The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Plan Of Esterbrook's Camden Factory In 1885

esterbrook history

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 21:26

I just put up a page on my blog listing research resources for Philadelphia, including a ton of links to online Philadelphia Directories. 

Something I thought y'all might find interesting is a diagram of the Esterbrook factory in Camden, NJ from 1885. It's from a Sanborn map used by insurance companies. 

fpn_1515100385__sanborn_map_of_1885_este

The red buildings are made of brick, and the yellow ones are wooden-framed. 

The location is currently a parking lot across Cooper St. from Camden City School District Office. It was in the middle of the block, along Cooper, between Front and Delaware, on the south side of the street. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

#2 Mister5

Mister5

Blue Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 21:35

I used to take the PATCO line which goes from NJ to Philly for a number of years and saw a painted Esterbrook sign on a building while the train whizzed through Camden. I guess it's been demolished since then to make way for that parking lot.

Inked:  Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black);  Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

#3 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 21:42

I used to take the PATCO line which goes from NJ to Philly for a number of years and saw a painted Esterbrook sign on a building while the train whizzed through Camden. I guess it's been demolished since then to make way for that parking lot.

That could have also been the last factory they had which was on Cherry St. Not sure where your route took you. 

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

#4 OneRiotOneRanger

OneRiotOneRanger

Emmie, the angel puppy, is 3 today, May 8

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:35

In 1970, for those of us who are older, Joni Mitchell first recorded Big Yellow Taxi, from which the line "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

In 2002, for those who are younger, Counting Crows redid it.

A great line, often used out of context to describe "progress."

#5 pararis

pararis

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:54

That could have also been the last factory they had which was on Cherry St. Not sure where your route took you. 

I'm not aware that Esterbrook ever was on Cherry Street in Camden. In 1964 they moved to Cherry Hill, a nearby town.

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

• 2,545 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2018 - 14:22

I'm not aware that Esterbrook ever was on Cherry Street in Camden. In 1964 they moved to Cherry Hill, a nearby town.

Of course, you're right. I was having a brain fart day that day. Don't know what I was thinking. 

-Montaigne

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, history

Sponsored Content

|