Sheaffer Snorkel Maintenance Tips

Arstook

Greetings,

I became the proud owner of a Sheaffer Statesman Snorkel today. Does anyone have any maintenance tips/things to look out for down the line? Apologies if this subject has been discussed in great detail before!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3rdlakerobert

• hankosaurus

• Ron Z

• pajaro

The only thing I would recommend with a snorkel, is to be selective about the inks that you use.

I won’t name brands so as not to fan the flames, but I have had some issues with sacs turning gooey with a couple of brands. That said, I don’t know if you know whether your snorkel is fitted with a silicon or latex sac but I believe the silicon sacs are more resilient.

I have recently resacked two desk snorkel pens. I found this harder to do than Touchdown pens, and I used silicone sacs, because I don't want to do it again. So, adyf's advice about being choosy about inks is spot on and important, unless you like restoring or paying for restorations. Red and purple inks are said to make sacs turn to goo. I avoid them in sac pens, and use those inks in C/C pens, generally refilling a cartridge. Otherwise I like the open nib Snorkels I have. I wouldn't use red or purple inks in them, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have been using the PVC sacs from Woodbin in snorkels for about 6 years now. I do not know what has changed, but I started to see a disproportionate number of premature latex sac failures in snorkels in 2012. I use a #14 sac, which is snug enough. The reason is that a dead and leaking sac leads to rusted parts, especially the spring. The aftermarket springs are not quite the right fit, so if using a PVC sac prevents leaking and therefore leaking, its a good thing.

I don't especially care for the silicone sacs. They have a gas permeability issue. You're OK if you store the pen nib up, but not everybody likes to do that, and I can't tell my clients how to store their pens. I don't store my pens nib up.

For a longer discussion, read my blog post called No Silver Bullets.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks adyf and pajaro, I will make sure to use non-controversial inks with the Snorkel. I figure I'll be using Parker and Sheaffers blue ink which don't strike me as being very saturated.

Ron Z, not sure if the sac in my pen has been replaced or not. But may I keep your service contact info on file in the event of unauthorized leaks?

• 4 months later...

Hello FPN Forum.

Recently I came into possession of a Sheaffer's Snorkel Pen Desk Set. It has a 14K nib, writes well, has enough vacuum to pull ink into the sac. But I think the sac may be leaking, as ink gets between it and the barrel somehow. Anyway, in looking for a repair kit (O-ring and sac), I see nothing specifically recommended for the Sheaffer snorkel desk set. The O-ring appears to be set differently in the barrel than is the case with the capped pens I see in the pictures on the web.

I would be very grateful for some guidance on the correct O-ring and its remove and replace procedure before I proceed. The pen is usable as it is, but I think it could be better.

Thanks and best regards,

Henry

Edited by hankosaurus

Henry

I believe the barrel on a desk pen is the same part as the barrel on a pocket pen and thus the O ring is the same size and is installed the same way.

I would think if it's drawing in ink the sac must be intact and the Snorkel tube sealed into its plug, but I suppose it's possible that the leak is so small the filling system will still function somewhat. Is there ink also inside the sac protector? If so, I'd guess there's a sac leak.

Hello Robert.

Thank you for the information about the O-ring being the same as on the regular snorkel pens. I will check again about that ink between the outside of the sac and the inside of the barrel. Now I am wondering if I might have drawn some ink into that area by putting the pen too deep into the ink bottle. Maybe only the snorkel tube should be submerged when filling the sac.

Henry

Henry

Maybe only the snorkel tube should be submerged when filling the sac.

That is indeed the case, and the primary feature of the Snorkel pen. in this way, one avoided having to wipe the nib after inking.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Now I am wondering if I might have drawn some ink into that area by putting the pen too deep into the ink bottle. Maybe only the snorkel tube should be submerged when filling the sac.

Hi Henry, just to be clear, when filling the pen you are pulling out the plunger tube before you immerse the snorkel into the ink. A snorkel fills with downward movement of the plunger tube, it's never a good idea to pull the plunger tube out when the snorkel is immersed in the ink bottle.

Apologies if you are aware of the above already.

Jumping in on the conversation here. I have several Snorkels, and the one with the EF nib is persnickety about inks -- it didn't even like vintage Skrip Peacock! But it did like modern Skrip Purple....

Go figure.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That is indeed the case, and the primary feature of the Snorkel pen. in this way, one avoided having to wipe the nib after inking.

Which is why those of us old enough to have seen the Snorkel TV commercials tended to think of that pen as a blood-sucking mosquito!

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Which is why those of us old enough to have seen the Snorkel TV commercials tended to think of that pen as a blood-sucking mosquito!

Hehe...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Sheaffer had two sizes of 0-rings for their pneumatic filler pens. The small is used in all of the thin touchdown pens, touchdown filled Imperials and snorkels. The large 0-ring was used in the PFM and fat Touchdown.

All of the snorkels use a 14 1/2 sac, though a 14 works. Thin TD pens use a $17 1/2 (though a 17 works), and the thin TD pens use a 15 1/2 (though again, the 15 works).

If you think that the sac is leaking, open the pen, empty it and dry everything very well as soon as possible! The snorkels have a carbon steel spring that rusts very quickly, and once it rusts creates an awful mess. You could end up replacing the internal parts if you don't. I've seen cases where the spring is rusted so badly that it sticks to the barrel wall. You'll spend nearly the value of the pen on replacement parts. Don't use the pen until it is restored.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Yeah, just try to get the rusty spring out of the retaining cup! I've soaked them in rust remover for a day with no success. I wonder if a few cycles in an ultrasonic cleaner with rust remover would do it?

I've gotten the rust off the spring and thought I could reuse it by applying some WD 40. Nope, it was back inside a week. Bluing didn't help either. I think they're trash once they rust.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Jon, Adyf, Ruth, Welch,Ernst, Robert, and Ron.

I really appreciate the guidance and education. I will pursue a "Full Restoration," as I like the pen and don't want to damage it. Ron, I will send you an email after the 23rd of June in this respect.

Henry

Edited by hankosaurus

Henry

Anyone have experience with the snorkel not retracting all the way and the section jamming on the pen? Last night I did I happened I just unscrewed and reset. Now I can’t unscrew.

Sometimes the spring binds. If the section isn't sealed down, unscrew it a little and see if that frees things up.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg