The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Feeds Absorbing Ink

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lectraplayer

lectraplayer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:41

Anyone ever noticed that some pens, especially ebonite feeds seem to absorb ink that can't be flushed out? I'm finding this in one of my demonstrators. After a good disassembly and rinse, I reassembled it and filled with water, but this water turned blue overnight. (My last ink in this pen was a blue ink)
If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

Sponsored Content

#2 Mew

Mew

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 14:46

Ebonite will absorb ink, it is a hygroscopic material.
But it will also give you more ink flow than a plastic feed on the same unless it is adjusted.

#3 lectraplayer

lectraplayer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 15:41

What is the proper way to clean it if changing inks then? I guess I have to soak it to get the old ink out?
If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

#4 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 15:51

What is the proper way to clean it if changing inks then? I guess I have to soak it to get the old ink out?

Don't worry about ultra-flushing. Trace amounts of ink should not harm each other. If I'm feeling energetic, I might start a flush using a 1:10 ammonia: water solution. (That's most of what is in commercial pen flush, such as J.B's Perfect Pen Flush). Then plain water.

Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#5 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,158 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 17:29

Ebonite is good for faster (wetter) nibs....semi-flex and flexier.

It does take a bit of time to saturate an ebonite feed as others said, but then it works better than plastic.

Ebonite is sawn so is rough, and the roughness holds and controls the ink.

Lamy's plastic feed is chemically roughened to get it 'equal' to ebonite according to Peningineer a com member who use to work on Lamy feeds and nibs. The Lamy feed is '20-30's smooth on the bottom; so roughness of the feed slows down the flow of ink....in that case. I've not yanked apart my Lamy Joy to see how the top is buffered.

The combs/rills of the buffers on feeds are there to slow down the flow of ink, in the stiffer the nib the less fast it is; the more it could blob; the more buffering is needed to prevent that.

The huge collector (full of combs/rills) 'back' feed of the P-51 was designed for a super fast ink, that dried very, very fast. Unfortunately that ink ate every other pen's feeds...including Parker Vac's.  Soon it was taken from the market.

A trick I learned a long time ago, is after you have cleaned your pen, and shaken it in a paper towel like an old fashioned thermometer, let the pen sit in a cup wrapped with the paper towel overnight or at least a few hours. There is 'always' some residue of ink that shows up....no matter how clean one thought the pen was.

What is the true face of Alec Guinness?

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens.  Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#6 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 17:41

Ultrasonic-clean your feed - you might be amazed at how much ink residue on any feed.

#7 Mew

Mew

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 20:50

Don't bother with it. I have pens with ebonite feeds and I don't even soak them. Clean it well, like you would clean any other pen, and there would be no mixing of inks when you dip the nib into the bottle for filling ink.
It takes an overnight soak for the water to get some ink out of that feed. Nothing will happen in 10-15 secs.

If you still want to think about it, go ahead and use an ultrasonic cleaner. That should completely clean it.

Edited by Mew, 02 January 2018 - 20:51.

Sponsored Content

|