Which Montblanc Would You Recommend?

Prahasaurus

excellent base for daily use with quality!!

others added for more kicking around are Pilot ProGears and Aurora Talentums....

and I hope you will not stop after 3, it's okay to put yourself into some level of debt to buy a true dream pen or two...

Ha, yeah. I'm sure many on this board at one time had illusions of purchasing only "a few" fountain pens...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prahasaurus

• torstar

• zaddick

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha, yeah. I'm sure many on this board at one time had illusions of purchasing only "a few" fountain pens...

There are phases many of us go through, impulse buying isn't the best one for limited edition pens....

I had friends with impressive collections that sold off great pens for practical prices in order to buy more pens or raise some quick liquid cash.

Alas, they are no more in my life, but I'm quite content enjoying the purchases in this phase.

Great suggestions everyone! Interestingly, I was just looking at the Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand before I read your post, Tom! Someone had listed it as a purchase from 2017 in another thread, and I love the look.

Quick question: is the lack of an ink window an issue for you Solitaire owners?

I'm not familiar with the "13x" series, can you provide a link?

I think the Unicef Platinum-coated LeGrand also looks quite nice. A nice take on the classic 146. And I especially like the platinum color over gold.

The Blue Hour is a beautiful pen and I'm grateful to have one. The lack of ink window doesn't bother me. While it is helpful to have one, I find myself running out of ink on regular 146s without always realising and despite the ink window.

One thing that is a potential issue for you is that the Blue Hour has a metal section. I have what I consider relatively dry hands but I still find writing with the Blue Hour for extended periods not as comfortable as with a resin section. The pen is also considerably heavier than the usual 146. Again, I like the heft, but it isn't for everyone.

I suggest a standard 146 or Ultra Black (or a 149 given your hand size) as an everyday writer as well as, perhaps, the Blue Hour. As an alternative, the white Tribute to The Mont Blanc is also very nice to write with. Maybe get an M nib on the everyday and a B on the pricier version.

Final comment about weight, I love my Ultra Black but it because of the finishing on the piston winder, the balance doesn't work for me and I don't find myself reaching for it quite as often as I otherwise might.

Update: I purchased the 146 Ultra Black Legrand with a Medium nib!

I was originally thinking I'd get an F nib, but I went to the Montblanc boutique at the Emirates Mall today in Dubai and they had one last Ultra Black on sale for 30% off, but only in M. I'm thinking I can make the work for my needs, which are mainly note taking during meetings.

Seemed to be a great deal I just couldn't pass up.

Update: I purchased the 146 Ultra Black Legrand with a Medium nib!

I was originally thinking I'd get an F nib, but I went to the Montblanc boutique at the Emirates Mall today in Dubai and they had one last Ultra Black on sale for 30% off, but only in M. I'm thinking I can make the work for my needs, which are mainly note taking during meetings.

Seemed to be a great deal I just couldn't pass up.

Dubai nib exchanges are quite quick specially for non-limited editions. Take it for a swap if u change ur mind

Dubai nib exchanges are quite quick specially for non-limited editions. Take it for a swap if u change ur mind

They told me 6 to 8 weeks minimum... !!!

Also, can I exchange after using the pen? I would obviously assume yes. But they weren't so clear when I asked this question at the boutique, even implying it won't happen if I use the pen.

Great purchase!

I usually recommend being happy with the nib as you get to learn about the pen, but you are beyond that stage, so hopefully you get what you want.

They told me 6 to 8 weeks minimum... !!!

Also, can I exchange after using the pen? I would obviously assume yes. But they weren't so clear when I asked this question at the boutique, even implying it won't happen if I use the pen.

PM Sent

Same answers from me as usual:1965-1980 MB149 and 1974-1986MB146, the best of the best

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Having said that, I was hoping to have something that is a bit unique, not just a standard 146 or 149. Perhaps that is the way I'll go in the end, not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Well, you really shot down my suggestion with that last sentence :P

I really admire the simple elegance of those two -- not to mention their feel in the hand and on paper. And, since this is going to be an EDC pen I'd advise to reconsider.

Re: lasting a lifetime. All of mine were bought second-hand and are a minimum of 25 years old and are working perfectly still. The best part is that they can be sent back to MB for a general overhaul and unless you need a new nib, the service costs about $100.

Just a quick update. I bought the Ultra Black Legrand. By chance, the Montblanc boutique at Mall of the Emirates had the pen on sale with a 30% discount. It was the last one they had in stock, but unfortunately with an M nib. I inked it and used it for a bit, liked the performance, but didn't like the line widths. For everyday carry, I really need an EF.

