Opinions Needed 90's Parker Duofold Vs Sailor Kop

JohnRCM

Ok so I have the chance to pick up either a Parker Duofold International with mechanical pencil set the barrels appear to be orange colored they come in a wooden box that says special edition and are supposedly unused new old stock for $1000. Or I can purchase a new production Sailor KOP Pro Gear model in the brown earth color for like $816. So in your opinion which pen would be a better choice for a pen I plan to write pretty much every day for at least an hour with. FYI this pen will just be used for writing at my desk at home not for traveling or work. Currently my fountain pen is a cheap cross pen from Staples so looking for an upgrade.

Thanks,

John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnRCM

• jar

• Bluey

• wspohn

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak for Parker, but I can vouch for Sailor. They're excellent pens. I have the Pro Gear Slim version which is perfect for my hand- of course the KOP version will be much larger.

Sailor Medium and Broad nibs have a pronounced sweet spot that's rather infamous. I love mine but many don't, so it's something to consider if you are looking at one of those nib sizes.

I know the '90's and later Sonnets were nothing but troubles....lots complained often. The P-75 was the Sonnet that worked.....never paid any attention to the modern Duofold....I do have a semi-flex English made Parker Jr. Duofold.

The Sailor pen has a better reputation as far as I would think.It is just an impression I got from reading on the com.

I have five pre-70 Parkers and some more modern cheap ones I don't really know which....in they are nails and I don't use nails.

Put that question on both Parker and the Japanese pen section.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

A cheap stationary store pen to a 1000 dollar pen? That's quite a jump isn't it? Maybe pick up something intermediate first, like something in the 50 or 100 dollar range? A Pelikan or a Platinum 3776 perhaps? A lot of people talk about the Loom as being good if you want something a bit larger and heavier than average.

I do remember that orange set. Very nice, but whether or not it's worth $1000 is up to you.

I have a Parker Duofold pen and pencil from about 1989 (?) and I have been very happy. Mine happen to be in marbled maroon.

I could be wrong, but I thought that the boxed set came in Centennial size.

FYI, I very seldom use the pencil, so you might consider if the set is worth it if you don't think you'll use the pencil.

I also have a Sonnet from that era that has been a pleasure to use.

All in all, that's a heck of an upgrade from a cheap Staples pen. I don't know if I'd want to dive off the deep end like that.

Charles Rice you are correct in that the original set that was limited to 1000 pieces did have the centennial size pen. But when they continued forward with it and just kept the special edition log on the box they went with the international sized pen I believe in 1993 at least that is what my research has told me so far.

I would agree with Charles Rice in that you're diving off in the deep end far too soon. If you're just wanting it to write with there are plenty of much cheaper and better value options. If I was forced kicking and screaming into paying that much for a pen then I would have the KoP because it has the better nib.

Limited editions are a waste unless you're a collector. A Sailor Professional Gear costing around $130 would suit as well as any.

Edited by Bluey

Out of a choice between the 2 pens, I would go for the KoP. The Orange duofolds are nice but the Centennial is the one to have and $1000 sounds a lot to me particularly when some of that money is tied up in a pencil you don't necessarily want.

If you cannot actually try the pens before you buy, you risk some disappointment. If possible I suggest using some of your dollars to travel to a pen store or even better a show so you can see and try the pens before you buy. Good luck! :thumbup:

Since everyone seems to think less is more. How are Edison pens?

Essentially they're pretty barrels with an overpolished mediocre nib. Their nibs are plug'n'play types. Many people seem to like them though.

Edited by Bluey

A cheap stationary store pen to a 1000 dollar pen? That's quite a jump isn't it? Maybe pick up something intermediate first, like something in the 50 or 100 dollar range? A Pelikan or a Platinum 3776 perhaps? A lot of people talk about the Loom as being good if you want something a bit larger and heavier than average.

My first thought, as well. There are many good pens, new ones, selling for $150 - $250. There are dependable steel-nibbed pens, such as the Lamy Studio, for less than $100.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Good to know about Edison I will definitely pass on them than. And it's a good point about the pencil especially with the set because I will never use the pencil and I agree the centennial would be more desirable. I may try to get to a show to try and saw some stuff in person. I had the chance to try a Nakaya today and I kind of liked that but I'm not familiar with them at all.

