What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2018

RMN

I've done a bit of nib and feed work on this oblique MB 24 since I received it this past month and this now writes like an absolute dream, absolutely rivaling my best writers like my ST Dupont Olympio, Sailor KoP and Sheaffer PFM. It went from an 'interesting' pen to write with, with a very small sweet spot and start up issues to luscious and distinctive with no skipping or hard starting and a greatly expanded sweet spot (driven by limitations an oblique nib will always create). It is very smooth, very large ink capacity and so easy to maintain/disassemble. It is also very comfortable with no threads or steps. It is now definitely one of my core top pens.

42500815301_4524838140_k.jpg

Edited by Tseg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• Michael R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OM or OF? It looks too fine to be OB or wider.

I have an OM MB22 that is writing very nicely for me. I wish it were a 24 as the slightly larger size would suit my hand better, but of course posting the cap helps. The two-digit MBs and close relatives (e.g. 220) are really great little pens.

Received most of these. The BB on the Antoine is brilliant. The 145 is pretty nice too, it's in great shape but with a BB nib.

ZxhuURr.jpg

Still waiting on the 344...

Went a little crazy today

Brand newAntoine Saint-Exupéry with a BB nib.

145 with an OBB nib

344 with a B nib and engraved star (as opposed to the other one I have with the white star)

149 that will have to be sent to MB for repairs since almost every component is broken.

252 which will be my first 2xx pen.

fpn_1529649900__danish_eye_candy.jpg

Danish-made Coral Red Montblanc Simplo “4” EF from 1937 – 1946

fpn_1529649900__danish_eye_candy.jpg

Danish-made Coral Red Montblanc Simplo 4 EF from 1937 1946

That's a real looker. It found a good home! Congratulations

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom, I am wondering which ink filling system this beautiful pen has.

Thanks-

~ blottingpaperforlife:

Oops! I should have mentioned that.

There's a sac, in good condition.

Under the black end cap is a small brass pump which fills the ink sac.

Convenient and efficient.

Thank you for bringing this oversight to my attention.

Tom K.

Thank you, Tom. I think this again demonstrates how various ink filling systems of Montblanc pens have their own functional values. As you had mentioned in one of your earlier posts, Montblanc pens of various shapes and forms have their unique writing pleasures. I think this is true when it comes to filling systems as well.

That's a real looker. It found a good home! Congratulations

~ zaddick:

Thank you very much.

It's an eye-catching standout on my writing desk.

The feel while writing approaches my ideal of taut construction with exquisite sensitivity to the paper surface.

If the pen is Coral Red, then color me Happy!

Tom K.

Thank you, Tom. I think this again demonstrates how various ink filling systems of Montblanc pens have their own functional values. As you had mentioned in one of your earlier posts, Montblanc pens of various shapes and forms have their unique writing pleasures. I think this is true when it comes to filling systems as well.

~ blottingpaperforlife:

Over time I'm come to realize that variety in fountain pen design features results in variety of writing pleasures.

Whether ink filling systems, nibs, decorative features, color, or scale, fountain pens have their own distinctive charms.

This particular EF nib fountain pen is a wonderfully responsive writer.

For my needs, that's as good as it gets. That it's also beautiful is an added blessing.

Tom K.

Was pretty lucky to get this WE Hemingway on Ebay for a really good price. Evidently the seller got it from an inheritance and didn't really appreciate the value of it. Very please after working out the old ink that was in it.

It appears to be a F nib.

post-49517-0-04043700-1529691879.jpg

Was pretty lucky to get this WE Hemingway on Ebay for a really good price. Evidently the seller got it from an inheritance and didn't really appreciate the value of it. Very please after working out the old ink that was in it.

It appears to be a F nib.

Good find! I've had quite a bit of luck from similar situations as you but never got a good one like you.

fpn_1529698173__silvershine.jpg

Montblanc Sterling Silver 1266 with a White Gold OBBB Nib

For us O3B fans, that pen is a bit of a "mic drop". Another winner. So nice to see the white gold.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I was lucky enough to find this beautiful (for my personal taste) Alfred Hitchcock RB at a very interesting price - and my wife bought it to me as an early 40th birthday present. :) I saw and hold this pen for first time around 5 years ago, and I was impressed by the weigh, the craftsmanship, the texture and the amount of details. Stunning! Im using it since Monday with a LeGrand Fineliner refill, I couldnt be more happy.

fpn_1529701502__47ba32d4-4da4-4da2-a9f0-

fpn_1529701238__0be8eb1a-3b40-4540-8c37-

For us O3B fans, that pen is a bit of a "mic drop". Another winner. So nice to see the white gold.

Gorgeous!! :notworthy1:

fpn_1529698173__silvershine.jpg

Montblanc Sterling Silver 1266 with a White Gold OBBB Nib

I have one just like this, but with an OB. It's one of the smoothest writing pens in my collection. Congratulations!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I have one just like this, but with an OB. It's one of the smoothest writing pens in my collection. Congratulations!

~ jmccarty3:

Thank you so much!

After a couple of days of writing, I know what you mean by smooth writing.

This OBBB nib is exceptional, even among other superbly crafted fountain pens.

I'm glad to know that you also write with one. The simple, classic lines have a no-nonsense elegance about them.

Tom K.

~ zaddick:

It's very kind of you to say that. Thank you!

It's the first white gold pen on my writing desk.

The feed is also unlike anything I've ever used before.

The five OBBBs on my writing desk are all winners — three 149s, a 32, and this 1266.

Of the five, this one is most italic-like in that it produces crisply defined strokes.

Tom K.

Gorgeous!! :notworthy1:

~ Ghost Plane:

You're to blame for this beauty being on my writing desk.

Ha! Your years of tireless advocacy for the Broad Side directly influenced me towards OBBBs.

See what you've done? Now there are no less than five OBBBs available for use, and every one of them is a joy.

This may be a small scale pen, but the OBBB nib is large output. Ideal for use in certain situations where an OBBB is needed but less obtrusive.

The single greatest conceptual ‘leap of faith’ in my fountain pen journey was listening to you and deciding to use an OBBB for ordinary daily writing.

Having been a dedicated EF nib writer, I'd been misguided to think that the “big boys” would be difficult to use, making a splotchy mess.

As it turned out, and as you knew, nothing could be farther from the case. In fact, OBBBs are practical pens which are highly responsive to fingertip pressure.

Color me happy and please pass the cookies...white chocolate chip, of course!

Tom K.