The Right Blurple Ink

thacky

I have been endlessly searching for the perfect blurple ink.I want an ink that when dry looks blue but is also purplish. I live in an area where there are sadly no pen stores that sell fountain pen ink. I have tried relying on samples shown online but when I receive an ink it is either too blue or too purple. The closest to what I want is Private Reserve Tanzanite. Tanzanite is a shade or two too purple. Does anyone have any suggestions of an ink that is slightly more blue, barely more blue, than Tanzanite?

Inks that I am looking at online are:

J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir(seems too blue in some pictures and too purple in others)

De Atramentis Sapphire(seems close but maybe slightly too blue)

Diamine Imperial Blue(same problem as with pictures of Eclat de Saphir)

Diamine Sapphire Blue(seems too blue in pictures that I have found)

Of course screen color calibration could show the wrong color as my screen has been off with the inks that I have tried which all looked perfect until I got them and used them.

I have tried Private Reserve Cosmic Cobalt(too blue) and Private Reserve Electric DC Blue(too blue), Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao(once again too blue), Private Reserve Tanzanite(close but slightly too purple).

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thacky

• ParkerDuofold

• Chrissy

• migo984

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m enjoying Monteverde Charoite. It’s an exact match for my Blue-Violet Franklin Christoph Model #20 pen.

Verba volant, scripta manent

My 2 cents:

Kaweco royal blue

Diamine imperial blue

De atrementis sapphire blue

Noodlers baystate blue

Sailor nioi-sumire

I hope this helps you in your search. Happy blurple hunting :)

Ultimately no one can help you here and the only thing you can do is either get samples or splurge on bottles. No one can say whether you'll find the inks you listed as perfect or too blue/ purple.

From those you listed I have Diamine Sapphire Blue and Imperial Blue and J Herbin Eclat de Saphir. I can say that Imperial Blue is more puprle than Di Sapphire, and Di Sapphire and Herbin EdS are very similar, to the point that they can look like the very same ink; depending on nib and paper though, because sometimes EdS looked a hint more vibrant and blue whilst Di SB seemed a hint more muted and blurplish (& a touch more saturated than EdS). Imperial & Sapphire have a distinctive musty smell, not really noticeable whilst writing, whereas EdS doesn't really have any major smell.

Keep in mind that nib, paper and surrounding inks play a great role in how a colour is perceived. EdS looks sometimes like a striking, wonderful deep blue, but on other papers and especially with other inks present (that are less purple leaning, or even teal/ green leaning) the very same ink looks positively purple. Colour perception can be quite deceptive.

The inks that you have tried are definitely all not too much on the purplish side, except Asa Gao and PR Tanzanite.

I think the best for you is to order samples and see what tickles your fancy. I'd suggest Sailor Nioi Sumire as well, though I haven't personally tried it (yet), and definitely Herbin EdS & Diamine's Sapphire & Imperial Blue.

Edited by Olya

My favorite Blurple is Kung Te-Cheng, but that only works in my pens with ebonite feeds.

I like Shigure as well, which is more on the purple side of things, and it does lubricate nibs well.

Hello Thacky,

Well, FWIW... the ORIGINAL Blurple came from Richard Binder and was a 50/50 blend of WM Serenity Blue and WM Tender Purple.

I made a batch a while back and liked it... but I've misplaced the bottle... or I'd give you a writing sample, but if you check the ink review section, I think there's a category for it.

Btw, I liked it enough that I plan to make another batch.

Hope this helps. :)

- Anthony

I heard that Monteverde Charoite has an acidic pH. Do you notice any issues to your pen using this ink?

No issues whatsoever. And I’ve used it in a number of different pens.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Quick question, when you mix two inks such as the Watermans, do they separate and need shaking to remix or do they stay blurple?

Hi Thacky,

From my experience,... no. No shaking required after the initial mixing.

- Anthony

ETA: It stays Blurple. :)

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Awesome Ill have to try the ink mixing idea. That way I can get the exact color and not have to settle on something close. By the way for the blue, is it Serenity blue or Mysterious blue? I assume Serenity blue and Tender purple.

Awesome Ill have to try the ink mixing idea. That way I can get the exact color and not have to settle on something close. By the way for the blue, is it Serenity blue or Mysterious blue? I assume Serenity blue and Tender purple.

Yes, it's a 50/50 blend of Serenity, (NOT Mysterious or Inspired), Blue... what used to be called Florida Blue, IIRC... and their only purple ink. :thumbup:

Enjoy. :D

- Anthony

Awesome thanks alot this seems like the perfect solution.

You're welcome, Thacky. :) Enjoy it. :thumbup:

- A.C.

BTW: :W2FPN:

My favourite 'blurple' ink is Diamine Bilberry. :wub:

It may be too purple for you though.

+1

I've found the purple in Bilberry is more noticeable in a broader nib, and in my fine nibs, it's a very dark blue with a hint of mystery... YMMV

Awesome thanks alot this seems like the perfect solution.

This does sound like the perfect solution, since you can alter the mix to suit your taste.

With the Richard Binder Blurple I don’t mix a whole bunch or bottle worth as I like to shift it one way or the other. I’ll use a sample tubes and make a fill for one pen. Can always dump it back in the tube from the pen and adjust. Sometimes you might want more purple or blue. A fun but safe for vintage pens mix.