Which Montblanc Would You Recommend?

Prahasaurus

I'm looking to purchase my first Montblanc fountain pen (perhaps even two), but there are so many great options, it's a bit overwhelming. I'd love your thoughts and recommendations, both on the model and type of nib. My specific situation is as follows:

1 - I'm looking to use it daily at work. I'm an executive in an IT company, do a lot on my computer, obviously, but still take handwritten notes all day, manage my "to do" lists, and keep a written journal. So this pen would get a lot of work daily.

2 - I have above average sized hands (I'm 6'2", or about 189cm). So larger pens are not an issue. Smaller pens are an issue... Doesn't mean I definitely need a mammoth pen, however.

3 - New or pre-owned are both possible.

4 - No specific budget, but would not want to pay more than 1500 USD for one pen. And I'm happy to pay much less...

5 - I really want this to be a pen (or perhaps 2 pens?) that last a lifetime, which at my age is probably another 30 years. Maybe a bit less as I love bacon. ;-)

6 - I did a lot of international travel, but as of late, I'm traveling less frequently, probably once a month max. Not sure if this is relevant.

7 - I'm not looking for a "blingey" pen that screams "look at me!" I realize anyone would get attention with a fountain pen regardless, especially when 99% of my colleagues take notes on a laptop.. And of course Montblanc in general will draw some attention. But I'm not looking to buy a piece of jewelry, I want a pen that will write well for decades, if properly cared for.

Having said that, I was hoping to have something that is a bit unique, not just a standard 146 or 149. Perhaps that is the way I'll go in the end, not sure.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Prahasaurus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Prahasaurus

• torstar

• zaddick

• siamackz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any Writers Edition that looks good to you :-)

Cheers

Michael

I like the Hemingway, but my guess is that would be around 1800 USD pre-owned, which is a bit more than I had hoped to pay (but possible). But I worry I'd be a bit nervous about using a 1800 USD pen. And as a fountain pen newbie, I'm not sure if I want to deal with any issues related to its pre-owned condition.

The Jules Verne also looks quite nice: elegant, yet restrained. But unlike Hemingway, I'm not a huge fan of Verne, so that would diminish the pen a bit to me. Perhaps that sounds irrational, but I wouldn't want to own a pen inspired by a personality in which I don't really have a connection.

Edited by Prahasaurus

I'm looking to purchase my first Montblanc fountain pen (perhaps even two), but there are so many great options, it's a bit overwhelming. I'd love your thoughts and recommendations, both on the model and type of nib. My specific situation is as follows:

1 - I'm looking to use it daily at work. I'm an executive in an IT company, do a lot on my computer, obviously, but still take handwritten notes all day, manage my "to do" lists, and keep a written journal. So this pen would get a lot of work daily.

4 - No specific budget, but would not want to pay more than 1500 USD for one pen. And I'm happy to pay much less...

5 - I really want this to be a pen (or perhaps 2 pens?) that last a lifetime, which at my age is probably another 30 years. Maybe a bit less as I love bacon. ;-)

7 - I'm not looking for a "blingey" pen that screams "look at me!" I realize anyone would get attention with a fountain pen regardless, especially when 99% of my colleagues take notes on a laptop.. And of course Montblanc in general will draw some attention. But I'm not looking to buy a piece of jewelry, I want a pen that will write well for decades, if properly cared for.

Having said that, I was hoping to have something that is a bit unique, not just a standard 146 or 149.

~ Hi, Prahasaurus!

Welcome to the FPN Montblanc Forum.

Your post is so sincere, superbly written and compelling, that it got me to thinking.

Recommending a fountain pen to someone else is a tough challenge, as there are so many intangibles involved.

Taste alone is such a personal quality that it's daunting to imagine what might suit you, or anyone else.

Nevertheless, after rereading your post several times, I went to the Montblanc USA Web site to look over all currently listed fountain pens.

Moving the cursor over each pen shown, it either reads ‘Buy Now’ or ‘See Details’. The former means that the pen is currently available through the on-line shop.

I limited my search to those pens listed as ‘Buy Now’, as if I were buying today.

Juggling your various preferences tended to nudge me toward a Platinum-coated LeGrand (146), but it's a ‘See Details’ pen.

While I mostly write with 149s and am your size, somehow 146-sized pens seemed like less obtrusive yet reliable pens for long-term use.

Considering what might be a bit unique, yet not blingy, guided me towards certain choices.

Any pen that might be mentioned as a possibility could easily be countered with other options, ultimately ending up with a “visit a Montblanc boutique” recommendation.

After the dust settled in my thoughts, a pen which stood out was the Meisterstück Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand fountain pen.

It's distinctively elegant without being ostentatious. The platinum-coated fittings are subdued enough to fit into business settings.

The beautiful nib design would wear well through the years. The blue lacquer hexagon pattern is attractive yet understated.

Those who've written with it have praised it as a daily writer. It's currently offered through the on-line shop.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/293156-montblanc-blue-hour-under-blue-hour/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305499-mont-blanc-meisterstuck-solitaire-blue-hour-legrand-fountain-pen/

Although there's not one in my set of working pens, it would be a most welcome addition.

Then again, it may be remote from your taste. Others will likely offer recommendations based on their wide experience with Montblanc fountain pens.

As to nibs, a standard Medium (M) nib writes very well in meetings. I have two M nibs which are reliable, smooth writers.

Whatever you finally decide, it would be most welcome to read a future post with your selection and how it suited you, after writing with it.

With Best Wishes for the New Year 2018,

Tom K.

What a wonderfully thoughtful reply Tom :thumbup:. It is for members like you that I joined the excellent FPN.

Pavoni.