I returned the pen to the Montblanc boutique at the Dubai Mall, on the advice of Pravda, to exchange nibs. He told me when to go, to whom I should speak, etc. Very detailed advice. The Dubai Mall boutique said they had a new EF nib in stock in the UAE, and so they would have it exchanged for me in 5 working days! So it seems I got the best of both worlds, the exact pen I wanted new at a nice discount, and now the exact nib I require with only an additional week of wait time.

A huge thanks to Pravda for his help!

And the shop at Dubai Mall is fantastic. Lots of rare pens on display. Really worth a visit if you are in Dubai.

Edited by Prahasaurus

Just a quick update. I bought the Ultra Black Legrand. By chance, the Montblanc boutique at Mall of the Emirates had the pen on sale with a 30% discount. It was the last one they had in stock, but unfortunately with an M nib. I inked it and used it for a bit, liked the performance, but didn't like the line widths. For everyday carry, I really need an EF.

I returned the pen to the Montblanc boutique at the Dubai Mall, on the advice of Pravda, to exchange nibs. He told me when to go, to whom I should speak, etc. Very detailed advice. The Dubai Mall boutique said they had a new EF nib in stock in the UAE, and so they would have it exchanged for me in 5 working days! So it seems I got the best of both worlds, the exact pen I wanted new at a nice discount, and now the exact nib I require with only an additional week of wait time.

A huge thanks to Pravda for his help!

And the shop at Dubai Mall is fantastic. Lots of rare pens on display. Really worth a visit if you are in Dubai.

~ Prahasaurus:

Congratulations on your Ultra Black Legend.

The rapid turnaround for the EF nib is great to hear.

Personal guidance from Pravda is the best. His knowledge, down-to-earth attitude and gracious helpfulness is impressive.

Enjoy your lovely new pen! Thank you for sharing this update with us.

Tom K.

Update:

So I took my Ultra Black to the Montblanc boutique at the Dubai Mall to exchange nibs. The purchased M nib was a bit too much for the intended purpose: taking notes during business meetings and bullet journaling. So I decided to switch to an EF. While I purchased the pen new at a nice discount from Mall of the Emirates, I wasn't really happy with how they approached a possible nib exchange. Basically discouraging it, and then quoting 8-9 weeks... Dubai Mall had a different approach, seemed very accommodating, and after checking their database of nibs in stock, quoted just 5 working days. Quite a difference.

Yesterday I picked the pen up, exactly one week from when I dropped it off. They inked it up for me in the shop to test, and it worked perfectly: not scratchy, nice ink flow, very manageable line width. Exactly what I need for this pen, so I'm very happy.

I have 2 more 146 pens on the way, both pre-owned, and will update with pictures when they all arrive. Thanks once again to everyone's help here. And especially Pravda, who is quite the celebrity at the Dubai Mall Montblanc shop...

Edited by Prahasaurus

Thanks once again to everyone's help here. And especially Pravda, who is quite the celebrity at the Dubai Mall Montblanc shop...

~ Which is nice to know and unsurprising, given his sophisticated Montblanc collection.

Tom K.

I'm always a fan of a MB146 in OB or BB or OBB. I love those nibs!

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I'm always a fan of a MB146 in OB or BB or OBB. I love those nibs!

Based on your profile pic, you have a few. I'm on the hunt for a MB 146/149 Stub currently (separate post in the classifieds), but I have heard that the BB writes somewhat "stubbily". I don't tend to rotate my nib, so the obliques might not gain me much.

Any comparison you could provide between a MB BB and something like a Binder CI 0.8 (it's one of my favorite nibs)?

Well for you, if you wrestle on, for in persistency lies victory, and with the morning may come the wished-for blessing. But not always; there is a struggle with defeat which some of you will have to bear, and it will be well for you if you have cultivated a cheerful equanimity. Remember, too, that sometimes 'from our desolation only does the better life begin.' Even with disaster ahead, it is better to face them with a smile, and with the head erect, than to crouch at their approach. And, if the fight is for principle and justice, even when failure seems certain, where many have failed before, cling to your ideal, and, like Childe Roland before the dark tower, set the slug-horn to your lips, blow the challenge, and calmly await the conflict.

--"Aequanimitas" William Osler

Valedictory Address, University of Pennsylvania, May 1, 1889

I would recommend a platinum 149. it won't be a 'show off' if your superiors also use fountain pens. but also distinctive from other 149s.

Edited by SpecTP