Aurora 88 Flex Nib

Gracie

Well, I'm on the notification list with FPR, as I'd like to see more of the Daedalus 2.0, which might convince me to swap out from using my Zebra G dip pen.

There's an interesting comparison (which may or may not have been mentioned on FPN before) of the Dilli/Guru Flex and the Konrad/Creaper -

https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2014/03/ask-the-desk-dilli-flex-vs-noodlers-creaper/

However, after years of inky fingers I'm at the point where I'm ready to invest in one really good flex pen, and that seems to be coming down to the Falcon, the FA, and the Omas Extra Flessible, which seems to be as rare as hen's teeth.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gracie

• Inky.Fingers

• strelnikoff

• teeitup418holes

Just for the record: my favorite flex pen (for drawing) is a Luxor that I got from Rick Propas. It has the most responsive nib, such a joy to draw with. You might cruise his website or email him and ask about off-brand pens with great nibs – that's how I found this one.

There used to be a guy in Santa Cruz, Rick Redus, who sold wonderful flex pens for very reasonable prices in occasional sales on FPN. But I haven't seen his postings for a long time.

post-135048-0-60099100-1517951170_thumb.jpg

FPR Himalayan / Creaper & Bungubox Clown Tears

I'm ready to invest in one really good flex pen, and that seems to be coming down to the Falcon, the FA, and the Omas Extra Flessible,

Had them both...They suck also.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 cents worth: Theres no doubt that for serious flex look to vintage esp. Conklin, Waterman's, Omas...In fact many Italian makers continued producing beautiful pens with flexible nibs until relatively recently (you might check out Omas Lucens/Extra Lucens) I even have a couple of pretty flexible Omas pens from the 1980s (and various flexible steel nibs from 40s and 50s)

I have the 3 you mention: Pilot FA, Falcon, and Omas Extra F. and prefer the FA. I understand you may want a modern pen because they are less fussy, and agree with others that your best bet is to buy a modern flex pen (such as those) from a dealer who can add more flex (that is what Leigh R. does!) The Pilot pens are not that expensive.

Don't forget to also consider what nib width, pen size, weight, etc. best suits your hand and what you want to do with the pen. Pen shows are the best way to try many options. good luck!

Before diving into the abyss, for some it is the rabbit hole, try to attend a pen meeting up in your area or try to attend a pen show. You might be surprise what you will find and try. Mostly to try before you buy. Heck, if you can take a vacation from the deep snow that you are in and catch a wave in San Diego pen show...and try your hand on some vintagr or modern pen. Don`t hope that the pen in the mail is gonna make you happy.

What will is better penmanship with any pen. If your skill level is on par ... Think Dr J Vitolo he uses a biro and looks great. Why cant we learn from him. Take your skill to the next level without spending another dime.

Many thanks to everyone on here - it has been a very enlightening conversation. I have taken Nail-benders advice and purchased a Desiderata Icarus from another FPN-ite, and I just did this trial run to add to this stream. It's not great, but I hope it is useful and that others might add their own samples to it. Let's see if this works -

post-140759-0-08614000-1518833385_thumb.jpg

Hi InkyFingers - I would LOVE to go to a pen show, but inner ear damage makes it unsafe for me to fly, so I have to be able to drive or take a train/boat to get to a pen show, all of which requires a great deal of luck with coordination. I don't know Dr. J. Vitolo and I have no idea what a "biro" is, so my education continues here. Any clues?

Okay okay.

First your penmanship is outrageously wonderful. Thank you for the eye candies.

Second you have some of the best pens already.

Third a biro is equivalent to a bic or ball pen. Biro invented the ball point pen. Bic made it like Microscoft without all the blue screen of death.

Finally, if you really want a flex pen and you are throughoutly comfortable with a dip pen with a flex nib (like an Esterbrook 128, Gillot 303, 404, Hunt 101 etc..). It seems like you are..

The closest that you can get to a dip pen experience is a vintage pen that had a dip pen nib on it.

Second is a dip pen nib on a modern pen with a modified feed.

There is no modern pen with modification can match that. There are so few vintage pen that is a true noodler. I have stopped dreaming and succrumed to the power of the dip pen.

Looks like you write pretty small..mind if you try a smaller dip nib...say a Gillott 303?

Inky Fingers! I think your fingers got inky practicing for a long time! Your writing is beautiful, and you've mastered many capital letters that I haven't even tried yet. I will try a Gillott 303 and also try your wonderful E, G, P, B and F.

I don't understand how you couldn't get any flex out of your Pilot Justus. Maybe you should send it in to John for adjustment. Mine flexes even at the extreme "H" setting, and is a wet noodle at the extreme "S" setting.

Your numbers are beautiful too. Something else I haven't tried yet. Where did you get an Esterbrook Probate 313 nib? I've never even heard of a Gilbert & Blanzy Poure Henry 620! Where on earth did you find that? And a Montblanc 149 E.S. Johnson #6? Do you make these franken pens yourself? :rolleyes:

Thank you for humouring me Gracie with your compliments but I am way way behind practice for any Spencerian. I am most fond of Chancery scripts at the moments.

