The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2017 Retospective

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:51

lovely green! what is it??

fpn_1514713880__img_3511.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Sponsored Content

#22 barriep

barriep

barriep

• Member - Gold

• 1,241 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:51

I sold a lot more pens than I bought this year, trying to slim down my collection and focus more. But then I was not supposed to buy any pens but gave in to temptation: a 1930s Waterman Lady Patricia sterling "Bayleaf" was my most expensive buy; I have the full size Bayleaf set and could not resist adding the "child". My favourite buy was a Pilot Ultra 500 c1959, a "click" filler only made for a short time. It needed restoring - a new sac - but it writes so smoothly that I have had it inked continuously.

Other purchases were four more Pilot pens from the 1950s to 70s and filling gaps in my Parker 1950s-70s collection, a black 41 with the enamel cap, a 45 in solid white and yellow gold (I really should have resisted buying this but it is beautiful) and two Parker Falcon flighters, which I think are greatly under-rated, a perfect modern design.

I sold quite a few pens that I loved but they went to good new collector homes.

Barriep

16440848341_bf073036dc_t.jpg

#23 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:07

2017 was a nice year. I met a new girlfriend, we moved in together, and I finally managed to complete all my remaining university courses.

With regards to pens, I didn't buy so many, but still more than I actually needed.

• Esterbrook J, blue transitional model with 9550 nib, because you can't go wrong with an Esterbrook. I didn't need it, but liked the color a lot, so decided to get it! It works well and I use it often, it's a really very nice pen in good condition. The 9550 was unfortunately destroyed, but I managed to get a new one from a nice FPN member.
  • Lamy Aion, black with EF nib: this is actually a great pen, but its EF nib is about twice the width of what I would prefer. So I wanted to like it, but ended up not using it much. Now I'm cleaning the pen thoroughly and selling it to someone who likes Lamy nibs. Now at least I know I don't like modern western EF nibs, and have whined about them in some topics. :D
  • Pilot Elite 95S, burgundy with yes, you guessed it, EF nib: my first Japanese pen, finally something that writes with a very-very fine line. I'm still in the process of "breaking in" the nib on this one, but it's very much what I hoped for.

Also started to give away some pens that I don't actually use anymore:

• Parker Jotter, which has been collecting dust for too long, was given away
  • "Saffer" vintage Italian (or Spanish) school pen: the givaway is still open if you guys are interested.

In early 2018, I also plan to sell and/or give away more pens that just sit here unused. That includes a beat-up Parker 51 whose filling system I fixed, but don't like its broad point, a Parker 61 that is great but I don't use it for fear of breaking it, and a Pilot Parallel which I don't enjoy as much as I had thought. (The parallel plate "nib" is cool, but I'm not a pro calligrapher and can't use it well.) Then I'm thinking of getting a Parker 51 in good condition that I would actually use (F or EF), and a Parker Vacumatic, because it looks very cool and interesting.

I wish everyone a happy 2018!

Edited by Venemo, 31 December 2017 - 11:07.

#24 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,192 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 15:24

Catch and release? Am I in TZ?? Oh, now I see, its whichwatch! :-)

- Marc

It does carry over, doesn't it?  Old habits die hard!  Much cheaper in pens, though!  :-)

#25 fphilipp

fphilipp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 16:51

My harvest and that of some other FPN members can be seen here; http://www.fountainp...view=getnewpost

Edited by fphilipp, 31 December 2017 - 16:52.

#26 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 19:34

Looking back at the entire year of 2017, what all pens did you purchase?
( not counting other writing necessities like ink, paper, leather cases or covers, nibs and other accessories)
I purchased the following:
1- Modern Parker Duofold black & Pearl with #98 Fine Italic nib
From ebay
2- Desiderata Daedalus pen
3- Lamy 2000 Black Amber with B nib
From ebay (I got it for a steal)
4- Parker Duofold International Black w/ #94 Medium Italic nib and Harvard University medallion on the cap finial.
From ebay (after haggling the price down some)
5- Pelikan M215 Blue Stripe (rare)
From Teri @ Peyton Street Pens
6- Noodlers Boston Safety pen
Pre-order as of now, so maybe this one doesnt count.
I went on a crazy binge for empty ink bottles, montblanc shoe bottles, Lamy bottles, as well as some vintage bottles, but that was a short burst of purchasing.

Ha! I did the same bottle thing.

As for purchases, there is now an official pen, ink and paper embargo here. But before that, I got:

1. A Lamy 2000 EF which has been inked with Sailor Souten ever since its purchase

2. A Platinum 3776 B Chartres Blue that I've tried with six inks and haven't liked a single one

3. A 'Cotton Candy' Kaweco Perkeo M, that fell in love with Iroshizuku Kiri-Same ink

I did get a couple of notebooks. But that's it for a lonnnnnngggggg time.

