The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Christmas Loot From Tokyo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gerigo

gerigo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 20:53

So I was in Tokyo over the holiday week and could not resist the temptation to indulge. I was only there for 2 days, a layover transit while I was traveling in Asia. I hit the usual places, Itoya in Ginza and Maruzen in Nihonbashi.

I really dislike the new set up in Itoya. You no longer have the private quiet space that was more conducive for pen trying and browsing when it was in the G.Itoya building. There were all sorts of gawkers milling around the space, and the service people were trying their best to service everyone irrespective of whether they are buying a $5 converter or a $1000 Namiki. 

As for Maruzen, it is still really the same but it a good way. Quiet pen browsing where the service staff is really able to help you try as many pens as you like. I also went to the new Tsutaya book store in Ginza 6. Beautifully designed with fantastic merchandise, but MUCH smaller than T-site or Tsutaya Electric. I did not remember seeing any special editions. The one thing I really wanted to get were special nibbed Sailors. I have never had a problem in the past, but this time, everyone one of the stores said they were out and not available. I hope this situation is going to be rectified soon.

Saw the Moonlight VP that everyone has been mooning about but it did not grab me at all so that did not come home with me. Talking about exlusive VPs, the crimson urushi VP with gold trim was stunning. But I found it difficult to open my wallet to a $600 VP, so that did not make the cut either. Maruzen had quite a few special editions but none of them appealed to me enough to want me to bring home with me. They had a Mark D and Maruzen Sailor that used the current Arita body but instead of ceramic, it was a hand hammered bronze body. It was $1300 which was a little too rich for me. They also had the KOP cocktail pen. I found it intriguing but did not like the transparent end caps so that also did not make the cut.

I did end up with a bunch of Pilots this time. Don't ask why. The crimson Custom Urushi was absolutely lovely and I HAD to have it. It's exactly the same shade of crimson as the Yukari Royale. I also ended up with a bunch of other Pilots. Maybe you guys can guess what they are?

I chanced on the new 5 pen Somes Pilot case. At first I did not like it as the dividers does not extend all the way down to completely separate each pen. However I realize the reason they made it this way is because it allows for pens of different sizes  to be accommodated. It's a pretty flexible system as you can see in the photos, quite able to accommodate both the huge diameter Custom Urushi as well as much slimmer pens. I tried to get pens that are simply not available here in the US. I also did end up with 4 bottles of unique Sailor inks. Have not opened the bottles yet so no comment on the color or performance.

BUT my true guilty pleasure that no one talks much about are pen catalogs. These are pretty much free and easily available all around Tokyo at most of the pen shops for any customer. I derive tremendous pleasure in slowing browsing and planning my next purchases! Although the European catalogs are nice, my true guilty pleasures are the Japanese pen catalogs. These capture the standard production of big 3 and are helpful to understand their entire range.

Short exhausting visit with lots of walking but extremely fun!

Attached Images

• Pilot and Somes Small.JPG
  • Inks.JPG
  • Pen Catalogs.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:17

A great haul. Love the case.

Hopefully more pen pics to come.

#3 25_15_3

25_15_3

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:36

Nice write-up. I have a trip planned for March where I will hit a few of the pen shops in Tokyo - and maybe the Maruzen and Mitsukoshi pen shows. Right now I'm eyeing another Sailor KOP (this time in ebonite); and I want to try out the Pilot Custom Urushi and Namiki Emperor. I'll hit up Maruzen rather than Itoya which I wouldn't have thought up before reading your post.

#4 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:51

I would love to visit those shops some day!

#5 Kevan

Kevan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:57

What's the Kobe ink on the top right?  Looks like a lovely sepia.  I love that box art.

#6 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:06

Great haul, and thanks for sharing! :)

I like the pen case - looks a quality piece, and those pens look rather nice too :thumbup:

#7 gerigo

gerigo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 23:31

What's the Kobe ink on the top right?  Looks like a lovely sepia.  I love that box art.

It's the Kobe Golden Sepia in a special Itoya exclusive box. I believe its a photo of the original store front of Itoya. The box is really beautiful and I purchase the ink primarily for the lovely box.

Sponsored Content

|