M600 Turquoise and the M815 are great pens. But, it is essentially August and only 3 pens!! :yikes: :(

Pelikan has released 6 new pens already this year. Those would be the M600 Turquoise-White, M120 Iconic Blue, Spirit of 1838, M205 Clear Demonstrator, Maki-e Peacock, and the M815 Metal Striped. I would continue to expect a few more additions for later this year. Over the past several years, we have seen 9 to 11 releases annually. The M1005 Stresemann is widely rumored and I'm still holding out hope for an orange marbled M800. What I find curious is that we have yet to hear of an Olivine M2xx model to match their Ink of the Year. Looking back from 2015-2017, announcements came June 17 - July 3. We are now off what has been to date a fairly consistent timeline. Not sure if that means anything or not but that is one I've really been hoping for.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Sorry, I should have been clear in my rationale.

I intentionally didn't count the (gorgeous) Peacock and the (meh) 1838, because they are just for a select few.

So, I was thinking of the more reasonably available (non LE) pens.

Now, I totally forgot the M205 Demo - must be going senile, since I considered buying that one. But, again, the M205 is another disappointment, since it is just another re-edition.

I'm also surprised by the fact that they did not release the Olivine yet. I hope it doesn't mean that they will not release one.

I guess the disappointment is that most of us heard of a "big year" from several sources and it seems that we are lagging behind a bit. Not to mention that re-editions and monotonic pens don't get most of us excited (although sometimes we are surprised: the M815 was a very nice surprise "in person").

Edited by Lam1

Sorry, I should have been clear in my rationale.

I intentionally didn't count the (gorgeous) Peacock and the (meh) 1838, because they are just for a select few.

So, I was thinking of the more reasonably available (non LE) pens.

Now, I totally forgot the M205 Demo - must be going senile, since I considered buying that one. But, again, the M205 is another disappointment, since it is just another re-edition.

I'm also surprised by the fact that they did not release the Olivine yet. I hope it doesn't mean that they will not release one.

I guess the disappointment is that most of us heard of a "big year" from several sources and it seems that we are lagging behind a bit. Not to mention that re-editions and monotonic pens don't get most of us excited (although sometimes we are surprised: the M815 was a very nice surprise "in person").

sarge, thanks for your reply, it is always appreciated.

I'm with Lam1. And I apologize if I sounded like a whiner. The two very limited editions do not fit my collection, or my wants, so I don't count them either. And clear demos... noooooo! (I just don't get the attraction). But the M815 is definitely a winner and a very welcome addition to the flock.

But an M800 in material like the Ren Brown only a bright honey-apricot-orange... THAT would set me off like a rocket and I'd probably buy two :puddle:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

That and the obliques and BB, BBB. They could charge a premium for these nibs and make a killing.

I'd also would like to see them making different designs for the nibs on the SE pens. MB does it, why can't Pelikan.

They could introduce just BB and BBB for the M600, 800, 1000 or only for 800, 1000 (for exclusivity). That isn't a lot of nibs/effort to spice up the market.

Flexi nibs on order for a $50-80 premium, again only for 800, 1000.

Engineer :

They could introduce just BB and BBB for the M600, 800, 1000 or only for 800, 1000 (for exclusivity). That isn't a lot of nibs/effort to spice up the market.

Flexi nibs on order for a $50-80 premium, again only for 800, 1000.

I don't want to be the wet blanket on a rainy day but I think you can forget about variety in nibs, Pelikan makes money selling product, not repairing, adjusting, fiddling or otherwise dealing with products they have already sold. You can see how may pens get returned for problems with a nib now. Well add in all the returns from customers who don't really understand broad, oblique nib or flex nib writing and your $30-$50 premium disappears. It would be niece but I just don't think they will be going there any time soon.

It would be niece but I just don't think they will be going there any time soon.

Of course they won't, which is why we are on the 'Pelikan pen wish page'. ;)

FP's are becoming more of a status symbol rather than a writing instrument. Hence, the likes of MB will continue to flourish esp. PoA, WE and other LE series.

IMO, Pelikan is stuck in the middle.

