Still Any Love For The Discontinued 1912?

wpj_ole

Hi,

Ive recently been trying to do some research with MB heritage 1912, particularly in comparison to the Meisterstuck models.

Ill have to admit that having own 2 WE models, 145, and 149. While can completely feel they are great pen, I still cannot find my go-to pen. 145 too small (selling soon) and 149 is a great writer but feels too special (so sold too)... WE pens while very attractive and inspiring can easily distract my writing process (keep thinking instead about the characteristics of its author, booksor could it be that the size doesnt fit my hand?). So, despite knowing its size is similar to WE, I decided to order 146 which is going to arrive tomorrow, just because it seems to be the one which most people are comfortable with. I never tried writing for a long period of time in it, and honestly it doesnt attract me that much (sorry!). Im just desperate to find a pen that I would carry around everywhere and use for everything like ones I used to have (ex. lamy2000 which was my first go-to.) ...

Part of me hopes the search might end in this 146, while the other part of me wants to explore how it feels to be using 1912 instead (I can return this new 146)... and I cannot have both, at least not in the near future. I found out that the 1912 has its peak period for a while before discountinued. how is that now? Anyone who owns both 1912 and 146, could you help give me some comparisons, and which is your preferred pen? If you can only grab one to write? Id love to use it with everything from academic to fiction. While pen like lamy2000 works great for me and I might even consider getting one again, the charm of MB feels almost like an additional reward for my writing work.

Thank you!

Edited by wpj_ole

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• dubhe

• Tom Kellie

• 16m3mx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard choice. I recently picked up a 1912 having previously dismissed it as a Boheme sized pen - it's not. I will try to outline my own experience with both.

The 146 is a nice size, well balanced, posts securely and writes very well. It holds a decent amount of ink. It's a pen with classic appearance, pretty nib and second hand ones that are in very good condition can be got for a very reasonable sum. If you really liked the 149 but found it too big, then the 146 would be a natural choice for replacement. There are a few different finishes that can give you a few extra buying options.

The 1912 is a nice bit of engineering. The homage to the old safety pen is well done in my opinion and I find it's appearance very appealing. The retractable nib has a very smooth action and I like the styling of the pen, including the domed carved snow peak (some people didn't like this aspect). It doesn't post (and you shouldn't try, it will crack the cap), but the pen body is just long enough and thick enough to be comfortable. It's a much weightier pen that will write under it's own weight. If you are more inclined to putting a bit of pressure on the nib this may not be the pen for you because the nib is also soft and bouncy. It's not a flex nib and you won't get any great line variation out of it, but it does have bounce. In that respect it is quite different from a lot of other MB nibs in their current line up and it's smooth and very, very wet. It doesn't hold a great deal of ink according to some, but my own experience with a fine nib is that it seems to be about the same as a converter. Before you consider it, I would strongly advise seeing it in the flesh. As I say, I dismissed it as 'too small' a pen that didn't post, but despite it's deceptively diminutive looks when capped, it's actually a good bit longer and larger than expected. I find it well balanced and a great writer but some may find the extra weight very off-putting.

As an aside, I thought I would love the 1914 but I saw that in the same shop. It is huuuuuge and has enough weight to beat someone to death with it. Not that it would ever be in my affordability, but on seeing it I was surprisingly thankful afterwards that I disliked it!

I hope you like the Meisterstück 146 when it arrives, but if you used to have a Lamy 2000 that you would carry everywhere and use for everything, why not get another Lamy 2000? Maybe with a different nib tip width. :)

There's no point in trying to like a particular pen just because most people are comfortable with it. :unsure:

The 1912 is still available at my local MB boutiques. After using it together with my 161 Le Grand ballpoint for quite some time, they're the best pens I've ever used so far.

