Still Any Love For The Discontinued 1912?

wpj_ole

I have both the 146 and the 1912. I'm a minimalist and love the plainness of both these pens for everyday use. They both write really well and while they are pleasing in their simplicity, balance, and dimensions, I don't have to think about how pretty or exciting they are. (I have other pens for that purpose.)

That said I still find the 1912 much too heavy for writing anything substantial and use mine very rarely. The 146 is lighter and gets more use. I will probably sell my 1912 as it's a pen meant for use not display and I feel a bit wasteful just having it sit there.

Edited by LuckyKate

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• dubhe

• Tom Kellie

• 16m3mx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may have said this before in another thread years ago, but here goes again:

The Heritage 1912 is my favorite Montblanc of all time. And I have had many :)

The black silhouette with no trims or rings on the barrel, the softness of the nib that glides on paper like nothing else I have experienced, the safety mechanism.. It is perfect, for me. If only it didnt have the plastic white top and went with a regular star.

Note 1: I also dont recommend an oblique nib on it.

Note 2: I found many polishes work well to remove the scuff ring marks on the barrel. The problem is that they come back, unless the rubber lining of the cap is addressed.

What I did is wrap my index finger with a leather cloth and rub in a twisting motion my finger inside the cap to buff or smoothen the rubber a bit. Et voilà.

I also dont recommend an oblique nib on it.

Thank you, this is interesting and I might do some more research on this. Incidentally which nib do you have on your 1912? I’m wondering if you have something different to your often selected BB.

I am interested in learning more about this question of oblique nibs on the Heritage 1912. Has anyone tried going down that road and been disappointed?

Edited by meiers

Dubhe & meiers,

I got my 1912 prior to being introduced to speciality nibs, so mine is a M.

But I have a couple of Heritage 1906 in BB and if theyre an inductor of any sort I would say M is best.

The BB write wonderfully, but the nib is so forgiving and thin it moves a lot and spreads easier than Meisterstuck nibs and do also loses the sweet spot quicker.

While I see how a fine oblique flex can work, a broad oblique with some flex may be hard to wield unless concentrating a lot.

I always recommend the 1912 when people ask 'what pen should i buy' as long as its in their budget.

Mine is always filled, i swapped the factory M for a B nib.

I do favour Legrand/146 size, which is evident when viewing my collection :)

Received today, lightly used from the bay. Had hoped it would be new so I could get a nib exchange, but the price makes up for it. Ive had the RB for a while.

post-73579-0-40438400-1515768299_thumb.jpeg

I am interested in learning more about this question of oblique nibs on the Heritage 1912. Has anyone tried going down that road and been disappointed?

During christmas i got me a 1912 from grey market. It was at an amazing price, so i couldnt pass it up.

It came with a fine nib... So i had it sent to Montblanc for a nib exchange (out of pocket, of course). It should return to me with an OB nib... I'll let you know.

I cant say its my favorite pen, but its a GREAT pen. One that should get my main pen status (the one i'll carry with me at all times)

I'll let you know upon receipt.

Does anyone have the 1912 with an OM or OB nib? I viewed one today at MB and the salesman said he wouldnt recommend an oblique nib on this pen due to its softness. He didnt think it would write so well.

I am planning on buying a new one to get the swap to OM, but if consensus is not to, Ill probably wait for a used F or M to turn up instead.

I have an OB one. I like it just fine. Not sure why the softness would matter as the oblique cut really only matters for how you hold the pen in your hand, not how much pressure you apply or anything like that...

tdW5gNK.png

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

During christmas i got me a 1912 from grey market. It was at an amazing price, so i couldnt pass it up.

It came with a fine nib... So i had it sent to Montblanc for a nib exchange (out of pocket, of course). It should return to me with an OB nib... I'll let you know.

I cant say its my favorite pen, but its a GREAT pen. One that should get my main pen status (the one i'll carry with me at all times)

I'll let you know upon receipt.

How much is the nib exchange? Mine is unused and Im wondering if I can just send it in and try my luck for an exchange even though its 3 years old.

I purchased my 1912 with a fine nib prior to discovering the joys of the broad side. This past year I sent it in for a swap to an OBB, and I have to say, I regret it. I love broad nibs, but the 1912 is a wet writer to begin with in my opinion. Now it lays down an even broader line than my 149 O3B. I think it's too soft of a nib to have that broad. If I had to do it again, I would have left it be. As it is, I'm considering sending it to a nibmeister to be ground back down.

I purchased my 1912 with a fine nib prior to discovering the joys of the broad side. This past year I sent it in for a swap to an OBB, and I have to say, I regret it. I love broad nibs, but the 1912 is a wet writer to begin with in my opinion. Now it lays down an even broader line than my 149 O3B. I think it's too soft of a nib to have that broad. If I had to do it again, I would have left it be. As it is, I'm considering sending it to a nibmeister to be ground back down.

I have considered sending my Heritage 1912 in for a nib exchange and held off because its (fine) nib is perfect, magnificent...

It will have to go in for service nonetheless because ink is leaking out of the piston knob and it is no longer filling properly. :(

Edited by meiers

~ Dcharles:

What sort of nib are you considering?

Another F nib?

Perhaps something else, e.g. an architect's point?

Tom K.

Browsing the internet reading up on my newly acquired 1912 I find one on a website with 34% off retail price! So now, subject to this arriving ok, I will have two 1912 FPs... My reasoning is I can send the new one off for a nib exchange, and flip the other one which came from eBay and hopefully get my money back.

Ill share where I found the discounted pen once my order is confirmed tomorrow etc.

Now, which nib to go for...

The BB write wonderfully, but the nib is so forgiving and thin it moves a lot and spreads easier than Meisterstuck nibs and do also loses the sweet spot quicker.

Definition of flex?

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

Definition of flex?

No. Flex nibs continue to lay down ink while splaying (flexing) the 1906 doesnt. It is designed to be soft but not flex.