The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hello From London

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 JSAlberts

JSAlberts

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:22

Hello everyone!

My names James, I live in London, working within the exciting world of accountancy. 

I've always been interested in pens; however, recently I've taken this interest further after receiving a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Le Grand fountain pen as a present from work and I subsequently purchased a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Classique ballpoint.

The only problem is my handwriting is rather poor. Does anyone have any resources they can share on improving? I'm going to have a read through the 'Handwriting' section on this forum but if anyone has any personal recommendations that would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for reading - I'm looking forward to becoming part of the FPN community! 

Edited by JSAlberts, 30 December 2017 - 10:29.

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:18

Hello James and welcome to FPN.  :W2FPN:​ 

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,390 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:20

Greetings and welcome to FPN.
Khan

#4 Ardbeg

Ardbeg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:20

If your company is giving away Le Grands, I am changing my opinion, accounting /is/ exciting! ;-)

Welcome from another newbie here. I am also looking forward to improving my penmanship.

#5 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,152 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:14

Welcome home.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#6 South

South

Where's my ink.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 14:23

Welcome to FPN, pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable  :) 

For handwriting, look at differet styles, and pick the one you like.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

#7 tbickiii

tbickiii

tbickiii

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 14:42

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

#8 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,579 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 18:36

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#9 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 18:49

Welcome to our little corner of the universe from a pen user in San Diego. 

#10 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 23:59

Welcome aboard, James, from Charleston, South Carolina. When I wanted to improve my handwriting, I watched some instructional videos on YouTube, and wrote down suggestions and practiced a bit. In the meantime, I bought a workbook on Amazon called Write Now by authors Getty & Dubay, on a reccomemdation from this website, which teaches cursive italic handwriting, which I’ve enjoyed quite a bit. Other things which helped significantly, were learning proper size and spacing of letters (the Getty and Dubay booked helped me learn this).
Another helpful thing, was that I paid attention to words which I consistently wrote poorly or found hard to write legibly for one reason or another. I collected these words, and used them to create a practice page of words difficult for me. Then, I used that page for my daily practice when I had satisfactorily mastered the Getty and Dubay practices. This alone really improved my writing, as I got plenty of practice writing the words that were the hardest for me. I continue to add words, and related words. For example, words with double g ( like “aggregate” and “aggravate”) or words beginning with “axo-“ like axle, axon, axonal, axiomatic. I believe there was a topic ousted somewhere on this website entitled something like Difficult Words, which gave me a list of other words difficult to write (like “manumission” and “Mississippi”) . Most improvement came with practicing daily for about half an hour. I hope this helps. If I can locate the posting about Difficult Words, I’ll try to link it here. Good luck.
Mike

#11 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

• Member - Gold

• 1,223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 00:08

James, try a search for a topic called Difficult Words Practice Senteces-this has quite a few posts of sentences and phrases with practice words.

Edited by Herrjaeger, 31 December 2017 - 00:10.

#12 JSAlberts

JSAlberts

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:45

Welcome aboard, James, from Charleston, South Carolina. When I wanted to improve my handwriting, I watched some instructional videos on YouTube, and wrote down suggestions and practiced a bit. In the meantime, I bought a workbook on Amazon called Write Now by authors Getty & Dubay, on a reccomemdation from this website, which teaches cursive italic handwriting, which I’ve enjoyed quite a bit. Other things which helped significantly, were learning proper size and spacing of letters (the Getty and Dubay booked helped me learn this).
Another helpful thing, was that I paid attention to words which I consistently wrote poorly or found hard to write legibly for one reason or another. I collected these words, and used them to create a practice page of words difficult for me. Then, I used that page for my daily practice when I had satisfactorily mastered the Getty and Dubay practices. This alone really improved my writing, as I got plenty of practice writing the words that were the hardest for me. I continue to add words, and related words. For example, words with double g ( like “aggregate” and “aggravate”) or words beginning with “axo-“ like axle, axon, axonal, axiomatic. I believe there was a topic ousted somewhere on this website entitled something like Difficult Words, which gave me a list of other words difficult to write (like “manumission” and “Mississippi”) . Most improvement came with practicing daily for about half an hour. I hope this helps. If I can locate the posting about Difficult Words, I’ll try to link it here. Good luck.
Mike

Thank you Mike, its great to hear your advice from across the pond. I'll have a look into the resources you mentioned!

#13 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 821 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 17:51

Pop along on Sat. 6th January to the Bierschenke, downstairs, 12.00 onwards and get the opinions from the other accountants/ auditors who infect the place. Oh yes, and bring your pens or you will receive a frosty reception from the accountants/ auditors and the others!

http://bierschenke.co.uk/

Edited by peterg, 31 December 2017 - 18:08.

#14 Maine Vintner

Maine Vintner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 18:10

Hi James,

Welcome to FPN. This is a great community with so much to offer; glad you decided to dip in!

I think the suggestions from Mike are outstanding; the only think I would add is don't be too hard on yourself. While we all can always improve our handwriting I feel just the act of committing words to paper to be a wonderful exercise for my brain.

Happy New Year!

#15 Maine Vintner

Maine Vintner

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 18:11

Pop along on Sat. 6th January to the Bierschenke, downstairs, 12.00 onwards and get the opinions from the other accountants/ auditors who infect the place. Oh yes, and bring your pens or you will receive a frosty reception from the accountants/ auditors and the others!
http://bierschenke.co.uk/

I travel to London from Boston 5-6 times a year; how often do you folks meet?

Best regards,
John

#16 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 18:11

Hi James  :W2FPN:

#17 dapprman

dapprman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 18:15

I travel to London from Boston 5-6 times a year; how often do you folks meet?

Best regards,
John

First Saturday of every month.  Location is the same except for October due to the London Writing Equipment Show.  Details can be found here.

#18 Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

Bisquitlips

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,464 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:54

Welcome!  Glad you are with us!

#19 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,419 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 22:44

Welcome, James !  

There is no substitute for practice.  Slow your writing, and concentrate on shaping each character, as you wish it to appear. 

Find reasons/excuses to write -- personal notes, shopping lists, letters to friends and family, start a journal.  If you encounter a character, that you prefer to your own, adopt it into your own writing.  Writing slowly and larger is always good.  

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#20 FinScherlis

FinScherlis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 00:14

Hello and welcome!

Sponsored Content