Speaking of that, I've not used my Lamy 2000 set for quite a while already.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I hope you like the Meisterstück 146 when it arrives, but if you used to have a Lamy 2000 that you would carry everywhere and use for everything, why not get another Lamy 2000? Maybe with a different nib tip width. :)

There's no point in trying to like a particular pen just because most people are comfortable with it. :unsure:

I really hope you enjoy using your MB 146, but I also agree with Chrissy to a certain extent - why try to fix something that isn't broken? Now, if you want to try a MB 1912 or 146 for the sake of experimentation, go for it - both are great pens, IMHO. But if a Lamy 2K is your go-to pen, use that and enjoy it!

I have both a 146 and a 1912. It's been a long time since I write for long periods of time and could not tell with certainty which will be more comfortable but I will tell you this: The 146 has been in it's box for at least half a year now, while the 1912 was my sole inked, go to pen up until last week when I recieved a Beatles SE as a Christmas gift and decided to "drive" it for while.

The 146 is a wonderful pen and was one of my first MB aquisitions, it is light and balanced, stocks a good ink tank and it will always look elegant. The downside is that "It's just another MB". The 1912 is heavier and holds less ink, so if you have your ink bottle at hand when writing for long periods of time, this should not be a problem. The nib is the best on the current lineup of MB, springy and smooth. If you like me, carries the pen in the shirt pocket, this pen will fit even the smallest shirt pockets, while uncapped it will be almost the size of a 149. This exactly why I use it the most.

IMO, I would go for a 1912 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Just meke sure you find the weight comfortable.

Cheers,

Hector

The Heritage 1912 is discontinued? I didn't see that, and they seem to be everywhere.

I can agree with those that recommend it. It not right for everyone, but the nib, the mechanism, and the solid feel of the whole package is great for me. I cannot find a Montblanc I like more despite quite a search.

I have both a 146 and a 1912. It's been a long time since I write for long periods of time and could not tell with certainty which will be more comfortable but I will tell you this: The 146 has been in it's box for at least half a year now, while the 1912 was my sole inked, go to pen up until last week when I recieved a Beatles SE as a Christmas gift and decided to "drive" it for while.

The 146 is a wonderful pen and was one of my first MB aquisitions, it is light and balanced, stocks a good ink tank and it will always look elegant. The downside is that "It's just another MB". The 1912 is heavier and holds less ink, so if you have your ink bottle at hand when writing for long periods of time, this should not be a problem. The nib is the best on the current lineup of MB, springy and smooth. If you like me, carries the pen in the shirt pocket, this pen will fit even the smallest shirt pockets, while uncapped it will be almost the size of a 149. This exactly why I use it the most.

IMO, I would go for a 1912 every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Just meke sure you find the weight comfortable.

Cheers,

Hector

Héctor,

I am in search of my next purchase, I have in mind the Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Arco Brown (if it's still available) and the Conid Bulkfiller King Size, but having read your post, I'm considering also the Heritage 1912 for the same reasons you are using yours right now, I want a pen to use everyday, confortable, reliable. I know this three pens might seems very different from one another, but there are different reasons why I would want each pen.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your comment.

Cheers,

Luis A.

So I have just received my 146 ☺ And oh... it sizes in my hand definitely better than 145! About the size of my newest WE pen but somehow this 146 feels better in hand without the metal section! - I still miss holding 149 in hand, but find it strange to be carrying such a big pen everywhere. So, I havent crossed 1912 out from my list neither as it seems to fall between 146-149 sizewise (and it looks great!) But thats for the future.

Now I can say Im starting to understand 146s fame. Great size, reliable nib. It doesnt give me a wow overall but I can see myself using it a lotwhich is perhaps as good as a wow!

Thanks everyone so much for replies.

Ps. Still want to hear more about 1912 though (:

Edited by wpj_ole

I am glad to hear the 146 is proving to be a good fit for you. The 146 is also my first choice and I have several including Blue Hour and Gold/Black Stripe models. The 144/145 pens were never to my liking and I have one 149 with a broad nib which I like a lot but it does not receive the same level of use as the 146 pens. I was originally lukewarm at best about the 1912 but I finally succumbed to buying one and I have to agree with others who have offered comments that it is a simple beauty in design and writing experience. I always enjoy having it in hand.

