Wing Sung 618 Solid Colours?

sciumbasci

I see that as a covered nib this pen has some superficial similarities to the Hero 616 (which itself is a copy of a Parker). Can anyone who's used both compare the two in feel, writing, etc?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• tvradio

• Mech-for-i

Pen come in sunday evening and I had it out today for a shoot, this is done in natural daylight open shade, had it edited for color balance to best reflect how it look in real life. It is definitely a Baby Pink indoor but more a pale Pastel Baby Pink under daylight. Very soft kid of a color. The other pen is the Moonman 80 Mustard Yellow and the actual pen's color look lighter and cleaner

Saving the image for reference. Thank you!

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Red solid Wing Sung 618 .

post-134601-0-91458400-1516041647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

I see that as a covered nib this pen has some superficial similarities to the Hero 616 (which itself is a copy of a Parker). Can anyone who's used both compare the two in feel, writing, etc?

The Hero 616 has several variants and the writing experience differs depending on the variant of the pen . Hero 616 (jumbo) stell cap and Wing Sung 618 it offers almost the same experience when writing .

Ionut - Marius

I've used a couple of Wing Sung 618s and a few Hero 616 Large (AKA Jumbo). Overall the Wing Sung 618 comes across as the higher end pen with better fit'n'finish. I'm not familiar with domestic pricing of the 618 but I think it *is* the higher end pen so that`s not surprising.

The Wing Sung 618 wins the filling system comparison with the Hero 616. A piston fill with great capacity is so much easier to deal with for filling and cleaning than the squeeze sac of the Hero. They're both light weight (a good thing IMO) plastic pens but the 616 is a feather weight giving at least the impression the 618 is a thicker more durable plastic.

Because of the filling system advantage I was hoping the 618 would "fire" the 616s from my collection but it didn't work out that way. I still have my 616s and my 618s are gone. The primary problem was the 618 nib. It was rigid and pointy feeling. There was zero fountain pen feel to it IMO. It was like writing with a 0.4 mm needle point rollerball. In contrast, the square cut nib on a Hero 616 despite the rigidity still has a certain amount of fountain pen feel to it. Also, my 618s were on the dry side out-of-the-box whereas my 616s have tended to be pleasantly wet.

Secondly was the aesthetics. I like the streamlined clean lines of the hooded Parker 51 look. The threads and barrel step of the Wing Sung 618 mess up that look. The slip cap of the Hero 616 keeps the look clean.

Thirdly, the 616 I find more comfortable to hold. It's not that the 618 is uncomfortable it's just that it loses an A-B comparison to the 616. I'm not sure why. I think it's the minor barrel step and that between the piston and the ink capacity the 618s weight is skewed to be slightly back heavy ... which is something I'm sensitive too.

Edited by rollerboy

Thanks rollerboy. If you have more info on the 616 I'd appreciate hearing it. I even started a new discussion thread asking about apparent differences between the variants, since a couple of people have now told me that there are 'good' 616s and bad ones.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• 1 month later...

Black solid Wing Sung 618 .

post-134601-0-23727000-1521102485_thumb.jpg

Ionut - Marius