Any Opinions On P F M Iii Autograph?

Bill Nick

I've seen a cosmetically well-worn PFM III Autograph for sale that I think would clean up well with a bit of TLC but it's priced a bit higher than similar, or even better, condition IIIs. I think that the only difference between the two models is the s/s cap with gold-filled clip and band, is this correct?

Was the Autograph a particularly sought-after model produced in relatively small numbers and what are members opinions of it's value/collectability compared to the normal III? Is it worth paying over the odds?

post-138527-0-69686200-1514974691_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Nick

• ThomasB

• adyf

• penmanila

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The pen in the photo looks like a PFM IV to me.

As for desirability/value etc, they are a bit harder to find than the IIIs.

Edited by adyf

yup, that's a PFM IV, and much sought after. there's one being sold on ebay right now for $325, although one sold from mexico for just over $200 some time ago. i've been after one for a long time myself but just couldn't find a mint one i could afford, so i settled for the modern version, the legacy heritage, which can be had in the $250 range:

26877591979_6f1f0b9379_b.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

The pen you have pictured is a PFM IV...The PFM III Autograph is identical to the regular III except for two aspects: The Autograph has a gold finial on the blind cap and the cap band is solid 14K Gold and hallmarked as such...If all you are looking for is a PFM III to use, I would recommend stick to the regular model...On the other hand if you are a collector/completist, the III Autograph would fill an esteemed spot in your collection , but they can be quite pricey drawing a premium over the regular III

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

The pen you have pictured is a PFM IV...The PFM III Autograph is identical to the regular III except for two aspects: The Autograph has a gold finial on the blind cap and the cap band is solid 14K Gold and hallmarked as such...If all you are looking for is a PFM III to use, I would recommend stick to the regular model...On the other hand if you are a collector/completist, the III Autograph would fill an esteemed spot in your collection , but they can be quite pricey drawing a premium over the regular III

Although it can't easily be seen in the photo, the one I showed does have the gold finial to the barrel. Didn't the IV have a stainless steel cap with only a g-f clip? This one has a gold cap band as well, maybe this is a IV Autograph?

As an edit, was the Autograph's cap band solid gold?

Edited by BillNick

Although it can't easily be seen in the photo, the one I showed does have the gold finial to the barrel. Didn't the IV have a stainless steel cap with only a g-f clip? This one has a gold cap band as well, maybe this is a IV Autograph?

As an edit, was the Autograph's cap band solid gold?

The PFM IV has the stainless cap with a gold filled clip and band and the gold finial...Here is a good source of reference info http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/00_refp.htm

Also pictures of my Autograph

bOV23Pi.jpg

HiLuG24.jpg

Edited by tbickiii

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

The PFM IV has the stainless cap with a gold filled clip and band and the gold finial...Here is a good source of reference info http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/00_refp.htm

Also pictures of my Autograph

bOV23Pi.jpg

HiLuG24.jpg

Thanks, decided against whatever it was! Got a fully restored black V on its way instead, and at about $95 less.

Edited by BillNick