Wing Sung 3007 (Kaweco Sport Inspired)

OCArt

I just stumbled across this compact pen. Don't have one so I can't speak to the quality but it looks interesting as a pocket pen. About $2 on eBay.

fpn_1514763474__ws3007.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• DasKaltblut

• Mech-for-i

• minddance

Hmmm... does look like a Kaweco. What I love about Kaweco is that they have absolutely dependable nibs. Wonder how these are?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

One of the listings have some measurements. Comparing to the lengths that Goulet lists for the Kaweco these are 5mm longer capped and 4mm longer posted

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

so might be they take regular converter ??? might be

.. anyway I have zero interest in the Kaweco and my only piece of the Sport was a a gift from a friend. As pocket pen sure it do its work but if Kaweco would have made them like the vintage Sport with a piston fill it would be a delight, as it is, allowing only cartridge or that not so useful converter ( expensive and hold really only minimal amount of ink, just not the right combo for a EDC ); and more than just sometime inconsistent nib grind its not really tempting. Nor this one either.

But hey different one for different ones

They are slightly longer than the Kaweco but still not really long enough for a converter. Not ideal for eye dropper conversion either as there is a hole at the end of the barrel. Mine actually turned up with a hooded nib.

Got to say that I like it a lot more than my Classic Sport which needed a fair amount of nib tweaking to begin with - Ive had no problems with the 3007 so far, the nib is nicely smooth, and I would say that the plastic used feels nicer - Ive always felt that the Classic Sports plastic feels too soft and, as such, favour the AL-Sport over it.

There used to be short squeeze convertors available, can't find any at the moment though. They were the length of an international cartridge.

Regards

Richard.

Edited to add: may have found it, one of the options in this sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodturning-Pen-Kit-Spares-Ink-Converters-Piston-Squeeze-/302582665943

I have had two Kaweco sport pens and they have both had poor flow so this could be the one although I would like plain black.

Does anyone know of a chinese pen that comes with a broad nib, perhaps .9mm. I know I can swap it out but hoping that I can buy something off the shelf.

I've eyed it too, as I've been considering buying a Kaweco Sport for months now. All the reports about the dryness of the broad nib are quite disconcerting. I haven't seen a broad nib in the auctions for the WS 3007 so I pass until something comes up.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

RoyalBlueNotebooks,

I think you'll find that almost all Chinese pens come with no choice of nib, the size is the size whatever vendors describe it as, and you'll have to swap the nib or do your own nib grind if you want a different size. I may be wrong (as things change almost daily), but I do not know of a mainland China pen (as opposed to Taiwanese) that has a size option.

Regards,

Richard.

Well actually there are indeed nib options but usually its limited to XF / F while specific models might have M or B but they are far and few in between. Most of these newer pen models would not have any such option

Chrisrap52 reviewed this pen on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4MQtgU2RAs&t=109s

He is quite pessimistic regarding the eyedropper filling conversion. The cartridge seems to have specific lips, the body is too short for common converters from (probably) compatible Wing Sung pens (i.e. 3003) and the short converters probably do not fit because of the specific lips. I wonder if there will be another option to deliver ink than refilling the supplied cartridge with a syringe.

Edited by vojtahlad

It seems to use Hero's 2.6mm cartridge socket size, and the "in between" length. These cartridges are quite readily available on eBay and I ended up with dozens of them. The blue ink in those sealed packs, especially marked for the Hero 359 is said to be quite outstanding, but now I am using the generic black.

I recall a member posted his YouTube video on making a squeeze converter for the Kaweco Ice Sport; I suspect it is also possible to do the same here too.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

RoyalBlueNotebooks,

I think you'll find that almost all Chinese pens come with no choice of nib, the size is the size whatever vendors describe it as, and you'll have to swap the nib or do your own nib grind if you want a different size. I may be wrong (as things change almost daily), but I do not know of a mainland China pen (as opposed to Taiwanese) that has a size option.

Regards,

Richard.

I've gleaned this very quickly actually, but since I've started collecting only this year (so I'm very much a beginner) I didn't know if it was my impression or the truth. I'm kind of disappointed to discover that it's the truth. Having a variety of options, including stubs, for a number of Wing Sung pens, would have been extremely interesting.

At least I can turn my incoming WS 698 into a stub by eventually purchasing a Pilot Pluminix and swapping the nib. Sometimes you have to be glad for second-hand manufacturing.

There used to be short squeeze convertors available, can't find any at the moment though. They were the length of an international cartridge.

Regards

Richard.

Edited to add: may have found it, one of the options in this sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodturning-Pen-Kit-Spares-Ink-Converters-Piston-Squeeze-/302582665943

Jet Pens has the squeeze converter.

I have had two Kaweco sport pens and they have both had poor flow so this could be the one although I would like plain black.

Does anyone know of a chinese pen that comes with a broad nib, perhaps .9mm. I know I can swap it out but hoping that I can buy something off the shelf.

Wing Sung 698 comes in a M option. That's all I've found. It's on Ebay, I think it's .7

Edited by DasKaltblut

Jet Pens has the squeeze converter.

I thought it was a widely established truth that the Kaweco Sport queeze converter is a hassle to fill and clean. It doesn't suck up ink and it gets stained very easily. (Source are reviewers here and on blogs, I haven't bought a Kaweco Sport yet).

To the messages above: why would you prefer the converter over the cartridges? It looks like it's going to hold pretty much as much ink as a cartridge, which you can easily refill via syringe.

I would rather find a way to seal the hole in the barrel of this WS 3007 and use it as an eyedropper.

Personally, I'd stick to cartridges, but I can see how somebody who doesn't carry their pen cases with them may find the capacity of the cartridge disconcerting.

I have one of this and I'd give it a miss. The nib is the decent wing sung pilot inspired one, but the body and cap of the pen is made from a kind of plastic that feels like I could crush it between my thumb and forefinger. Also, the grip section is TINY and it has a faceted triangle grip, which at that size is just horrendous.

. Also, the grip section is TINY and it has a faceted triangle grip, which at that size is just horrendous.

That's right, I forgot about that! I'm over triangular grips, so double no thank you. Also hello and welcome!