Too expensive as a FP (for what it is) and not luxurious enough as a status symbol.

OTOH, Pelikan did offer a large variety of nibs years ago so why not re introduce them as a USP in a very crowded market?

I have three pelikan pens and it is the end of my Pelikan journey unless they bring out something enticing other than color schemes.

Now, in case of different nibs... :puddle:

Engineer :

I hear that an Olivine pen is in fact on track for release in the near term and the Stresemann will be late in the year. No other new releases for sure that I could tease out of the supply chain.

I too would love to see more exotic nibs but I agree with others that Pelikan has no motivation here to do this. It's been a lot of rehashed/refined variations of a fairly similar theme which has served them well to date. I just wonder at which point it will start to get old with the pen buying population.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

sarge, thanks for your reply, it is always appreciated.

I'm with Lam1. And I apologize if I sounded like a whiner. The two very limited editions do not fit my collection, or my wants, so I don't count them either. And clear demos... noooooo! (I just don't get the attraction). But the M815 is definitely a winner and a very welcome addition to the flock.

But an M800 in material like the Ren Brown only a bright honey-apricot-orange... THAT would set me off like a rocket and I'd probably buy two :puddle:

Thanks, BillH!

I also didn't mean to sound like a whiner... but that "M800-orange-dedicated-money" is burning a hole in my pocket! :lol:

Now, that "bright honey-apricot-orange" one would also get my money in a heartbeat! In fact, you should send a pic of your M800 Copper Gold :wub: to them to see if they make one like that too! :puddle: :puddle:

Of course they won't, which is why we are on the 'Pelikan pen wish page'. ;)

FP's are becoming more of a status symbol rather than a writing instrument. Hence, the likes of MB will continue to flourish esp. PoA, WE and other LE series.

IMO, Pelikan is stuck in the middle.

Too expensive as a FP (for what it is) and not luxurious enough as a status symbol.

OTOH, Pelikan did offer a large variety of nibs years ago so why not re introduce them as a USP in a very crowded market?

I have three pelikan pens and it is the end of my Pelikan journey unless they bring out something enticing other than color schemes.

Now, in case of different nibs... :puddle:

I think Pelikan is stuck in the middle because they are too conservative and afraid to take risks.

They don't innovate in design. Don't take me wrong, I love my M800s, etc., but the pen that brought me to the brand was the M640. Before that I held a M400 and dismissed it out of hand (and I heard of several people that had similar stories). So, I would like new designs. I would also like special designed nibs for the SE pens - they made it for the M120, why not for the Souveran line?

Finally, Parker (yeah, present day Parker :yikes: ), Aurora, Visconti, MB, Lamy, GvFC, Sailor, etc. all offer a much wider variety of nibs and, apparently, there are people that still buy them. So, there must be a market for that, right? Aurora is even bringing back the (semi-)flexible nibs!

In addition, they make some wrong decisions that prevent them to be classified in the luxury sector - don't get me started about the absence of warranty if you buy from/in Europe (so, if we visit Germany we should not bring a Pelikan, since there is no warranty :angry: )! Have you ever heard of a luxury brand in which you may not have warranty, depending on from which authorized retailer you buy?

Again, I don't mean to be a whiner, and Pelikan is, by far, my favorite brand. But, they could be even better!

I hear that an Olivine pen is in fact on track for release in the near term and the Stresemann will be late in the year. No other new releases for sure that I could tease out of the supply chain.

I too would love to see more exotic nibs but I agree with others that Pelikan has no motivation here to do this. It's been a lot of rehashed/refined variations of a fairly similar theme which has served them well to date. I just wonder at which point it will start to get old with the pen buying population.

Thanks for the update.

It is good news about the Olivine and Stresemann.

But, it is so weird that there is no word of the M800 Orange. One of my favorite retailers told me back in January that the M800 orange was due "soon"!

+1

As for getting old, I am out and so are four of my friends. We have 18 Pelikan FP's between us IIRC.

IMO, Pelikan is a four pen brand. 400, 600, 800, 1000.

Actually three, as most people find the 1000 too large.

Even the rehashed versions are skeptical, the pricing for M120 SE was quite optimistic.

