Parker 61 Repair Questions

moomaloo

Hello all and happy new year. A bit of a newbie enquiry here but I have spent a lot of time researching these forums and elsewhere...

I have a nice Parker 61 Mk III which was my dad's. It's nothing particularly special (a rolled gold converter model) but it writes well and I like it because it has been in the family for years.

The only real issue it has is the commonplace 'missing arrow'. I didn't think I would care about this really but it turns out I do...!

After looking for ages for a replacement gold arrow (and failing), I managed to find a new/old stock custom hood with gold arrow intact.

So... My first question is should I replace the hood or somehow get the arrow off the new hood and glue it onto the existing one?

I have never dismantled the hood on a 61 but there is a lot of good information about how to do it here and I am very tempted to give it a careful go. But should I? Would 'simply' replacing the arrow be the best thing and, if so, does anyone have any tips on how to do it?

Secondly (and finally), if I do replace the hood I am finding it impossible to get hold of any shellac here in my part of the UK (or online in the UK for a sensible price). The only thing that keeps coming up is shellac finger nail varnish/glue and I'm guessing that can't be the same thing...! - Or is it..?

Do I actually need shellac to secure the new hood or can I get away with anything else? Or even use nothing at all? I know not to use 'super glue' or anything nasty like that but I find myself wondering if PTFE tape (plumbers thread sealant tape) might do the trick...? It is not permanent and is easily removed...

That's all. Thanks for your help,

Tim

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moomaloo

• hari317

• siamackz

• FarmBoy

Transfer of the arrow is not the way to go. Swap the shells.

ETA: buy the old field and marshal pen repair book. It suggests PVA adhesive.

I have a few personal 61s where I have used nothing. I have not faced any ink seepage issues. Your experience may differ.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks Hari317. That is very helpful. PVA adhesive is plentiful and cheap so I will consider it...

Since posting my original questions I think I may have discovered another problem...: I had assumed that the hood of a '61 could be removed directly off the collector and nib assembly (like a '51) but I've been reading further here and it seems (?) that the collector/nib is actually somehow screwed inside the hood..? If so, I think I'll need a special tool to remove it - though I've no idea what...?

61 collectors slide into the hood. The 65 has a collector that screws in.

What type of 61 do you have? Capillary filling type or the cartridge converter type?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

To disassemble a 61 you remove the connector, you do not unscrew the hood.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

61 collectors slide into the hood. The 65 has a collector that screws in.

What type of 61 do you have? Capillary filling type or the cartridge converter type?

It's a Mk III converter type with the filler converter fitted.

My recommendation is that you give up on any idea of replacing the arrow on the original hood as it's impossible to do that job as perfectly as Parker originally did it.

I don't have any 61's, but there's no shellac holding on the hoods of my 2 Parker 51's, and they don't leak from anywhere.

It's a Mk III converter type with the filler converter fitted.

Simply twist and pull the converter out in the nirmal fashion.

Submerge your section, in a diluted dishwash detergent solution for a few hours. You will see old ink run out. Change solution. Repeat.

Now with a pair of surgical gloves for grip, unscrew the connector from the section. Be careful to not crush and break the connector while unscrewing it. An empty cartridge inserted in section provides some support against crushing.

Unscrew the connector. The golden ring will want to fall off. Take care of it and put it away some where you can find it again.

Now the collector holds the nib and narrow black feeder. If you are lucky it will simply fall out of the shell.

Do this far and report if you want.

Thanks for all your help on this but I simply cannot budge the hood. So, I'm going to put it in the hands of an expert to swap the hoods over. Hopefully it should be too expensive as I already have the replacement part...

Can anyone recommend someone here in the UK?

Thanks again.

Ok - an update... I went back to it and managed to get the hood off. The narrow black feeder can be carefully pulled out but the collector and nib are stuck at the moment. Is it a matter of further soaking or should I try something else?

Thanks.

Further update.... Grrrr..... I managed to get the collector out of the hood but cracked it in the process.... Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement collector for this pen?

(Wish I'd never started now! But you have all been great)

Further update.... Grrrr..... I managed to get the collector out of the hood but cracked it in the process.... Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement collector for this pen?

Been there done that, its the price we pay to learn. This hobby would be very dull for me if I had a 99.99% success rate :)

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

You can get a foil pack of shellac flakes very cheapy on eBay, dissolve in methylated spirits et voila. I prefer to use rosin sealant for its lower release temperature, esp for thinner/more modern/less robust plastics. If you like, PM me your address, I'll send you enough for this job folded up in some wax paper.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Have you tried a D.I.Y. store for shellac? It's used for wood refinishing at times. I bought a litre can and refill the small bottles I keep in my pen tool-kit.

Happens. But it can be avoided and patience is the key. I saw your updates only now. I was dealing with my own pen problem a duofold.

Once the connector is out, clean the threads of the hood to remove every trace of adhesive. Use a wooden toothpick for this. Now using the black feeder itself, grip it with fingers and gently coax the collector out. Or you can fashion a dowel with a toothpick to aid in pushing the collector out.

I believe spare collectors should be available. Fivestarpens.com

Edited by hari317

You can get a foil pack of shellac flakes very cheapy on eBay, dissolve in methylated spirits et voila. I prefer to use rosin sealant for its lower release temperature, esp for thinner/more modern/less robust plastics. If you like, PM me your address, I'll send you enough for this job folded up in some wax paper.

Thank you! That's very generous. P.M. Sent.