Repost In Gb Section - I.d Of Uk Pen Post 1930S

dave321

it would be nice if someone could identify my dads old pen,

the nib says "warranted 14ct 1st quality" and on the pen barrel, "made in England".

as you can see the barrel unscrews in half.

unfortunately the button cap is lost.

I am thinking it is something like a stephens button filler. it has a herring / barleycorn marking on the cap and barrel

post-15118-0-90189400-1515415046_thumb.jpg

post-15118-0-73133300-1515415150_thumb.jpg

Edited by dave321

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• CS388

• peterg

• dave321

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made by Langs, I think, and it's probably a bulb filler, activated by depresing that metal stud. The bulb ( a large sac) attaches to the part with the threading nearer the nib. Pity about the lost blind cap but maybe one could be found.

Regards,

Eachan

It is a version of Lang's Visi Ink that uses a button filler with the short compression bar to compress the bulb, rather than unscrewing the section to compress the bulb by hand.

There is yet another version, the Auto Vac, that has a full length sac which protrudes into the end section like a bulb.

Lang's also made pens for Stephen's and various other third parties. A blind cap should be easy to obtain. I have found that some Parker blind caps also fit Lang's pens.

Edited by peterg

it would be nice if someone could identify my dads old pen,

the nib says "warranted 14ct 1st quality" and on the pen barrel, "made in England".

as you can see the barrel unscrews in half.

unfortunately the button cap is lost.

I am thinking it is something like a stephens button filler. it has a herring / barleycorn

mark on the cap and barrel

This was a Great Year,1930. That's the year I was born, A Geordie, From A small Colliery exactl half way between Sunderland and Newcastle in the UK, A very proud Geordie when I realise how manof us there are,most who are recognised everywhere they go,Catherine Cookson,Brian Robson,Sting Mark Knopfler,Robson Green,Lewis of Morse Fame,Sam Bartram,Ian Cullen Star of Catherine Cookson Movies born in the same small village as me Boldon,

Vera, Alan Shearer,Lets not forget Stephenson the most famous of all for his inventions of the

Railway Train, The Flying Scotsman, and what followed in the way of civil engineering discoveries which resulted in employment of the masses,. Trust Me,Oneill.

Edited by oneill

This was a Great Year,1930. That's the year I was born, A Geordie, From A small Colliery exactl half way between Sunderland and Newcastle in the UK, A very proud Geordie .

"exactly halfway"

Why a Geordie, and not a proud Mackem? :) (asketh someone who originates from the collery town of Seaham Harbour).

On to the original post, and as Peter said a variation on the Lang made bulb filler. Quite an unusual version, well worth getting restored and sourcing a blind cap.

• 4 weeks later...

...snip...

(asketh someone who originates from the collery town of Seaham Harbour).

No way! Me, too.

Most people I meet have never heard of it. Although I met Prince Charles once, and he had!

Enjoy.

Edited by CS388

"exactly halfway"

Why a Geordie, and not a proud Mackem? :) (asketh someone who originates from the collery town of Seaham Harbour).

On to the original post, and as Peter said a variation on the Lang made bulb filler. Quite an unusual version, well worth getting restored and sourcing a blind cap.

"exactly halfway"

On to the original post, and as Peter said a variation on the Lang made bulb filler. Quite an unusual version,

well worth getting restored and sourcing a blind cap.

Great to see you on here,I have been a Sunderland supporter since I was 3. I am now 87 and yes I have

heard of Seaham Harbour, I have a Kaweco which looks a little like that which you can have if

you want.Oneill

Edited by oneill

Great to see you on here,I have been a Sunderland supporter since I was 3. I am now 87 and yes I have

heard of Seaham Harbour.Oneill

To quote Jimmy Nail (Crocodile Shoes) when told by his psychologist girlfriend that 10,000 people on Tyneside were receiving psychological support, after stopping to think about it said... 'Oh, they must be Sunderland supporters!'

I too have heard of Seaham Harbour and the mines that went out under the North Sea.

Didn't Michael Caine get shot near by at the end of Get Carter?

...snip...

I too have heard of Seaham Harbour and the mines that went out under the North Sea.

Yes indeed - or rather he killed the other guy and got rid of the body by putting it into the sea lift which dumped it in the sea. I thought it was filmed on one of Seaham's beaches, known locally as The Blast - but Google cites it as Blackhall, a mile or two further down the coast.

Apologies to dave321 for hijacking your thread. I like your pen, but have no idea where you'd source a blind cap. I occasionally pick up old pens for repair on ebay or classifieds and have had some luck in getting odd parts to fit other pens - I think this may be your best bet?

Fingers crossed

Yes indeed - or rather he killed the other guy and got rid of the body by putting it into the sea lift which dumped it in the sea. I thought it was filmed on one of Seaham's beaches, known locally as The Blast - but Google cites it as Blackhall, a mile or two further down the coast.

Yes, but wasn't he then shot by a sniper hiding on top of the dunes? or am I thinking of George Gently?

Back to the subject, I would send the pen off to Eric Wilson 'Eckiethump' to get it refurbished, including replacing the missing cap ring and blind cap

Yes, but wasn't he then shot by a sniper hiding on top of the dunes? or am I thinking of George Gently?

Back to the subject, I would send the pen off to Eric Wilson 'Eckiethump' to get it refurbished, including replacing the missing cap ring and blind cap

Ah, yes, you could be right. Been a long time and the memory's not all it used to be.

And +1 to the Eckiethump recommendation. Never used him myself, but seen brilliant examples of his work on this forum.

Good luck.

To quote Jimmy Nail (Crocodile Shoes) when told by his psychologist girlfriend that 10,000 people on Tyneside were receiving psychological support, after stopping to think about it said... 'Oh, they must be Sunderland supporters!'

I never ever saw that movie, I used to work at the Coalface years ago but it was only a mile deep and did not quite reach the sea.Oneill

• 3 weeks later...

Peter, you are correct about the pit stretching under the sea, dad worked down there for 7 or 8 years. Of course you will not have picked up my strong, well disguised Mackem accent..... dad was from Godalming & I was educated in a fashion in Surrey ;-)

I should clarify that Sunderland sits on the River Wear, but then Jimmy Nail was never the brightest brickie in Germany.

As for the original post, I would advise Dave to keep hold of this until another donor pen surfaces on ebay. I doubt Eckiethump will be sitting with spares for this either.

Failing this, feel free to PM me for a standard version of the lower part of the pen.