Lamy Boutique Opens In San Francisco

ErrantSmudge

Somebody needs to drop by and ask what the phone number is. I can do that in April.

I dropped by in person yesterday and got the business card for the location's general manager, for the best contact number: (312) 909-6811

They don't have italic nibs in yet, but are awaiting a delivery from Germany (but arrival date is unknown). For now, the only way to get an italic nib at the location is to purchase a pen from the Joy line and swap the nib from that onto your other Lamys. They do, however, have plenty of the special edition vibrant pink Al-Star in stock (which looks more like a purple than a pink, in person).

Their pen testing station is set up with ready-to-go Safaris, Al-Stars, and Joys, with various nib sizes to try out: Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, 1.1 mm italic, 1.5 mm italic, 1.9 mm italic. They have both the all-plastic and aluminum-capped Joys to test out, so if you have concerns about how the different lengths between those feel, you can see for yourself!

When trying out the Extra Fine vs. their Fine nibs, I didn't see much of a difference between the two in person. When I asked the people working at the store about it, I learned that Lamy doesn't actually make a separate EF nib- their EF nibs are just Lamy's Fine nibs that have been ground down, so there may not be reliable consistency between any of their EF nibs. They did, however, offer to let me physically look at multiples of their EF nibbed pens to see which one looked the finest to me, if I wanted.

Even though their more upscale pens are in the glass cases, they have tester pens of all of them. You just need to ask a store rep. in order to try them. In addition to all the fountain pens, they also had Lamy's pencils, ballpoint, and rollerball pens around the store.

I ended up purchasing an Al-Star in blue-green with a Fine nib (my first Lamy pen!) plus added a converter. The pen came with 1 blue ink Lamy cartridge. I'm not sure how Lamy pens usually come when purchased elsewhere, but for all of the Safari and Al-Star pens at this location, at least, they all have a large barcode sticker that is adhered to the pen's cap. Getting a pen box is optional - the cashier asked if I wanted a box at all, or if I was fine walking out the store with just the pen in hand. I asked for a box (a black cardboard box at no extra charge). Once I got home and tried to remove the barcode sticker from the pen, it left adhesive residue, which I had to scrape off with a kitchen scouring sponge. (I was so scared of scratching up the finish!!!)

Overall, I would visit the store again for the in-person shopping experience (and to support the existence of the store so that more pen shops will come to the area!); the staff was friendly and helpful (without being overbearing in such a small space). But note that the experience comes at a premium, and their pens are sold at MSRP; the pen + converter cost me a total of $57.50 (sales tax in San Francisco is 8.5%).

Both the Lamy store and the mentioned Patrick & Co. stationary store are located less than a couple minute walk from the Montgomery BART station. One sad thing I realized, however, is that Patrick & Co. is closed on both Saturdays and Sundays, so if you're looking to pick up some paper while you're in the area, either come on a weekday or go to Mai-Do at Japantown (via bus 38). If you're into Moleskine, their store is located 2 storefronts up the street from Lamy's.

Edited by Aquabat1020

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• bogiesan

• Calabria

• inkstainedruth

I ended up purchasing an Al-Star in blue-green with a Fine nib (my first Lamy pen!) plus added a converter. The pen came with 1 blue ink Lamy cartridge. I'm not sure how Lamy pens usually come when purchased elsewhere, but for all of the Safari and Al-Star pens at this location, at least, they all have a large barcode sticker that is adhered to the pen's cap.

That sounds pretty typical for the Safaris I have purchased - they have a barcode sticker attached to the cap, though I've been able to remove them without leaving behind sticky residue.

• 2 weeks later...

Have more people visited the flagship store?

Do they carry the 2018 Limited Edition pens?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Have more people visited the flagship store?Do they carry the 2018 Limited Edition pens?

If you scroll,back a few days you will find the phone number for the shop. Call ‘em and ask?

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• 3 weeks later...

Have more people visited the flagship store?Do they carry the 2018 Limited Edition pens?

I just visited the store and didn't see the 2018 LE pens yet (March 29). They are waiting for a shipment of some of the more interesting merchandise which sold out quickly.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I hope to visit the San Francisco store first week in April. Plans are flexible, though, might not make it. Plan to take some pix and notes. Would like to see those red (leather?) two- and three-pen cases. Shopping for neither pens nor inks.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I hope to visit the San Francisco store first week in April. Plans are flexible, though, might not make it. Plan to take some pix and notes. Would like to see those red (leather?) two- and three-pen cases. Shopping for neither pens nor inks.

the red pen cases were sold out when I visited

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I am generally impressed with the shop in the sense that it shows a serious commitment by Lamy. Even though the store is small there's no way it's cheap. It's right in the heart of the financial district.

I am less impressed with the fact that they sell everything at MSRP. ...though I accept that they don't want to take sales from their online retailers who I'd bet are responsible for moving a bulk of Lamy product in the US.

(I didn't feel bad later ordering a pen online that I'd previewed in the shop. Lamy wins either way...)

Edited by sketchstack

the red pen cases were sold out when I visited

Of course. Thanks. No reason to visit now. Saved me a trip into town from Cupertino.

I'm late to seeing this, but wow on the original post for pictures.

I'm lost - Lamy is selling all their stuff in here and it's readily available. Yet, 2017 they seemed to basically be turning their back on the USA. So many confusing emotions.

I'm late to seeing this, but wow on the original post for pictures.

I'm lost - Lamy is selling all their stuff in here and it's readily available. Yet, 2017 they seemed to basically be turning their back on the USA. So many confusing emotions.

Probably worth noting that the US distributor for Lamy changed during this time period. While there was a slight bump in some pricing, the newer distributor seems to be more keen on bringing a wider range of Lamy products to the US. For example, Goulet Pens shows listings for some of the oblique nibs on their 2000 model.

Of course. Thanks. No reason to visit now. Saved me a trip into town from Cupertino.

They're on order but I wasn't given a date.

– Lin Yu-T'ang