The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Do You Own Converters For Most Of Your Pens Or Swap Them Between?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 17:48

<p>
Not just any spring but a compression spring.  I use the small gold ones used on keyboards.

The advantages:

• a spring will not block ink flow
  • a spring can be inserted without disassembling a pen
  • a spring works to keep bubbles from forming in the first place

Hi Jar,

Okay. Thank you, very much. :)

- Anthony
With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

Sponsored Content

#22 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 17:58

I'm in the majority here, one converter per pen plus a spare or two.    I tend not to remove the converter as I try to limit the wear and tear on the converter.   Granted, they aren't expensive, but, why wear something out due to overzealous maintenance vs. normal use?

french

#23 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Grandpa T's desk - SUPER P.INKS

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 18:19

I have converters for most. I have more Parker 45's than I have converters for them though. I have been meaning to pick up a few to remedy that.

Some people like to have extra converters. I don't see the need. The pen I have had the longest, a Lamy Al Star still has its original converter and I have had it in near continuous use since 1998. It isn't always inked anymore, but until December 2012 it was one of only two pens and was almost always inked. It is as good today as it was then.

Edited by Runnin_Ute, 03 January 2018 - 18:19.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#24 Kelly G

Kelly G

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,412 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 18:25

1 to 1.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

#25 SpecTP

SpecTP

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 21:19

Hi SpecTP,

A spring, not a BB/ball-bearing? :unsure:

Please elucidate... you've piqued my curiosity.

- Anthony

We have had this discussion in detail in other threads http://www.fountainp...ng#entry3785825

I use compression springs (from mechanical keyboard that I build) https://mechanicalke...t_detail&p=1350

mech keyboard users tend to put a lot of wear so the common springs used are stainless steel or gold plated and are resistant to corrosion. I've been doing this for over a year without issue or signs of corrosion.

they work incredibly well.

Edited by SpecTP, 04 January 2018 - 21:23.

#26 james3paris

james3paris

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:59

1 to 1  Quite a few of them came with the pen. 

#27 Inksomnia

Inksomnia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:47

I don't have converters for every c/c pen I own. Most me pens are pistonfillers, so I rarely need converter. I have three Lamys, only two converters. One lamy uses cartridges always, because it uses special edition ink, that was only avaible in cartridges here. I have one Platinum converter, but two pens that use it. Currently both uses cartridges, but I have to get another converter soon. And Pilot vanishing point has it own converter. I try not to have spare ones or extra just in case. Same goes with cartridges, I hate using those.

#28 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 8,977 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:04

Beside collecting pens I also collect converters especially the vintage ones. And, hence, I have hundreds of converters in my spare boxes.
Khan

#29 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 15:46

If a pen doesn't come with a converter I acquire one right away. So I have a converter for every pen that uses one and it stays in that pen so I can load it up right away when I want to use it. I fill through the nib to minimize removing converters to decrease wear.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#30 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,703 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 18:13

When I first started, yes, one per pen. But after a while I found converters to be a PITA so I switched to just (re)filling cartridges with a syringe.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#31 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 20:08

When I first started, yes, one per pen. But after a while I found converters to be a PITA so I switched to just (re)filling cartridges with a syringe.

Funnily enough, I STOPPED using cartridges for the same reason -- I found that flushing and refilling them was more of a PITA....

I try to have converters for every pen I have that needs them.  A couple of times I've had to replace them -- the converter for my Jinhao 599 leaked, but I ended up using the replacement one for a pen I was giving away to someone.  So now I'll have to get a replacement.  

Most of my c/c pens take proprietary cartridges, so I have to be careful what converters I get.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#32 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 20:12

fpn_1515183106__img_3527.jpg

fpn_1515183121__img_3528.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

#33 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 20:41

Fountain pen converters are cheap................

Fred

Stay warm and safe.......................

#34 austinwft

austinwft

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 22:10

Fountain pen converters are cheap................

Fred

Stay warm and safe.......................

Two is One and One is None...

Knowing that I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it I will regularly add a converter to an order for ink and/or paper which won't add any additional shipping cost and in some cases bump the order total to the free shipping level.

#35 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 11:20

It's interesting to see most people do own converters for every pen. I will often switch between cartridges and bottled ink. I never in the past thought to add one onto each pen order which would have been sensible.

#36 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 January 2018 - 17:35

It's interesting to see most people do own converters for every pen. I will often switch between cartridges and bottled ink. I never in the past thought to add one onto each pen order which would have been sensible.

Indeed it is sensible.  I have a lot of Parker Vectors, and often use them for testing new-to-me inks.  Having each one with its own converter just makes sense -- especially when often I have several of them inked up at once.  

Compared to the price of pens, converters are cheap....  Even in the case of the Vectors, where the cost of the (better) twist converters could, in some cases add 50-100% to the overall price of the pen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#37 Ted A

Ted A

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,293 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:21

I frequently just refill cartridges for pens without converters. And it it’s a Pilot, I use the cartridges so I don’t have to refill every day.
To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

#38 Connly33

Connly33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:28

I have a converter for every pen. 

Though the 4 or 5 pens that i have bought have come with one. Other than my piston fillers of course. 

Though honestly for my Pilot pens i usually refill cartridges for a slightly larger ink capacity. 

#39 Connly33

Connly33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:33

We have had this discussion in detail in other threads http://www.fountainp...ng#entry3785825

I use compression springs (from mechanical keyboard that I build) https://mechanicalke...t_detail&p=1350

mech keyboard users tend to put a lot of wear so the common springs used are stainless steel or gold plated and are resistant to corrosion. I've been doing this for over a year without issue or signs of corrosion.

they work incredibly well.

As someone that builds mech keyboards and has a few hundred gold plated springs to mod Cherry mx switches around, im going to have to give this a try for my standard international converters. 

#40 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:38

I generally have a converter for each pen. My mechanical keyboard just died due to cord failure, so I'm thinking I may need to dissect it for donor springs.

Yet another Sarah.

Sponsored Content

|