If you are looking for something different than a regular 146 you could look at the unicef collection or the ultra black collection

Im a fan of vintage, so if I had your budget Id be looking for the 13x series or green striated 146s

If you are looking for modern then I would say the 1912 heritage? If you want something less conspicuous but more than a plain 146, then how about the 146 75th anniversary that has the mother of pearl star.

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Great suggestions everyone! Interestingly, I was just looking at the Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand before I read your post, Tom! Someone had listed it as a purchase from 2017 in another thread, and I love the look.

Quick question: is the lack of an ink window an issue for you Solitaire owners?

I'm not familiar with the "13x" series, can you provide a link?

I think the Unicef Platinum-coated LeGrand also looks quite nice. A nice take on the classic 146. And I especially like the platinum color over gold.

Beautiful motivation by Tom K. I would like to add to the suggestion the "Antoine de Saint-Exupéry" FPen as well as Mb Rouge Et Noir Tropic Brown. Above all - get to handle the pens at a MB Boutique.

Also, for my specific writing needs - journal entries, notes during meetings, etc. - which nib would you recommend? I assume an F or M? Or would it also depend on the model?

I'll most likely use Rhodia journals 90% of the time, so relatively good quality paper.

Hi,

I bought the blue hour le grand this year as well...I think like a month ago or so.

It's a beautiful pen...it's not as "boring" looking as a regular 146 or 149 but still not to flashy :)

I bought it with a M nib and I use it for taking notes and writing journal in a Rhodia Webnotebook...so pretty much your requirements.

The question of nib size is very personal though...I have pens with a B nib size as well and one pen with a F. They all work great...it's really up to your own taste and your handwriting what you prefer.

Do you have a MB Boutique near you? Then you could try out the nib sizes...even if you purchase a M nib, you can still exchange it free of charge later to a B (I think within the first 6 weeks upon purchase).

Only downside is, that the pen has no ink window. But I managed pretty good with it for now...I usually have a backup pen with me.

You might want to check out the JFK Special Edition pen as well.

Or you can just go with a classic...149 or 146. Can't do anything wrong here.

I would go for two pens. A fine or medium (or OM) 149 in platinum, and the other nib size in a special edition writers, moon pearl, blue hour etc, whichever appeals to you.

I do have a MB boutique near me in Prague and also Dubai (I'm currently at home for the holidays in Prague, but will return to Dubai where I work in a week or so)... So I will visit a boutique and test out some pens.

Great advice here, very much appreciated.

I figured out what the 13x series is. And yes, they look fantastic. But for my first MB fountain pen, I think I'll probably stick to a new pen, or at least something that is not too old. But great suggestion, nonetheless.

From what I've seen so far, I'm considering the following:

1 - Tom's excellent suggestion of the Solitaire LeGrand Blue Hour. It looks absolutely stunning, and fits my requirements to a "T". I only hope my local MB boutique has this pen, or at least something similar to test.

2 - The Unicef Resin LeGrand. Seems like a great take on the classic 146. Perhaps more budget friendly for my first pen, and I appreciate the ink window, as well.

3 - Just a classic 146 or 149. Yes, perhaps a bit boring, but I still love the look. I'll need to see them both in person.

The JFK also looks very nice, thanks for the tip. But I'm not a fan of having a pen named after a politician, no matter what his or her ideology may be. Again, I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd rather stick to artists, writers, or musicians, should I select an eponymous pen.

I would go for two pens. A fine or medium (or OM) 149 in platinum, and the other nib size in a special edition writers, moon pearl, blue hour etc, whichever appeals to you.

I can already see something similar happening. :-). I have a bad habit of going "all in" once I get attached to something.

I was thinking of a fine or medium for my daily writer, but a larger nib for personal notes, signing formal documents, etc.

By the way, do MB boutiques offer a discount, similar to high end watch boutiques? Should I ask?

They dont routinely offer discounts, but if you are buying two and they think you might be coming back for more you might be able to squeeze 10-20%

Our Pravda points out nib exchanges are fast at the Dubai boutique as the nibs come there, rather than the pen traveling, so you might want to consider them an option.

Let me suggest you invest in one of the cartridge fillers for your international travel, then go with a piston filler for your daily carry. (Enabler mode) Far easier to toss a box of cartridges in a plastic baggy into your luggage or carryon.

It also gives you an opportunity to have more than one nib size. Standard boring F or M for lousy paper on travel, then something sumptuous and soothing to the hand for extended writing sessions such as a B or larger.

Think about where the threads or any step down to the section might hit your hand. A thicker diameter tends to relax the hand. And you’ll want sufficient length to avoid hand cramps.

Hello and welcome to FPN Prahasaurus :)

Not all the Solitaire series lack an ink window, the Geometric Dimensions for example has one. I guess it depends if its a pen with a metal section or a resin/plastic one.

From the ones mentioned, I personally really like the Blue Hour 146. But only after a good old cannot possibly go wrong 149. It DOES however command a lot of attention with its size and big nib.

As Ghost Plane mentioned, you're in luck when it comes to nib exchanges. You can buy your pen anywhere, even online but when you want to have your nib exchanged go to Dubai Mall. They will have it sent here within 2 weeks. In case you chat them up in the store and make a 'rapport', they'll even let you keep the pen throughout the duration of the wait and install the nib for you onsite.

As for the other store at the Mall of The Emirates, they've got 20% off all resin models all year round. Great for 149/6/solitaires etc. Too bad you didn't purchase before 1st of Jan, starting today there's a 5% VAT ;)

They also have 30% off the Firenze series, its where I got the Moon Pearl at 60% off several months ago. Be a plus to watch this store closely for great deals.