Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke 2019

RMN

~ While I have no favorites among any of these Montblanc blue inks, there are multiple bottles of several.

• 3 bottles of Montblanc Leo Tolstoy Sky Blue

• 3 bottles of Montblanc Royal Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Miles Davis Jazz Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Homer Greek Blue

• 2 bottles of Montblanc Lapis Lazuli

They're all treasured inks, each with their own charm.

Tom K.

fpn_1568695495__reed_thoughts_blue_inks.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• zaddick

• thygreyt

• NeverTapOut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is a wonderful comparison, Tom. Thank you for taking the time to do that. I have most recently become enamored with the Homer Greek Blue. I have the Tolstoy and, of course, Royal Blue in the stables. The one relatively recent blue ink not displayed above is the Blue Hour (it is the least favorite of my blue inks). Of your display above, I find the Lapis Lazuli very appealing. Thanks again!

Looks like you are ready for Christmas Tom. :)

You have gathered a fair few MB inks to enjoy. Thank you for all the recent comparison photos.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom, you've picked up a lot of lovely inks. The Emerald is especially good. I'm still waiting on my order of blues but it's good to see the Chinese Blue - looks very interesting.

fpn_1568786609__red-hued_inks.jpg

Thanks for that. While I know blue inks are most popular, they've never appealed to me. I am however liking some of these darker and deeper reds. I think I see a burgundy or James Dean in my future.

As to the MixC boutique,it is maybe the nicest I've found in this part of the world. Although I also recommend the one in 1881 in Hong Kong. Smaller perhaps but nicely laid out after the renovation.

Thanks for that. While I know blue inks are most popular, they've never appealed to me. I am however liking some of these darker and deeper reds. I think I see a burgundy or James Dean in my future.

As to the MixC boutique,it is maybe the nicest I've found in this part of the world. Although I also recommend the one in 1881 in Hong Kong. Smaller perhaps but nicely laid out after the renovation.

~ jagwap:

The Montblanc James Dean Rebel Red may be 2019's most unexpected ink on my writing desk.

I had fairly low expectations when I brought it home. How mistaken I was!

Well-behaved, adequately lubricated, a rich hue which dries well without fading — a lovely ink.

My affection for Montblanc Burgundy Red stretches back several years. It's a reliable ink which is suitable for work.

Thank you for the endorsement of the MixC Montblanc Boutique.

It required trial and error to find it, after having visited smaller boutiques.

The sales staff were helpful, even agreeing to take my photo at the boutique entrance.

I appreciate the tip about the 1881 Montblanc Boutique.

In 2019 and probably into 2020 it isn't feasible for me to enter Hong Kong, for reasons best left unstated.

If that reality ever shifts, I'll make a point of visiting the 1881 Montblanc Boutique.

Years ago there were a number of business trips to Hong Kong with life science students.

We'd walk past 1881 on our way to catching the Star Ferry across the harbor to Central.

What I miss most are well-stocked stationery stores (non-Montblanc boutiques) with quality inks and writing paper.

Fortunately, Fritz Schimpf stationers in Tübingen, Germany has been most helpful in shipping such goods to me.

Tom K.

Looks like you are ready for Christmas Tom. :)

You have gathered a fair few MB inks to enjoy. Thank you for all the recent comparison photos.

~ zaddick:

You noticed!

The shades of blue also position me well for Hannukah.

It was the request of Reed_thoughts which inspired me to prepare the ink comparison images.

Tom K.

What a good read! Thanks.

~ meiers:

I'm so glad that you liked it.

Cursive writing is not only a needed hand-eye coordination discipline for students, but also a means of refining aesthetic judgment.

There's much satisfaction when practicing one's penmanship...at any age.

Tom K.

Tom, you've picked up a lot of lovely inks. The Emerald is especially good. I'm still waiting on my order of blues but it's good to see the Chinese Blue - looks very interesting.

~ Uncial:

The helpful staff in the Shenzhen MixC Montblanc Boutique convinced me to acquire Montblanc Emerald.

There's an Ink Bar there. When I expressed interest in Montblanc Emerald, they directed me to the proper bottle, from which I dipped a pen, writing on a large pad.

The rich color wasn't what I'd expected. It appealed to me, so it returned home with me to a place on my writing desk.

Yes, the Chinese Blue is a lovely ink, well worth considering.

I may be biased in saying so, given where I work.

Tom K.

~ jagwap:

The Montblanc James Dean Rebel Red may be 2019's most unexpected ink on my writing desk.

I had fairly low expectations when I brought it home. How mistaken I was!

Well-behaved, adequately lubricated, a rich hue which dries well without fading a lovely ink.

My affection for Montblanc Burgundy Red stretches back several years. It's a reliable ink which is suitable for work.

Thank you for the endorsement of the MixC Montblanc Boutique.

It required trial and error to find it, after having visited smaller boutiques.

The sales staff were helpful, even agreeing to take my photo at the boutique entrance.

I appreciate the tip about the 1881 Montblanc Boutique.

In 2019 and probably into 2020 it isn't feasible for me to enter Hong Kong, for reasons best left unstated.

If that reality ever shifts, I'll make a point of visiting the 1881 Montblanc Boutique.

Years ago there were a number of business trips to Hong Kong with life science students.

We'd walk past 1881 on our way to catching the Star Ferry across the harbor to Central.

What I miss most are well-stocked stationery stores (non-Montblanc boutiques) with quality inks and writing paper.

Fortunately, Fritz Schimpf stationers in Tübingen, Germany has been most helpful in shipping such goods to me.

Tom K.

Well there are several smaller Montblanc stores in Shenzhen. Obviously you found the samll one in Costal City. I saw a burgandy 146 in that one a few years ago. It desperately needed a service, but as a sold as new pen, it would have been within warrantee, along with a nib exchange. I was tempted...

You should also check out the equally small one in the mall directly south of Coco Park. Nothing special, except they occationally have some extraordinary new stock on display. I saw a brand new George Bernard Shaw fountain pen there lasy year. Brand new stock. They also have a surprising selection on Bohemes.

Then there is the medium sized store in Holiday Plaza. They had a Hitchcock on display for years... If only I could find an Einstein.

Unfortunately due to Chinese import duties they are all considerably more expensive than anywhere else in the world. (Yes, China had duties first folks)

Unfortunately due to Chinese import duties they are all considerably more expensive than anywhere else in the world. (Yes, China had duties first folks)

By duties, I meant tariffs. It was early.