Parker 61 Nib Size And Repairs

MichieMiche

Hello,

I am still in limbo about a recent purchase of a Parker 61.

I have done some reading and have realised that I have to do a capillary to cartridge conversion. Is this the right part to use (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parker-61-Capillary-Converter-Connector/173082162337?hash=item284c8034a1:g:RsgAAOSwdGFYxc~2)

I would also like to hear your thoughts about repairing the pen. Is it worth repairing? Have I overestimated the repairs or do I need a special tool? Please, let me know.

Additionally, any info on the nib type and/or size would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Please, let me know.post-5743-0-64517700-1515461282.pngpost-5743-0-83380200-1515461297_thumb.pngpost-5743-0-93345200-1515461401.png

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MichieMiche

• christof

• richardandtracy

• mitto

The nib looks to be a broad stub. For conversion to a C/C pen you need all the internals of the C/C version and not just the connector.

Khan M. Ilyas

I would say that this is not a repair to be attempted by an amateur restorer, but a very attractive pen to sell on as parts, I know of people who are looking for that hood, the cap looks perfect and the nib is unusual.

Unless the pen has some special significance that would be my advice.

I agree. Even if one succeeds to acquire a C/C version nib section or successfully converts the capilliary nib section to a C/C one, the barrel of capilliary 61 would not fit the C/C connector as the threads on both are different.

Khan M. Ilyas

It probably would be easier just to repair the capillary filler on this. I have never done a conversion (since I am in love with capillary fillers) and don't know how difficult this is, but why don't you buy just a c/c version of a 61 if you prefe these?

MNVBel,

The nib looks like a Broad Italic to me, as it's almost identical to my monster one.

You have a number of options.

1. Change to a c/c. You have identified the best part available. If you decide to go ahead with this, you do need to trim the feed, and the best reference I know of is the 'Pen Repair' book seen on one of the co-author's web page here: http://www.penpractice.com/ .
  2. You could break the pen up for spares. I have seen nibs like that on their own sell for £30-£40. I don't, personally like that idea as it means the death of another P61.
  3. Finally, you could purchase the additional parts of the pen as spares and complete it. Best again to use the 'Pen Repair' book as a reference. You will need a capillary housing and some capillary material.

fpn_1515485582__dscf0080b.jpg

Regards,

Richard

Hello Everyone,

Thanks! I really appreciate the advice. I am drawn to the nib of the pen but I underestimated the repairs.

Thank you for the heads up about the extra parts which I would need if I proceed with the capillary to cartridge conversion.

If I understand correctly the three options are as follows:

1. keep the nib and use it in a non-capillary version of the pen and sell/trade the spare parts.

2. repair the pen by buying a complete filler unit (@christof)

3. do the conversion. This would involve trimming the feed (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/39324-parker-61-capilliary-to-cartridge-conversion/), buying a barrel and buying the converter part (@richardandtracy)

I think that options 1 & 2 are the simplest.

Thanks (@mitto and @richardandtracy) for identifying the nib type and size!

Happy New Year!

MNVBel

Personally, I'd go for option 2.

There is a risk, you see, with changing the nib in the P61 c/c version (your option 1). The hood/shell is very thin and is of a plastic that can warp and shrink. They can sometimes shrink so hard onto the clear finned collector you can't get them out without destroying the shell or collector. If you can't get the collector out, you will have difficulty getting the nib off (see the tabs gripping the underside of the feed in my photo above, well there is another on top that totally prevents you from pulling the nib out through the feed aperture on the underside of the hood/shell without destroying the nib and/or shell). Consequently, the 'recipient' pen might not be able to receive the nib.

Now, this does not always happen, but does often enough to need to be aware of it.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited to add a photo of the P61 nib tabs (photo taken for illustrating how to modify a P61 nib to fit in a P51):

post-7927-1210163751.jpg

My choice would be:

- find a nib expert to change your walloping P-61 nib to a P-51 nib. The 51 is a great pen that will last another 75 or 10 years. Best fp ever made.