Most of my FP are Franken by myself..no particular skills needed. The dip nibs are mostly from the flea bay. You can find alot of the nibs on flea bay, and sometimes on the flea markets.

pendamonium.com and kallipos.de are the other venue i've seen

Well good luck and happy chinese new year!

Edited by _InkyFingers

And nice work yourself, Nail-Bender! I'd like to try the Brause Rose. Would it go into my Icarus holder?

What pens/nibs are you using for your Chancery scripts, Inky Fingers? I'm just playing about with some broad dip pens but I'm not getting far. I don't relate well to the filling systems on the nibs, so I'm trying to find a good fountain pen nib for Chancery and Uncial, but so far I haven't found anything "sharp" enough around the edges. Any suggestions there? I think the combination of those with Spencerian script is nice. (And a happy Chinese/Tibetan New Year to you too!)

38522085060_5cbfecbf7c_c.jpg

Written with a dip pen. FP can do it too..a high quality one is made by Manuscript. If you want to splurge, then a nibmeister is your best bet.

I would do it for you free of charge, but the postage is prohibitive from where you are, eh?

OH my, that chancery is beautiful! Is all of that variation done with the slant of the nib, or is there some flex in that dip nib? What dip nib did you use? I have been picking up old dip nibs in some of the thrift stores here, and even got an interesting old holder. My technique so far consists largely of blobs. :(

I haven't invested in Manuscripts because they don't have any decent converter, and the cost of all those tiny little cartridges gets ridiculous, and I like to use my collection of inks. Is there a nib for the Chancery that would go into my new Icarus holder?

Yes, postage is expensive from Canada, plus the cost of duty and taxes if the customs people appraise the item as being over $25 "in their eyes", which probably have never seen anything like that before. But thank you for the offer, and I may take you up on it yet if I can't master this myself.

Edited by Gracie

That would take me two days to do, and wouldn't look nearly as good. I think the Chancery Cursive "a" has to be the most difficult thing in the world to do. What is the pen in the photo? Do you really put dip nibs into something like a Pelikan 800 or a Montblanc 149? I would be terrified.

I just looked online for those nibs, and also Nail-Bender's Brause Rose, but no luck, except possibly on eBay, which I try to avoid. I did find a half box of Esterbrook 442 nibs at the thrift store.

Are the potato/toothpaste/saliva options instead of putting the nib through a flame? I must say it is an interesting process.

That pen is my EDC Montblanc Writers Edition Schiller with a BBI nib.

The Jackon Stub (442) of Esterbrook is a fabulous nib. It is a favorite of most people who do normal writing, either cursive or prints. It is not a calligraphy pen. If you smooth out the rounded nib a bit, it makes a great M or FM italic nib.

I am no pyromaniac so flames doesn't come easy. I like the potatoe, there are chemistry at work when you stick the dip pen nib into the potatoes. I prefer the multi-step process: clean it with a toothpaste (abrasive) using a Q-tip, flush and clean, then soak it in your saliva, leave to dry. It worked wonders for me, it gave the spark that I can do calligraphic writing with a dip pen.

As in learning any script, don't buy another pen, until you have mastered the basics with a pencil. Pencils for Spencerian, Pencils for italics, pencils for everything especially Uncial.

Below is a sample of a Montblanc No 72 with a BI nib.

40373781701_066b5990f6_z.jpg

Edited by _InkyFingers

Well, Inky Fingers, an EDC Montblanc Writers Edition Schiller isn't too over the top :lticaptd: Probably only the most beautiful pen ever made, and undoubtedly a magical dream more fun to purchase, if one can afford such a gorgeous item. Is it really made of amber? But putting that aside, I really did need to hear someone taking me to task about taking the easy way out (buying another pen to "solve the problem") rather than getting to work with what I already have. Today, once I get the house warmed up, I'll get to work on your wonderful example on the almond shape that you make look so shamelessly easy, and I'll start with pencils. I'll also try to find a Gillott 303.

But I have another question - how do you suggest "rounding out" one of my Jackson stub nibs to make it into an FM italic?

That work with the Montblanc 72 with the BI nib is beautiful. My only Montblanc is a 1955 3-44 with a nice springy nib that I only bought recently and am just starting to get a feel for. It is very comfortable and nice to use, but I haven't experimented with different scripts yet.

And getting back to Wildblueroan in this stream, another question - I've never found an Omas Lucens/Extra Lucens) that I could afford sadly, but I'm curious about the "various flexible steel nibs from 40s and 50s". More details?

Edited by Gracie

You are not the only cat in the mill. I was trapped in the barn for many days, I have accumulated over 300+ FPs and my writing have not improved. It wasn't until I have dropped everything

and used a pencil and a biro first to correct my letter forms.

http://www.zillerofkc.com/store/E-books.

If you have any questions about it... answer it yourself by adopting the way of the Jedi. Follow the book cover to cover, it is most informative. In fact, I wouldn't mind participating with you working from cover to cover. If you wanted a starter set of pens and nibs, look no further, you got 'em already. If not for a $3 pen from China flea bay, on the flea market or thrift store for an oblique. You are set baby!

No need to worry about any steel pen and flex....and what not. I've done (but not to mastery) and seen many examples done with a pencil with great mastery in all the different script.

Join me and others on Instagram or Periscope. ... the community will support your artistic needs.