Lamy Boutique Opens In San Francisco

ErrantSmudge

I stuck my nose in a newish bookstore today. It's smallish and the selection wasn't so great (they will not give the Barnes and Noble that's ten miles away from it any real competition -- especially given that the B&N is in the next county, which has a lower sales tax then Allegheny County does). But I was somewhat bemused to see that they had a nice range of Leuchtturm products, including a selection of the pen loops.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• bogiesan

• Calabria

• inkstainedruth

I stuck my nose in a newish bookstore today. It's smallish and the selection wasn't so great (they will not give the Barnes and Noble that's ten miles away from it any real competition -- especially given that the B&N is in the next county, which has a lower sales tax then Allegheny County does). But I was somewhat bemused to see that they had a nice range of Leuchtturm products, including a selection of the pen loops.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just visited the place - got me a nice capless rollerball and a bottle of ink, and tried out several pens, surprised how cool the Dialog 3 mechanism feels...it was indeed rather on the expensive part even with the cheap US dollar so decided to stick to the basics. Also - surprised that they didn't have the last LE as I saw it on the Frankfurt airport gadgets store.

Also - before me a guy purchased a Lamy 2000 :)

Overall - definitely a must visit place if you come to SF.

I think the reason for no LEs is that the boutique is an initiative of Lamy's new USA distributor, and the new distributor never handled the 2017 LEs - only 2018 forward.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Google returns a phone number for the shop:

(415) 757-0670

Wonder if they accept mail orders?

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Great news. Recenrly in Russia we have got an official distributor and they are active at different festivals but as I know don't plan to open a shop. But every city deserves one :puddle:

I think if you want mail order, you're probably better off with one of the online retailers (Goulet/Vanness/Anderson/Pen Chalet, etc) that sells Lamy. The Lamy boutique prices are more or less Lamy suggested retail, certainly more that say, Goulet charges. I'm willing to pay retail for the in-person experience and opportunity to see and try out the pens, but otherwise you're better off getting the discounts from the online sellers.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I think if you want mail order, you're probably better off with one of the online retailers (Goulet/Vanness/Anderson/Pen Chalet, etc) that sells Lamy. The Lamy boutique prices are more or less Lamy suggested retail, certainly more that say, Goulet charges. I'm willing to pay retail for the in-person experience and opportunity to see and try out the pens, but otherwise you're better off getting the discounts from the online sellers.

I would much rather spend my money with one of the Lamy dealers who support FPN. But I don’t see those very interesting Lamy red leather pen cases on anyone’s site. I’ve checked all the major Lamy suppliers, do you know of any who stock those cases?

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

On the Goulet Pens You Tube channel, there is an interesting one hour interview with the Lamy CEO done in Germany recently by Brian Goulet. The CEO explains the brand concept and the approach to the USA market ... I found it very interesting.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and all the great pen stores have closed .... it is great to see LAMY bring their positive approach and great products back to our area in their very own store!

I think the reason for no LEs is that the boutique is an initiative of Lamy's new USA distributor, and the new distributor never handled the 2017 LEs - only 2018 forward.

Which L.E.s did it not handle? The previous distributor sold Lamy Petrol and Lamy Pacific, and Lamy Charged Green, for instance, which are L.E.s.

Also, having watched Brian Goulet's interview with the Lamy CEO, it doesn't seem like the San Francisco store is a USA distributor's initiative. It seems more like Lamy HQ initiative to begin their expansion into the USA. They treat their stores as testing ground for product feedback and popularity, according to the interview.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Which L.E.s did it not handle?

The boutique store doesn't have the 2017 LEs in stock. They will have the 2018s.

I actually doubt if the 2017 LEs are still in stock at Lamy.

Usually the LEs are gone fast.

There might be some stores that did not sell all stock, but a new store would not be able to get them from Lamy.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Any idea if they have a phone number that actually rings? The one that google turns up does not. Also, any idea if they had any CP1 tri pens?

FWIW, in the Brian Goulet interview with the Lamy CEO, it was mentioned that an East Coast Lamy boutique will open in New York SoHo this spring.

Just need one in Boise, Idaho.

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea if they have a phone number that actually rings? The one that google turns up does not. Also, any idea if they had any CP1 tri pens?

I'm wondering the same thing. I saw another phone number published somewhere and it was to the NY US distributor headquarters. And the website published on Google is more or less a placeholder. Not sure why they'd want a different website than "lamyUSA.com" ...

I found this phone number on the Lamy USA site:

tel:+1-415-757-0566

http://lamy-usa.business.site

I tried calling it right now but since the store isn’t open at this hour it went to a voicemail. I’m hoping to check out the store later today and will ask them for their store number if the one above doesn’t work!

Somebody needs to drop by and ask what the phone number is. I can do that in April.