I am eyeing/hunting 2/3 of the M640, but it is purely for eye candy rather than FP purposes. :)

Engineer :

They don't innovate in design. Don't take me wrong, I love my M800s, etc., but the pen that brought me to the brand was the M640. Before that I held a M400 and dismissed it out of hand (and I heard of several people that had similar stories). So, I would like new designs. I would also like special designed nibs for the SE pens - they made it for the M120, why not for the Souveran line?

In addition, they make some wrong decisions that prevent them to be classified in the luxury sector - don't get me started about the absence of warranty if you buy from/in Europe (so, if we visit Germany we should not bring a Pelikan, since there is no warranty :angry: )! Have you ever heard of a luxury brand in which you may not have warranty, depending on from which authorized retailer you buy?

But, it is so weird that there is no word of the M800 Orange. One of my favorite retailers told me back in January that the M800 orange was due "soon"!

Interesting you should mention the M640, they are the only ones that I am now on the lookout.

Niagara Falls 2007 (M600 version-ish of the M815).

Indian Summer 2009

Eternal Ice 2011 or Mt. Everest 2008

Quite a few brands play regional pricing and hence the warranty issues, not only pen brands.

Most items would hardly need warranty (esp. pens if tuned prior to dispatch) and hence global buying is encouraged.

A lot of Pelikan buyers from US, AUS etc. on FPN purchase from Cult Pens in the UK. :thumbup:

Nowadays, regional pricing works only for the uninitiated. :D I have been purchasing globally for years.

I have been told there is NO orange pen this year, so who knows?

Engineer :

+1

As for getting old, I am out and so are four of my friends. We have 18 Pelikan FP's between us IIRC.

IMO, Pelikan is a four pen brand. 400, 600, 800, 1000.

Actually three, as most people find the 1000 too large.

Even the rehashed versions are skeptical, the pricing for M120 SE was quite optimistic.

I am eyeing/hunting 2/3 of the M640, but it is purely for eye candy rather than FP purposes. :)

Pelikan has a boatload of fountain pens (entire product lines) outside the Souverän range which are major money makers for them (especially in Germany and France where they still use fountain pens in schools).

These include their school/starter pens such as Twist, Griffix, Pelikano Up, Pelikano, Style, Happy & Gallery etc., their medium priced fountain pens such as the Stola III, Pura & Classic (rebranded M200 series pens and the new P200 which is the same but a cartridge filler) which are all still in the medium price category and seem to be popular. Oh yes, the Classic line of pens are the same size as the M400 but... I suppose you get the point.

Only after those you have the Souverän range of pens and the Limited Editions and whatnot. Souverän range of pens are the most recognized to the people outside of EU and also to the demographic that visits FPN. So yes, I understand where the sentiment that Pelikan is a "three or four pen brand" can stem from but they really aren't. ;)

Edited by mana

Pelikan has a boatload of fountain pens (entire product lines) outside the Souverän range which are major money makers for them (especially in Germany and France where they still use fountain pens in schools).

Only after those you have the Souverän range of pens and the Limited Editions and whatnot. Souverän range of pens are the most recognized to the people outside of EU and also to the demographic that visits FPN. So yes, I understand where the sentiment that Pelikan is a "three or four pen brand" can stem from but they really aren't. ;)

Thank you for the insight.

I am fully aware of Pelikan's lineup but after a certain age only the 'three or four' pens matter, not for Pelikan though. :)

I am unsure of their revenue distribution across the range.

Theoretically, it is a 'three, four pen' brand and IMO continue to be referred to as such but practically the range is extensive.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

The rumors of the orange M800 seem to have evaporated. Pelikan has a very extensive portfolio of pens that I think we don't really appreciate here in the US since they aren't on our store shelves. Innovation is always a risk but I'm sure their current strategy much be paying some dividend or else they wouldn't pursue it like they do. As long as we keep buying, I don't see much incentive for the company to innovate their designs on any of their higher end models.

That’s very bad news on the Orange M800!!

Anybody heard anything about the M400 line this year?

When I asked, back in January, nobody (that I contacted) heard anything about M400s.