The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Weidlich Bulb Filler

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrp100

mrp100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 21:01

Started the new year by rummaging through some long ignored pen storage boxes and came across this Weidlich bulb filler (bulb is missing). I have a couple of Weidlich matchstick fillers, for which I believe the Company was best known. However, I was not aware that they produced a bulb filler. The PCA archives contain two Weidlich brochures, one from before 1910 and one from 1930, and neither contains a bulb filler. Because this pen was plastic, Im guessing it was produced in the mid 1920s. Curious if anyone else has come across one of these or knows anything more about it.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 21:02

Pretty pen, and I'd not heard of that brand before.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#3 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 23:15

I own three O.E. Weidlich pens; an eyedropper filler, one exactly like yours except for color, and a desk pen.  The eyedropper has a wonderful XXF flex nib that I enjoy using for correspondence. There isn't much out there regarding the history of Weidlichs but you can find a paragraph on the Richard's Pens website and I found the information below on the Pen Collecting For Anyone website.

O. E. Weidlich Pen Company was a pen manufacturing company in Cincinnati, Ohio; founded by Otto Emil Weidlich. He started business in 1889 and produced gold pen nibs, holders, stylographic pens, and fountain pens. The company closed in 1914, selling out to Betzler & Wilson of Akron, Ohio, which moved everything to Akron to expand its own production.  O. E. Weidlich Co. formally dissolved in 1915.

It is interesting that you found a brochure from 1930 given the above information, unless there were two Weidlich Pen companies!

Attached Images

• Weidlich Eyedropper filler.jpg

Edited by linearM, 01 January 2018 - 23:24.

#4 mrp100

mrp100

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 00:48

Thanks linearM. The earlier document on the PCA website is a 1908-09 catalog for Wm. Weidlich & Bro., Manufacturers' Agents and Distributors. They were based in St. Louis, MO. The catalog features the matchstick fillers that are familiar to many collectors, but the pens are described as "The Wright" Self Filling Fountain Pens. The 1930 catalogue on the PCA website has only lever fillers. The front page says The Weidlich Pen Mfg. Co., Cincinnati, OH. I wonder whether the "Bro" of Wm. Weidlich was O.E. Weidlich. In any event, there seems to be more to the story than either of us knows.

Im attaching a couple of photos of my favorite matchstick filler.

#5 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 23:39

Beautiful!  What is the nib like.  I keep hoping I will find another nib like the one in my eyedropper filler, but I don't think it is very likely.

I will have to ask one of the members of my pen club about the Weidlich pens.  He is almost an encyclopedia if knowledge regarding pens and their history.  I will pass along anything I find out.

Sponsored Content

|