Good to know about Edison I will definitely pass on them than. And it's a good point about the pencil especially with the set because I will never use the pencil and I agree the centennial would be more desirable. I may try to get to a show to try and saw some stuff in person. I had the chance to try a Nakaya today and I kind of liked that but I'm not familiar with them at all.

Don't believe everything posted on the web. In fact disregard 99% of the "authoritative" posts.

Edison pens are made by a member here, and it is a small artisan operation with an owner who is very committed to customer service.

Nakaya pens are also quite nice and another artisan creation. IIRC the total staff at Nakaya is about a half dozen folk. Each pen's nib is hand tuned by one of two masters. All the key personnel are retired Masters from Platinum Pen Company. You will find each Nakaya will be slightly different since each body is individually hand turned.

The modern Parker Duofold is generally a reliable workhorse pen.

The Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear is an absolutely fantastic pen. It is a wide body for comfort yet short enough to fit comfortably in a shirt pocket.

Other pens in the same general category of Artisan Pens that you might consider are the Platinum Izumo series, the Danitrio pens and the pens from the last company actually making ebonite left in Japan, Eboya.

Some Boring Details that help show the variation between pens of the same make and model.

http://www.fototime.com/DD17DCF7FE9CDCA/large.jpg

And of course the requisite PRON.

http://www.fototime.com/E5C55BBB4D02DDB/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/405D64928CED22C/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/3C65A9D236DCDD8/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/286DB25CF1DCEF3/medium800.jpg

My Website

Don't believe everything posted on the web. In fact disregard 99% of the "authoritative" posts.

Edison pens are made by a member here, and it is a small artisan operation with an owner who is very committed to customer service.

Nakaya pens are also quite nice and another artisan creation. IIRC the total staff at Nakaya is about a half dozen folk. Each pen's nib is hand tuned by one of two masters. All the key personnel are retired Masters from Platinum Pen Company. You will find each Nakaya will be slightly different since each body is individually hand turned.

The Edisons are very nice, very pretty and well made barrels. People like them. The pens are intended to showcase the pretty and well made barrels, but the nibs are still mediocre overpolished plug'n'play Jowo nibs.

The Nakaya nibs are Platinum nibs(Platinum nibs are very good btw, unlike Jowo), the same as those found on Platinum 3776s costing around $60. But tweaked and imprinted with Nakaya instead of Platinum. Nakaya pens are essentially Platinum nibs with hand made barrels.

Edited by Bluey

The Edisons are very nice, very pretty and well made barrels. People like them. The pens are intended to showcase the pretty and well made barrels, but the nibs are still mediocre overpolished plug'n'play Jowo nibs.

The Nakaya nibs are Platinum nibs(Platinum nibs are very good btw, unlike Jowo), the same as those found on Platinum 3776s costing around $60. But tweaked and imprinted with Nakaya instead of Platinum. Nakaya pens are essentially Platinum nibs with hand made barrels.

Your opinion is noted. You did good. I'll put the picture on the refrigerator.

My Website

Any one have experience with Graf Von Faber-Castell? How are there pens in comparison to the others.

Also thank you for the pictures and spec chart that was very nice.

Any one have experience with Graf Von Faber-Castell? How are there pens in comparison to the others.

I have a Faber Castell Loom, which is a lower end FC pen and it's really top notch.

My expectations for Graf von Faber Castell are exceedingly high. For me they're in the "some day....maybe" category. I'd buy with perfect confidence if I had the money.

I have some Graf von Faber Castell pens. It is yet another company that pays attention to even the most mundane parts. Also great customer service. I have examples of the Classic, Guiloche and Intuition. The two former have very thin sections which may be a problem for some. The Intuition models have a broad section that is very comfortable even over extended sessions.

http://www.fototime.com/E709C84FA0B6CF7/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/EB50EB884E08D8E/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A8E60FA3CE9FAC7/medium800.jpg

My Website