The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Mix And Match Hacks

diy hack mix and match

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:01

finding another way to re-use my Hero 3022 pen portion, now mated to the Delike New Moon 3 Barrel & Cap, made for a pen 38g ( 23.8 uncapped, and un inked ) at 112mm un capped, its just long enough for me to use it uncapped with my Asian size S hand. The pen aesthetic is pretty mice too when uncapped with 48mm length to the section making it rather interesting proportioned ( roughly 55% is barrel and 45% section in length ) and most of all as a hooded nib that section can be fairly used lengthvise , a nice pocket pen it made , not for those with large hand though

49982954013_a0cc18c450_k.jpgDelike New Moon 3 + Hero 3022 , on Flickr

Sponsored Content

#122 Ardakilic

Ardakilic

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 19:32

I wonder if this should be here, but now the pen is more Chinese than Japanese, so here goes:

pip1hX0.jpg

Paili 013 nib, Wing Sung 3001 Section and Pilot Metropolitan Body

I've been using my Pilot Metropolitan (actually MR, the European version) for a while. Recently, I realized it started to leak ink to my finger while writing. After a little bit inspection. I realized the section was cracked. I re-purposed the Pilot nib to my other Chinese pens as a mean to upgrade back then. Then either from here or FPN, I read that Pilot 78g and Pilot metro sections are interchangable. However, nowadays the 78g (and even the Chinese genuine ones) are more expensive than the Pilot Metropolitan itself.

Then I got an idea:

I decided to get Wing Sung 3001 (cheapest 78g clone that I could find, $1.5ish for a pen). I replaced, but it was not good in the first place (yup, I have another Pilot MR, too). I also didn't like the golden color.

I used metal polish to convert that colden collar's color to silver, and it sort of worked. Also, trying harder the screws made it fit into the pen properly.

One thing remained for me to fix. The nib. EF was too fine for my taste.

I had a dead Paili 013 / Wing Sung 3013 lying around, and the nib was there to be salvaged.

I merged them all, and here's the result. For only $1.5, I quite like the outcome.

Edited by Ardakilic, 23 June 2020 - 19:37.

#123 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:56

For a bit of spicing up the solid colour,I had my Delike New Moon ( original version ) Coral Blue pen part swapped for the Midnight Blue version , you can do that to the NM-2 also ( same colour options )

49914913731_bba6f643b6_k.jpgDelike New Moon original version, on Flickr

#124 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 14:34

I bought a Hero 2065 just for the 10K gold nib. This pen is so gaudy I wouldn't want to use it in public. A Jinhao 500 barrel  does fit on the Hero's section.

The Hero 2065 has an interesting converter with a tiny spring to break surface tension. I like that.

You can see what I actually did do. Fitted the Hero nib into the Jinhao pen.

I wonder... Is the Hero 2065 made to take the same cartridge as a Hero 359?

There's another Jinhao 500 on the way & there's a Oliver made Indian Fine tipped nib for that......

Attached Images

• jinhero.JPG
  • jinheronib.JPG

#125 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 03:59

Speaking of 10K gold nib , there were and there are many variant from various brand , Fuliwn once had a special form factor 10K nib that take 5mm feed ( slim feed ) and here its modded to be placed onto a Hero 5028. I need to shorten ( and also round off the corner to made it more a spoon shape ) the feed to made it fit better but all work well , now a great EDC for even those pesky iron gall ink

50475138493_6da303fb9b_k.jpgHero 5028 upgraded, on Flickr

Edited by Mech-for-i, 14 October 2020 - 15:27.

#126 WarrenB

WarrenB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2020 - 20:03

I had a Platinum Carbon desk pen lying in a drawer, rejected and near forgotten. I was looking at it again, and thought the section threads didn't look a million miles away from a Jinhao 51a connector. I had a barrel and cap from a 51a I had mangled. Would they fit?

50517779267_354c7555f0_o.jpg

No they would not. But the barrel and cap from the second 51a I just bought, slightly wider in diameter, did.

50517611056_52e3589e55_o.jpg

There we are, an interesting combination of near-elegance and flashy training shoe. The only hiccup is a step behind the threads that the barrel won't fit over, leaving a small gap. A spare o-ring disguises it well enough.

50517611736_ec566601dc_o.jpg

50517780717_fa618f736e_o.jpg

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, hack, mix and match

Sponsored Content

|