• Helen350

• Mech-for-i

• drathbun

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

TWSBI Eco and

Jinhao X450

David A. Naess

Realization of the vastness of one's own ignorance

is the first step on the road to true wisdom.

-- Adi Shankara

Opus 88 Koloro, Blue 0.5 cursive italic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Jinjao X450 w/ Goulet 1.1 stub nib

Jinhao and Baoer same company. FYI I am delighted to see that you are using a famous brand pen namely Baoer,I used to edit the webpages of that company and am delighted to see that they have gained strength in the Market Place over the years by their continued performance and dependability,These pens are made from solid Brass tubing and are so affordable the ideal pen with which to start a Collection,I am proud to have been associated with them,when you are considering which one to buy next Chose either the Abalone or Mother of pearl same pen but the company wanted me to use both names when naming, it will add prestige to your collection.Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

Hero 7032.

Love the nib, any other Hero that have same nib?

Since the original nib is to broad for me, I decided to regrind it and go for stub nib.

post-136742-0-02864300-1525770392_thumb.jpg

Just got in a couple of $1.50 Hero 329 pens from ebay, one F and one M. Inked up the green M pen and with Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris. While being a good writer it's very wet, maybe a little too wet.

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• 2 weeks later...

I want to mention a pen I just received and am using today and also respond to some earlier posts in this thread and the 2017 thread on the same topic.

The new pen is a jumbo Yangtze which is nearly identical to the highly controversial Wing Sung 590. It cost $1.42 or about one-third the cost of the WS. The few posts I have seen about it are consistent: decent medium nib. Posts about the WS are all over the place, from rave reviews to dismissals as total junk. My Yangtze is consistent with previous posts and my WS with the rave reviews. My WS does have one of the faults people complain about -- it stinks! It was pretty overwhelming when new but is now not that noticeable unless you sniff the ink sac. The Yangtze arrived in that smell-muted condition. Another difference is that the cap on the Yangtze slides much farther down on the barrel when posted. I compared it to the similar looking Sheaffer No Nonsense pen and the Yangtze is about an inch (25mm) longer closed but only about an eighth of an inch (3mm) longer posted. It is significantly fatter than the Sheaffer. Both Chinese pens look like they have been around for some time. The most obvious difference in appearance is a red "jewel" on the Yangtze that has all the sparkle of a gum drop. I also note that the cap on the Yangtze is hard to get started when I try to screw it to the barrel, goes hard once started, then easy, then hard again at the end of its travel. Just considering my two pens, I think the WS is much nicer, but combining reports from others I expect you would get a Yangtze much like mine but if you order a WS it could be much nicer -- or much worse. It will probably stink literally, and possibly figuratively as well.

On whether any Chinese pens copied Waterman models, I think the Hero 7032 looks a bit like an Expert, and the Jinhao X450 and 750, with their cigar shape, marbled colors, and big, wet nibs, resemble the original Phileas.

On other Hero pens with the same nib as the 7032, check the Sonnet clone 1502.

been too busy on work for a while ; but finally get around to get some time off and start a new inking - Hero 616 small size, upgraded with a gold plated clip from late ver. 616-2, and an aftermarket wood barrel , nib had been replaced with a custom grind M

40416268110_218af45c9c_k.jpgHero 616 small upgraded, on Flickr

Bob, I am thinking of purchasing a Wing Sung 590 because of its size. I had one quite a while back, and as I recall had put a different nib in it. It wasn't hard to do.

If you have one on hand, could you tell me the barrel measurments? If it's around 0.5" in circumference that would seal the deal for me.

I'm guessing you want the diameter which is a bit more than half an inch -- about 9/16" -- right where it meets the cap when closed. The Yangtze is the same.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

I have bad arthritis in my writing hand and need larger pens.

Slim pens cause me a lot of discomfort.

Thanks again,

Doug

tVjS4VU.jpgy50K3Im.jpg

I've still got my trusty Baoer 388, an "almost every day" pen for me. Loaded with Organic Studios Ralph Waldo Emerson Twilight Blue.

Writes well with the original nib, nice simple design, great for inks with sheen or shading as I'd say it's more of a wet writer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Moonman Wancai, which has unexpectedly been holding my interest quite as steadily as the Sailor Pro Gear Slim that arrived at the same time. I like everything about it so far – feel, look, size, build, nib.

This afternoon I also inked up a Wing Sung 9059 (essentially just to try out some Rohrer & Klinger Verdigris), and was surprised by how smooth it writes and how comfortable it feels in my hand.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

OASO S10833, a student pen pretty much fashioned and build similar as Platinum Preppy, including flimsy barrel / cap, but an OK no.5 nib ..

fpn_1530193886__oaso-s10833.jpg

Edited by Mech-for-i

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...