The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sonnet Nib And Feeds Replaceable?

sonnet nib parker feed replaceable

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gringomckinley

gringomckinley

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 17:18

I own two Parker Sonnets, bought them in an online auction together. I do not care for the nib and feed, they always start off dry, scratchy, and often skip. I was wondering if there were parts, doesn't have to be Parker, I could buy separately to swap out? I have no issues making these Frankenpens as long as they work how I like. I live in South America so shipping them to the US or Europe to get nib work done would be pretty costly and the postal system here isn't that reliable. Any suggestions would be great. 

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,896 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 17:43

You should be able to buy spare nib units on the Internet. It is simple to install. They simply screw into the section like Pelikan.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 23:22

OP's description does read as if the nib needs tuning.  Then, if OP still doesn't like it, sell it with the confidence that it is tuned and can be sold without deception.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 09:19

As Hari says, the nibs and feed unscrew as a unit. It's how I turned my one from a medium to a broad italic. A typical gold one is here: https://www.ebay.co....it/173060558826 . If there are any steel ones around, they should cost a bit less. A good bit less.

Regards,

Richard.

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:28

ebay is your friend here.

It is also possible to find just a nib and feed that have been already pulled out of the Sonnet section. If not gold, then these can be quite inexpensive to buy on ebay.

There are a few Parker Sonnet copies around that are really cheap. Those nibs and feeds could fit the Parker Sonnet too. I wouldn't expect them to be fantastic writers though....

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 17:46

Some of the Sonnet fakes and look-alikes have nibs and feeds that are friction fit.  These are not nib units in the sense of Sonnet or Pelikan, but separate nib and feed.  These might foit into Sonnet's section. 

Here's a nib unit, gold plated steel, that I found on ebay:  https://www.ebay.com...LYAAOSwbw1aB13f

The above nib unit is actually for a Parker Insignia, as the chevrons show.  This nib will fit Sonnet, and the Insignia sections are compatible with Sonnet.  I have both pens and have interchanged nibs and sections.  The Insignia does not have the gold ring at the leading edge of the section as Sonnet does.  Just some useless info in case you run into an Insignia. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 16:19

I've bought nib and feed as well as section replacements, readily available from ebay, sometimes from seller forecast pens on amazon, there's also one or two sellers in the UK. They are notorious evaporators, I finally got a tiny tub of silicone grease, applied some to the cap crown and that seems to have solved it.

I toyed with the idea of buying a Chinese knock off but I wanted less problems, not more. Both my nibs are steel, one is really smooth, the other one seems to improve the more I use it.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#8 Mitenae

Mitenae

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:30

The Online Pen Company in the UK sells Sonnet nib/feed units. I've been looking for one myself (replacing a M with an EF) and was pointed there. 

#9 Dutchpen

Dutchpen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 20:15

I have new Parker sonnet nib assemblies available in steel, gold plate and 18ct solid gold (single and two tone).

Please Pm me of interested.
Nib (re)plating: please visit www.Dutchpen.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sonnet, nib, parker, feed, replaceable

Sponsored Content

|