The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Another Rabbit Hole

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:23

Hey Guys-

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I may have some questions in the near future.  I've recently gotten into fountain pens as yet another hobby (one of my older hobbies became my job, so clearly I've got a weakness for this kind of thing).  So far I've got the following:

• TWSBI Eco (Stub)
  • TWSBI Vac700r (Stub)
  • Lamy Studio (Medium Nib)
  • Pilot Vanishing Point (F and Stub)
  • S.T. Dupont Montparnasse Chairman in Black Lacquer and Gold Trim (Medium Nib)
  • Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black (Medium Nib)
  • Pilot Custom 912 (FA Nib)
  • and a couple more that don't come to mind right now

Inks seem to be piling up on my desk at work too... a lot of pilot iroshizuku. I spend a decent bit of time in Japan so Japanese stuff tends to be more accessible to me in general.  Anyways, lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting a bigger pen. It started with me thinking about the Visconti homo sapiens dark age, but then switched to the MB 149 (either b or bb).  However, the last few days have left me looking at Sailor KOP options (anything from the Pro Gear KOP to the Ebonite)... maybe in a medium nib, as it appears to have a bit more flex in it, and I really love that feeling in my Pilot 912.  Anyways, just saying hi, but if you want to weigh in on my decision-making process, I wouldn't mind the feedback.  I've been extremely indecisive lately.

-Jon

Sponsored Content

#2 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:45

Welcome Jon :thumbup:

I would suggest the KoP as that is perhaps the epitome of a great nib. Many of the others are pretenders, and the MB is just overpriced junk. I have the Pilot 912 FA and although I like the softness, there is something about Pilot feedback, other than in the Falcon which I like, which can sometimes feel like a mild version of chalk scraping down a chalkboard.

Sailor nibs, I've found, are universally and consistently great.

Edited by Bluey, 02 January 2018 - 04:55.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#3 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 04:54

yeah... doesn't hurt that it's also one of the more reasonably priced options for me too.  On the Pilot 912 FA, I know what you mean on the feedback, and it took some getting used to.  But I've got mostly tomoe river paper, and I've gotten used to it.  Also, it helps that my writing looks awesome when I write with that pen.  On the other hand, my handwriting looked like (bleep) when I started writing with my sailor imperial black, so I hated it, but I've come to enjoy that nib as well lately.  I've also had to work on my handwriting quite a bit though.

#4 Bluey

Bluey

Somewhere between green and indigo

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:13

Yeah I keep telling myself that even my crappy handwriting actually looks quite stylish with the FA nib, something which most pens can't achieve. But the feedback goes through me. 20% of the time I quite like it, but the other 80% it jars me and goes through me in an indescribable way. This feedback though I can feel in all other Pilot pens - the Capless/VP, all the Custom series, the MR, and the Elite series - but much less the Falcon.

The feedback on Sailor nibs is like a pleasant and extremely mild grittiness, and on many of the finer nibs below medium it has a sweet spot where it can feel slightly scratchy when you rotate a little too much either side of the sweet spot. But it's certainly not unpleasant, and is actually rather nice and adds to the uniqueness of the feedback.

A nice pen is always a great motivator for improving ones handwriting, so you'll make improvements with the right pen I'm sure.

Edited by Bluey, 02 January 2018 - 05:17.

Mediterranean blue, Asa Goa, China blue, Royal blue, Sapphire blue, Indigo, Washable Blue....the colours of the rainbow.

#5 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:51

yup... I get it.  Though aside from the FA, I've tried quite a few pilot pens while in Japan, and I found none of the other ones to have that feel.  However, I tend to like more broad nibs or stubs (my handwriting looks better and they feel better), and sadly most of what I see in Japan is on the medium or finer side of things.

On the sailor, that's exactly my experience, and it has grown on me a lot... hence my consideration of the KoP.

#6 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:46

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

#7 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:48

Welcome!  Glad you are with us!

Great start to a great collection!

#8 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:06

ok... so a moment of weakness... just ordered a Sailor KOP with a medium nib... lets see how it goes

#9 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:41

Hello Jon and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:

#10 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 10,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:44

Greetings and welcome to FPN.
Khan

#11 Cormite

Cormite

Near Mint

• Member - Bronze+

• PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:46

Hey Guys-

Just wanted to introduce myself, as I may have some questions in the near future.  I've recently gotten into fountain pens as yet another hobby (one of my older hobbies became my job, so clearly I've got a weakness for this kind of thing).  So far I've got the following:

• TWSBI Eco (Stub)
  • TWSBI Vac700r (Stub)
  • Lamy Studio (Medium Nib)
  • Pilot Vanishing Point (F and Stub)
  • S.T. Dupont Montparnasse Chairman in Black Lacquer and Gold Trim (Medium Nib)
  • Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black (Medium Nib)
  • Pilot Custom 912 (FA Nib)
  • and a couple more that don't come to mind right now

Inks seem to be piling up on my desk at work too... a lot of pilot iroshizuku. I spend a decent bit of time in Japan so Japanese stuff tends to be more accessible to me in general.  Anyways, lately, I've been toying with the idea of getting a bigger pen. It started with me thinking about the Visconti homo sapiens dark age, but then switched to the MB 149 (either b or bb).  However, the last few days have left me looking at Sailor KOP options (anything from the Pro Gear KOP to the Ebonite)... maybe in a medium nib, as it appears to have a bit more flex in it, and I really love that feeling in my Pilot 912.  Anyways, just saying hi, but if you want to weigh in on my decision-making process, I wouldn't mind the feedback.  I've been extremely indecisive lately.

-Jon

Hi Jon,

Nice pens! Welcome to the community. I hope you enjoy it!

Carlos.

#12 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 11:50

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.  The Sailor KoP is a nice pen.

medium800.jpg

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#13 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:52

Hi Jon,  :W2FPN:

#14 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:06

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#15 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,960 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:36

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#16 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 03:36

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC.
Mike

#17 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 15:49

Welcome, Jon !  

I encourage you to ask your questions.  You will, certainly learn from the answers, but many of us learn from the discussions that follow.  

Please include,in your large-pen consideration, the Pelikan  Souverän 

M-1000, and the vintage Parker Duofold Senior.  

Write with joy.

Edited by Sasha Royale, 03 January 2018 - 15:49.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#18 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:02

I've been thinking about the pelikan souveran stuff lately... gonna wait for a bit and play around with the Sailor KoP for a bit first.  Havent really gotten into the american pens so much, but got a friend who is into vintage ones.  Plan to get together with him soon to check some out.

#19 Heldin

Heldin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:13

Welcome to FPN! 

that moment of weakness will probably become joy when you receive your pen ;)

#20 JBroida

JBroida

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 22:16

well, I'll know more tomorrow when it arrives ;)

Sponsored Content

|