Hard choice. I recently picked up a 1912 having previously dismissed it as a Boheme sized pen - it's not. I will try to outline my own experience with both.

The 146 is a nice size, well balanced, posts securely and writes very well. It holds a decent amount of ink. It's a pen with classic appearance, pretty nib and second hand ones that are in very good condition can be got for a very reasonable sum. If you really liked the 149 but found it too big, then the 146 would be a natural choice for replacement. There are a few different finishes that can give you a few extra buying options.

The 1912 is a nice bit of engineering. The homage to the old safety pen is well done in my opinion and I find it's appearance very appealing. The retractable nib has a very smooth action and I like the styling of the pen, including the domed carved snow peak (some people didn't like this aspect). It doesn't post (and you shouldn't try, it will crack the cap), but the pen body is just long enough and thick enough to be comfortable. It's a much weightier pen that will write under it's own weight. If you are more inclined to putting a bit of pressure on the nib this may not be the pen for you because the nib is also soft and bouncy. It's not a flex nib and you won't get any great line variation out of it, but it does have bounce. In that respect it is quite different from a lot of other MB nibs in their current line up and it's smooth and very, very wet. It doesn't hold a great deal of ink according to some, but my own experience with a fine nib is that it seems to be about the same as a converter. Before you consider it, I would strongly advise seeing it in the flesh. As I say, I dismissed it as 'too small' a pen that didn't post, but despite it's deceptively diminutive looks when capped, it's actually a good bit longer and larger than expected. I find it well balanced and a great writer but some may find the extra weight very off-putting.

As an aside, I thought I would love the 1914 but I saw that in the same shop. It is huuuuuge and has enough weight to beat someone to death with it. Not that it would ever be in my affordability, but on seeing it I was surprisingly thankful afterwards that I disliked it!

Excellent observations.

I love my Heritage 1912.

Montblanc called it a special edition (not a limited edition) meaning it was produced for one year only. The pens in circulation at the various boutiques and dealerships are still waiting for a good home. MB might even have a stockpile. Who knows...

Edited by meiers

I love my Heritage 1912.

I think this will just be a matter of—quite a long—time for me to get one!

Maybe because it’s a classic I never get much excitement from meisterstuck.

I have a 1912 in an oblique broad nib and it is fantastic.

I have a 146 in an OBB nib and it is also nice, but not as fun to play with.

I feel like the ink capacity on the 146 is a lot more than on the 1912 though, but I am not 100% sure. Anyone know?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Hello!

I love the Heritage 1912 - I personally think it is nicest modern MB produced. I normally only use vintage 30s/40s MB and I believe the 1912 captures the spirit and emotion of the vintage pieces.

I have a 1912 in an oblique broad nib and it is fantastic.

I have a 146 in an OBB nib and it is also nice, but not as fun to play with.

I feel like the ink capacity on the 146 is a lot more than on the 1912 though, but I am not 100% sure. Anyone know?

The 146 can hold considerably more ink.

After using mine for almost 3 years now, still my daily driver at work. Only thing is the constant capping and uncapping motion causes marks on the barrel, which is shown in the second picture, around the left side of the reflection.

7VtTNwH.jpg

TKMzif4.jpg

Edited by SE1980

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Much as I love the 146 (it was my first MB), the 1912 is the only fountain pen I own that is always inked. I simply love the construction, and the writing experience.

Contrary to what others have written, the cap can be posted. I always write with mine posted.

To do so safely, after extending the nib, place the cap with just the slightest of pressures on the end and turn it fractionally. It should now stay posted. The other 'benefit' I find of posting, is that the cap is secure enough that you can twist the end and withdraw the nib before the cap comes away from the barrel. (All of this is done gently and, of course, you do anything at your own risk.)

Does anyone have the 1912 with an OM or OB nib? I viewed one today at MB and the salesman said he wouldnt recommend an oblique nib on this pen due to its softness. He didnt think it would write so well.

I am planning on buying a new one to get the swap to OM, but if consensus is not to, Ill probably wait for a used F or M to turn up instead.