Happy NYE!

#27 PaperDarts

PaperDarts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 19:56

I had a very restrained year - bought only two pens for my own use, a silver-blue Kawico AL Sport, and a lilac Platinum Plaisir.

I also bought a blue Lamy Al-Star and two Lamy Safari pens (red and black) to keep in case of new FP convert sightings. 

I suspect 2018 will be a bit more expensive. 

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

#28 flipper_gv

flipper_gv

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 20:23

I bought:

- Sheaffer Balance 1000, best nib I own.

- Cross Townsend in green marbled from the 90's for 75 CAD

- Sailor Professional Gear in mocha from Wancher

- Montegrappa Desiderio from Chatterley for an absurd price.

Great year, also sold a bunch of pens I had laying around. I plan the next pen to be my last as I want to stop accumulating. Most likely will be an Extra 1930.

#29 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2018 - 20:03

Too many, my Paypal account keeps reminding me everyday!

Two that stick out however are a Platinum 3776 and a Wing Sung 698, both great writers I enjoy using immensely.

I am already wondering what the answer to the same question will be at the end of 2018.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

#30 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:42

I discovered dip pens.
There is no hope.

#31 chromantic

chromantic

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 19:41

I went from owning one 'nice' Pelikan - an M150 - to, now, 20 M-series and one 140.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

#32 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,569 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 22:23

For 2017 I sold, traded or gave away 11 pens and one bottle of ink

I purchased or traded for 4, new to me, pens and one bottle of ink. Also had one Binde replaced and 2 nibs ground.

My new to me pens were:

Pelikan M400 vintage tortoise

Pelikan M1000 green stripe which got a Newton blue lizard binde and a Masuyama grind

MontBlanc 149 which also got a Masuyama grind

Visconti Ti Skelton LE

My new ink was Kobe Seaside Blue

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#33 JakobS

JakobS

Far From the Madding Crowd

• Member - Gold

• 1,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 22:26

The last couple years I have slowed down purchasing many pens, perhaps 1-2 per year, mostly focusing on inks which number 60 or so now. I did end up with three pens this year though:

2 Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxes with medium nibs in blue and burgundy
1 Esterbrook J in foliage green

I usually go for Dollars or some newer or older models when it comes to Esterbrooks, but the green was especially nice in this pen so I went for it. Looks nice matched with Diamine Macassar.

You would think this is a sign of increasing pen purchases to come, but being an user, I just have one pen lined up for 2018, a mix of everything I have come to want over ten years of really using fountain pens, and after that I will be focused on using up all this ink that made its way to me!
FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!For Sale: TBA

#34 GoldenNibs

GoldenNibs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:41

Im sorta new to fountain pens as an actual collecting hobby. I started buying them at flea markets about two years ago to flip on ebay but after doing it so much and learning about them I would keep one or two out of large lots I bought and now I have a small collection growing of them. Now I repair them and I am still learning so I can take on more difficult repairs such as vac fillers and vacumatics. This year I found a lot because I still buy large amounts at the flea market to resell but ones I that I ended up keeping for my self were a Waterman 52 red ripple, Parker Duofold Big Red senior, Aiken Lambert Capitol Cabinet, Waterman 12 1/2 V eyedropper, Aurora Sterling Silver cartridge filler, Morrison The Patriot, Parker 51 First Year double jewel with a gf cap, Eagle Pencil Co. in Mandarin Yellow, Navy Blue Skyline, Waterman 13 eyedropper, and various third tier pens in funky colors. However I sold a lot too and have a lot in my repair pile and to be sold pile. You cant keep all of them. Unfortunately, Its becoming harder to find them at the markets because there are several other people that buy them that I have to compete against and they are the type that dont care at all about the pens, dont work on them, or collect them.

I hope 2018 brings me more pens and more pens to fix. I also hope to achieve knowledge about the repair of harder to repair pens and possibly nib repair. I would also love to find a solid gold Eversharp Skyline of Fifth Avenue.

Edited by GoldenNibs, 03 January 2018 - 04:43.

#35 240KAR

240KAR

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Location:Columbus, OH or Murfreesboro, TN or Fayetteville, AR
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 15:46

I love and hate this topic. I haven't purchased any pens for years and recently I got the bug again and went crazy. 

Here is my 2017 Purchase List:

1. 1942 Parker 51 Black with colored diamond F

2. Kaweco Sport Classic Red EF

3. Kaweco AL Sport Stonewashed Blue EF

4. Pelikan M200 Blue Marble EF

5. Pelikan M200 Smokey Quartz EF and Italic

6. TWSBI 580AL EF, F, and 1.5 Stub

7. Platinum Century 3776 Blue F

8. Lamy 2000 Stainless Steel EF

9. Newton Shinobi (On The Waiting List) .5mm Cursive Italic Visconti Two-Tone 23kt dreamtouch Nib.

10. Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black EF

11. Visconti London Fog EF

12. Visconti London Fog M (For Sale)

As I said I went a little crazy.. 

