Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Nibs Yearning To Be Inked

uilleann

I want to go down the path of repairing nibs. Not to make money but to have the capability. And for right now I am only talking about mangled or bent nibs. I have been successful with tuning and re-aligning my nibs. But, recently I badly mangled a nib (14K). I got it working but its ugly. I am paying someone to fix that one.

So I have bought a nib block and a few different burnishers and have lots of other tools. I want to practice fixing mangled nibs. Not re-tipping (maybe later).

I need some experimental patients... sick nibs.

Anybody willing to sell me some or let me borrow some. If you let me borrow them I will try to fix them (no guarantees) and will send them back at my cost. I prefer 14K but will try steel. Or if you know where I might by some?

If you are interested pls pm me.

Thanks.

PS. I did a similar thing with making reeds for Uilleann Bagpipes. I rolled my own copper and brass tubing. Made my own cane cutting tools. Its a 7 hr process the way I do it. I also have sharpened knives to a hair whittling mirror edge and tuned knife flipping action, etched an anodized metals. Got to be good on all those so I think fixing nibs is something that will be equally tedious and fun for me.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jjlax10

• Twotracker2

• uilleann

• FrMark

I have a few steel nibs with screwed up tipping that you're welcome to try to tune back to writable (and feel free to keep) just pay me for shipping.

As for nibs to practice on, pick up a 10-pack of jinhao #6 steel nibs for a few bucks. That's what I practice with. They're an M nib, great for making into medium italics, architects, needlepoints, etc.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just replaced a medium 18k nib that came with a Parker Sonnet Cisele my wife gave me a few years back. It never wrote more than a sentence or two without taking a vacation. I've tuned (if you could call it that) plenty of scratchers and skippers among my four dozen or so fountain pens with pretty good success, so I decided to try to fix the Sonnet nib. Bad idea, that. I could send it on faith.

Twotracker2

The First Law: "We work to become, not to acquire." --Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)

The Second Law: "Simplicity is the exact medium between too much and too little." --Sir Joshua Reynolds (and many others)

The Third Law: "Don't believe everything you think." --Bumper sticker (author unknown)

When I was learning I bought a bunch Nemosine nibs. Inexpensive but well made.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

• 2 weeks later...

would you be interested in working on a parker 75? I think the problem might be the feed which got "slightly" damaged when I tried to remove the nib (unsuccessfully) in an effort to make it write. It will write for a sentence or two, much better and less scratchy than before I tinkered with it but the ink feeding needs a break to catch up after a while. When it's fully wet it's a nice nib. I can't decide if I want to sell it for parts and get something less costly that actually works right or to try to buy a new feed/nib for it or find some one who can fix it. Thoughts?