- ask if a skilled repair expert can change the capillary filler and feed to a cartridge/converter. Arthur Twyddle seems to have done this, maybe routinely, in the '60s and '70s. (If you are in the UK, maybe Battersea Pen Home can do this?). It's not a do-it-yourself project.

(Note: I just don't like the capillary fillers...)

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I think it would be easiest to just find another 61 with a damaged nib and install the nib you have.

The next easiest would be to just install a new filler.

Both are easily done.

Do not buy a filler that is damaged, it isn't worth the effort to install.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I can offer a working cappilliary filler unit to the OP. But I believe the shipping charges through DHL are exhorbitantly high. Anyhow, I would request OP to contact me back channel. I would see if I can ship through Pakistan Post.

Khan M. Ilyas

Regarding the specific brass connector you linked to on eBay, the method specified for that conversion involves shortening both the feed and the collector, which is tricky. It does use the original barrel, but you are limited to either using mini Parker cartridges or the very small open-style Parker squeeze converter, unless you also want to pull the spring-loaded capillary cover assembly and possibly ream out the barrel a bit (which lets you use full-sized cartridges or converters).

It's an interesting project that I've done using spare P61 parts, but it's not the shortest path to getting a useable pen for someone that only has one!

Hello,

I apologise for the delay in responding. Thanks to @welch @FarmBoy and @parkergeo and @christof. Thanks, Mitto! I really appreciate your offer to assist me.

Thanks @richardandtracy, I did not know that the nib for a Parker 61 could be converted to a nib for a Parker 51.

Everyone, I have good news. I just won a Parker 61 Flighter with a converter on eBay today for a low price; my pen cost less than twice the price for the part that I would use to do a 61 capillary to converter version.

I will change the nib in the Flighter to the broad oblique. I thought more about it and realised that I preferred a version with a converter. I agree with you all that parts from vintage pens should be handled with care. I will take care to do so.

Thanks everyone for your kind advice!

MNVBpost-5743-0-10962100-1515962575_thumb.jpg

I would say that this is not a repair to be attempted by an amateur restorer, but a very attractive pen to sell on as parts, I know of people who are looking for that hood, the cap looks perfect and the nib is unusual.

Unless the pen has some special significance that would be my advice.

Hi Beechwood,

Thanks for the advice!

When people are so nice and thankful for the advice that has been given it makes you proud to be part of this forum

...Thanks @richardandtracy, I did not know that the nib for a Parker 61 could be converted to a nib for a Parker 51. ...

My first P61's nib is in a P51 now, the rest of the pen collapsed after 25 years use as virtually my only pen. It so happens that that P51 is now my best writing P51. No a co-incidence, as I think Parker learnt a lot about making a good nib with the P51 and made the nib even better when they designed the P61. Shame about the rest of the P61 & Parker's poor material choice.

Regards,

Richard.

...Shame about the rest of the P61 & Parker's poor material choice.

I do not 100% agree with this. The early Parker 61 (with thin clutch ring) were made of a different, much harder plastic (similar to the P"51" ) than the later ones. These a nice and sturdy pens and I have one in daily use:

33853795234_75769ef698_c.jpg

C.

Sorry, I do forget, I use the P61 c/c version almost exclusively. I have a black capillary & it seems very sturdy. The Maroon c/c version seems the worst for age related degradation (25 years as an only pen, at approx. 12 pages a day, acid skin that attacks the plastic on the outside, acidic ink that attacks the plastic from the inside & the hood goes porous with microcracking). The black seems the best, though c/c version hoods can distort and is particularly seen in the Flighter versions in my experience.

Regards,

Richard.

The black seems the best, though c/c version hoods can distort ...

You're right. And the same problem exists on the latest version of the Parker "51" also. The plastic shrinks and is soft, which makes the worst combination with the caps with fingerclutches inside.

C.