#36 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 20:50

... My Kaweco is the only pen I regret buying, because although it has a cute design and is not a very expensive pen, its nib isn't even as good as the nib on a pen costing a fraction of its price!  Someone adjusted it for me, but still...  Are the 14K Kaweco nibs significantly better than the steel ones?  

Their gold nibs are not exactly better, just different.

Kaweco's 14K nibs (made by Bock) tend to have more tipping material on them,  which makes them better candidates for italic customization (stubbing).   A good part of the customization process will most likely have to be "tuning" or modifying the balky Bock 060 feed system. 

Once that's accomplished, these nib units can become absolutely wonderful writers.

I have used Pendleton Brown to do the nib work on my Kaweco interchangeable nibs.  He has a knack for improving the cranky 060 feeds.  Pendleton's nib grinding & adjusting is first rate. 

I highly recommend his services.  Here are two examples of his work.

[attachment=422592:b-bb-1.jpg]

I am sure that Kaweco's stainless steel nib units would also benefit from the above treatment.  The only reason I chose gold nibs is because I happen like the look of this yellow metal, not necessarily because it's superior to steel. 

The tipping on the stainless steel units are smaller in size for each of the nib grades (ie: BB,B, M....).  How the nibs are ground will depend on which nib technician you decide to use.  There are some good new ones out there.

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#37 MDGColorado

MDGColorado

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 22:48

Seeing as I only started buying these things in late '16, here's the whole collection, chronologically:

1. Lamy Safari, F nib. Changed to 1.1 stub, which I like better.

2. TWSBI 580, M nib. Later changed to F which seems toothier. 

3. TWSBI ECO, 1.1 stub. 

4. Platinum 3776 SF in bourgogne. My best pen, but it's a pretty narrow nib for me, and I keep wanting to sell it and get an M nib. Let's face it, l probably won't sell it and get an M anyway  :rolleyes: . 

5. Lamy AL-Star, EF, Pacific blue. (I wish they still had that copper orange color).

Next purchase: something to keep inked with a water-resistant ink. 3776 in M? Pilot Custom 91? 

#38 tinta

tinta

euzin kút

• Member - Gold

• 2,610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 22:58

Seeing as I only started buying these things in late '16, here's the whole collection, chronologically:

1. Lamy Safari, F nib. Changed to 1.1 stub, which I like better.

2. TWSBI 580, M nib. Later changed to F which seems toothier. 

3. TWSBI ECO, 1.1 stub. 

4. Platinum 3776 SF in bourgogne. My best pen, but it's a pretty narrow nib for me, and I keep wanting to sell it and get an M nib. Let's face it, l probably won't sell it and get an M anyway  :rolleyes: . 

5. Lamy AL-Star, EF, Pacific blue. (I wish they still had that copper orange color).

Next purchase: something to keep inked with a water-resistant ink. 3776 in M? Pilot Custom 91? 

:W2FPN:

Sailor 1911 Standards (14c nibs): *Black/gold, 0.8 mm. stub *Burgundy/gold, 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI & 1.1 mm. CI, *Sailor Profit Standards: Brown & Red Marbled Mozaiques, (machined acrylic/rhodium), 1.0 mm.CI & 0.8 mm. stub *Kaweco Dia2 14c M,B,BB 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, 1.0 mm. (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput 14c 0.6 stub * Montblanc 254, 14c BB flügelfeder factory stub

#39 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,292 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:32

Their gold nibs are not exactly better, just different.

Kaweco's 14K nibs (made by Bock) tend to have more tipping material on them,  which makes them better candidates for italic customization (stubbing).   A good part of the customization process will most likely have to be "tuning" or modifying the balky Bock 060 feed system. 

Once that's accomplished, these nib units can become absolutely wonderful writers.

I have used Pendleton Brown to do the nib work on my Kaweco interchangeable nibs.  He has a knack for improving the cranky 060 feeds.  Pendleton's nib grinding & adjusting is first rate. 

I highly recommend his services.  Here are two examples of his work.

attachicon.gifb-bb-1.jpg

I am sure that Kaweco's stainless steel nib units would also benefit from the above treatment.  The only reason I chose gold nibs is because I happen like the look of this yellow metal, not necessarily because it's superior to steel. 

The tipping on the stainless steel units are smaller in size for each of the nib grades (ie: BB,B, M....).  How the nibs are ground will depend on which nib technician you decide to use.  There are some good new ones out there.

Thank you so much for your advice!

#40 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:19

It came as a bit of a surprise to me.

I felt I had plateaued on my pen acquisitions until I sat down and went through all my 2017 purchases to find out that I had bought 6 pens which is quite high by my original approximation.

Sponsored Content

|