Do You Own Converters For Most Of Your Pens Or Swap Them Between?

The Blue Knight

I've got quite a lot of pens that didn't come with converters and always have the headache of finding a converter when I want to ink up a pen. I was curious whether most people had converters for each pen or end up swapping them between each time. I have been thinking about getting a dozen converters to solve this problem but the prospect of spending a decent pens worth of money on a dozen high-quality converters puts me off.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• jar

• The Blue Knight

• Connly33

I would say that I'm happy with enough converters for the pens that I intend to keep inked, and possibly few extra for testing new pens (although right now I mainly use cartridges for new pens for ease and consistency). I suppose if I had any pens that I might want to ink up infrequently for a specific purpose (like something with a special nib) I would get a dedicated converter for it and leave it in even when dry and not in use.

swapping the convertors all the time will result in more wear and tear ... they will start leaking. So in the end you will buy more convertors to replace your current convertors.

In the end it will be 0 sum game I guess. And there are plenty of bulk deals out there:

https://www.amazon.com/International-Standard-Fountain-Converter-Fuliwen/dp/B074H2NY4N/ref=sr_1_98_sspa?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1514979694&sr=1-98-spons&keywords=international+converter+ink&psc=1

Almost 1:1. Most of the c/c pens I've acquired have come with their own, so remain with dedicated converters. A few notable exceptions such as Sailor & Sheaffer have shipped without, so I've swiped from a compatible pen in storage, but I don't make a habit of frequent swapping between.

One per pen and a spare or so, by type.

Hi Blue Knight, et al,

Dittohead this... along with MsRedPen, Chrissy, etc.

I have at least two converters for each pen.

I could probably get a Mont Blanc or a dozen L2K's for what I've spent on converters... :o ...and then I wouldn't need any. :headsmack:

- Anthony

Perhaps I should switch to one per pen. I am now switching Parker converters between several Parkers... (3 or 4 pens, 1 converter)

Edited by GJMekenkamp

One converter per pen for me as well, with one exception - I normally keep two converters per pen for the particular pens I use Sailor Sei-Boku ink in.

(It's my most-used ink, I have ~ 3 work pens fed a constant diet of this. Very well behaved except for its annoying tendency to leave a stubborn light blue stain in converters that is very hard to remove. Only a cosmetic problem, but my OCD-ish mind will not allow me to fill a Sei Boku-ed converter with other ink. )

Most of the pens I purchase come with converters. Particularly important for proprietary converters/cartridges. I use cartridges, too so I usually have some extras in storage if one starts leaking, tec. Internationals are the best as they are usually interchangeable.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

I don't have converters for some vintage pens that I have accumulated as design examples of a period, even if they can take a converter.

I do have converters for each pen, vintage/non-vintage, that I use often. In most cases, I prefer the converter to a cartridge. I am not in love with the short intl cartridges, regardless of the ink color selection available.

I would never consider swapping converters between pens. The cost/value ratio doesn't work for me.

always at least one spare per pen. and I've modified most of them to add a spring inside to help with ink flow.

Edited by SpecTP

always at least one spare per pen. and I've modified most of them to add a spring inside to help with ink flow.

Hi SpecTP,

A spring, not a BB/ball-bearing? :unsure:

Please elucidate... you've piqued my curiosity.

- Anthony

One converter for each, and I've learned to stock up on them since they aren't readily available locally at less than insane prices. Some of them can even be disassembled and given maintenance with silicone grease, which I would also recommend stocking up on. 20 pens, 19 converters (one piston pen). Some pens are really not worth the hassle since their converters are so terrible (Kaweco), for those of us who won't do cartridges or syringes, others are discontinued and hard to find (Waterman), and of course they are not compatible between them for many brands.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hi SpecTP,

A spring, not a BB/ball-bearing? :unsure:

Please elucidate... you've piqued my curiosity.

- Anthony

Not just any spring but a compression spring. I use the small gold ones used on keyboards.

The advantages:

• a spring will not block ink flow
  • a spring can be inserted without disassembling a pen
  • a spring works to keep bubbles from forming in the first place

My Website

Usually a converter for each pen I actually use. I own several c/c pens I substantially never use, and if they go into use I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Even if I prefer refilled cartridges, as I often do, I want to have the converter as a way to clean the pen. I also have a rubber ear bulb, but for ordinary situations that's more violent cleaning than I want to do. So far as I'm concerned, a pen I've just written with doesn't need much cleaning.