The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Unusual Pelikan 100N

pelikan vintage 100n

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 20:16

I recently bought this 100N with an unusually ornate clip. The diamond-shaped end of the clip seems to point to a "Danzig" model. On the  top of the cap is written "Pelikan Günter Wagner". I've seen "Danzig" models before but never with such a clip. I hope the Pelikan experts can tell me more about this interesting pen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy New Year!

Sponsored Content

#2 dnic

dnic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 20:23

Clips often broke and got replaced by any other available. Pen was produced after 1949. So for sure not a Danzig pen.

But enjoy the pen and the nib.

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,003 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 21:11

Post war ('45? ***up to '54 in green ink window..........up to May of '43 when fountain pens were stopped being made an amber window.

Perhaps someone ran into or had an old clip that fit....and prettied up his pen.

Hell of a clip. :thumbup:

There is a rumor I read here somewhere, that the Mayor of Hanover handed over his gold badge of office...many squares of gold; so Pelikan could start making gold nibs.

Of course the Mayor's badge was replaced.............perhaps just a myth....but sounded good..

***Not sure when exactly Pelikan re-started.

Tropen (mostly made for export) sold 50,000 pens for deliver to the British Army within weeks of the end of the war,  in the Labor Government refused to allocate resources to Brittan's totally bombed out fountain pen industry....soon after even more pens to the British Army.

I believe MB was able to start soon after the war.

The Original Reform (then a first tier pen) was sent cash in advance by importers right after the war so they could buy supplies.  

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 03 January 2018 - 21:19.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#4 FPFan

FPFan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:04

That is one beautifully done pocket clip!  I'm green with envy! Too bad there aren't more like it. Thanks for sharing!

Fair winds and following seas.

#5 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:08

Clips often broke and got replaced by any other available. Pen was produced after 1949. So for sure not a Danzig pen.

But enjoy the pen and the nib.

Thanks a lot for the super fast response. I had a feeling that it's post 1949 and thus unlikely to be really made in Danzig. However, would you mind filling me in how you dated it?

Yes, it could be a replacement clip. However, it is a very unusual design and fits the cap perfectly. If it was a replacement, I'd expect it to be a plain standard clip of either another Pelikan or something that's very common. There were also Pelikan productions in Portugal and Italy (I think in Milano) and probably other countries. I read that they often used slightly different designs for clips and cap bands. Could it be one of those?

Post war ('45? ***up to '54 in green ink window..........up to May of '43 when fountain pens were stopped being made an amber window.

Perhaps someone ran into or had an old clip that fit....and prettied up his pen.

Hell of a clip. :thumbup:

There is a rumor I read here somewhere, that the Mayor of Hanover handed over his gold badge of office...many squares of gold; so Pelikan could start making gold nibs.

Of course the Mayor's badge was replaced.............perhaps just a myth....but sounded good..

***Not sure when exactly Pelikan re-started.

Tropen (mostly made for export) sold 50,000 pens for deliver to the British Army within weeks of the end of the war,  in the Labor Government refused to allocate resources to Brittan's totally bombed out fountain pen industry....soon after even more pens to the British Army.

I believe MB was able to start soon after the war.

The Original Reform (then a first tier pen) was sent cash in advance by importers right after the war so they could buy supplies.  

Thanks, and you are right, it's a hell of a clip.:) I think the Montblanc factory in Hamburg was bombed out as one of the few fountain pen productions sites. I'm not sure about Pelikan, but Kaweco restarted their production immediately and was humming as early as 1946.

#6 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 22:14

That is one beautifully done pocket clip!  I'm green with envy! Too bad there aren't more like it. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. And I'm sorry you feel envious. Don't worry too much, there are sooo many beautiful pens out there to be discovered.

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,003 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 00:58

Right now though we need a clip maker..... ;)  I'll take a clone. :P 

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#8 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:14

Ha, we probably could get your Heidelberg museum friend involved to run a production.:) Unfortunately, my cheap Chinese milling machine is quite lousy and not suitable to make the stencils. 

#9 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:52

Beautifully done.  Love the uniqueness of it.  Danzig models were produced late in the 1930s.  In addition to the diamond tipped clip, they are identified by a single cap band (rather than fluted or the standard 2 cap bands).  You can date it by the section  It's lacking a step which dates the pen from 1949 onwards, way too late to be part of the Gdansk production.  Still a great looking pen.  Enjoy it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#10 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 23:51

Thank you very much for the explanation. Yes, it must be clearly after 1949 and can't be a Gdansk model. Have there been any other known variations on the clip that could fit? It could be a replacement taken either from an earlier or a later model. What about Italian or Portuguese productions?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, vintage, 100n

Sponsored Content

|