For Those Who Hate Montblanc....why? Just Curious...

james3paris

Don't know, but I'd definitely steer clear of the limited edition one with the gold sparkles.

I don't think you have to worry... I've heard they're already sold out of it and won't be offering any more. :wallbash:

- Anthony

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• Bluey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which is safer for vintage pens, Marmite, or Vegemite? Any experience with shading?

Hi Mike,

This leads me to believe the shading with Vegemite would be better...

https://youtu.be/am6fco14Gi0

Hope this helps sort it out. :)

- Anthony

Hey there, all,

What's the difference between Marmite and Vegemite?

English and Australian.

Keeping strictly to topic to placate OMASsimo, you can read an "ink" comparison here. :)

eta: they quote wrongly the lyric from "Land Down Under". It is He, not She.

Edited by praxim

X

Hi Mike,

This leads me to believe the shading with Vegemite would be better...

https://youtu.be/am6fco14Gi0

Hope this helps sort it out. :)

- Anthony

Hi Anthony

There is scientically developed test to see if you like Marmite, you have to pass this test:

https://tasteface.marmite.co.uk/

There is also a test to see if you like Montblancs, you have to pass this:

English and Australian.

Keeping strictly to topic to placate OMASsimo, you can read an "ink" comparison here. :)

So which does Akkerman sell? I’m guessing it might be called Gistplakken or Zuyderzee modder. If called SBRE Marmite, I’m guessing it would sell out instantly.

I don't hate Montblancs. Just think the non-fountain ones are too commonplace, like if Rolex made and sold quartz watches. It cheapens the brand for me, but they make billions with this market approach. Smart business.

Edited by marcelo

Well, MB is like Rolex in the world of watch, but Rolex is no PP.

I think MB equals Rolex when it comes to fountain pens, but Rolex does not make and sell quartz watches, and MB non-fountain pens are like quartz watches to me - reliable, but souless.

Edited by marcelo

I think MB equals Rolex when it comes to fountain pens, but Rolex does not make and sell quartz watches, and MB non-fountain pens are like quartz watches to me - reliable, but souless.

Actually, Rolex did make quartz watches. The Oysterquartz is one of the most sought watches by collectors...

(But it's no RDM, Marcelo!)

@ Parker Duofold -- I don't even want to ask where you found that video, but it's hilarious!

@ Beechwood -- That "test" is even funnier than the video!

@ Herrjaeger -- "SRBE Marmite"? :lticaptd:

A friend of ours went on a trip to Australia with her boyfriend, and actually asked for Vegemite someplace. And the shocked response was "But... but... you're AMERICAN!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

English and Australian.

<snip>

Ah, thanks Praxim.

This is true:

http://youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s

And if there are any weirdos out there who don't like this song; they can advance to 1:10. :)

- Anthony

Hi Anthony

There is scientically developed test to see if you like Marmite, you have to pass this test:

https://tasteface.marmite.co.uk/

There is also a test to see if you like Montblancs, you have to pass this:

:lticaptd:

:lticaptd:

- Anthony

From a marketing standpoint: A MB definitely equals a Rolex, (know the Jewelry and watch BIZ pretty dang well.)

And yeah..................

Both make their own "hearts", (movements and nibs), and yeah.....

.... Both had heritage ....

And both lost a little bit or A LOT according to some people...

And yeah...

According to some people a Japanese pen can give ya betta results for less $$...

(Grand Seiko, Pilot Custom 823.)

But........

People who know everything and nothing know about 'em.

Hope ya had a happy new year and God Bless Marketing....

Al.

I used to sniff haughtily at the snowcap, until I tried a vintage one: I immediately saw what all the hubbub was about. I own maybe eight vintage Montblanc now, none of which cost me more than US$200, most of which were average $125. My early 264 will go into the fire of Valhalla with me. You don't have to forgo your child's education to own a good writing pen.

That being said, I don't think you get even close to what you pay for in a modern Montblanc. The brand has become a lifestyle choice though, with $300 belts and the like. Do I look down on someone who likes them? Not at all, variety is the spice of life and what a boring old world it would be if we all liked the same things.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Hate might be too harsh a wording but having negative view upon the brand and product certainly and this from a person who actually own and regularly use a number of Montblanc.

Montblanc is sort of like Leica , Rolls Royce, and plenty of the so call top end brand who market on history mamesake and sentiment rather than substance. Are they really low in quality. Well mo but certainly not what their price reflect and no less the result they produce and in most cases others do it better at much more rational price. RR might still call it by the service it provide on top of the car but Montblanc .. Questionable at best. I have Hero doing a better customer service than Montblanc do these days.

Let's be real if I want a quality fountain pen and had the money to burn why Montblanc its a fashion avcessories first; nothing wrong with that there are many who would love to show off with the latest and dearest of them all. Me I just want a quality pen; and I fail to see the value in many of todays Montblanc or Visconti or ... You can add your own here

I used to sniff haughtily at the snowcap, until I tried a vintage one: I immediately saw what all the hubbub was about. I own maybe eight vintage Montblanc now, none of which cost me more than US$200, most of which were average $125. My early 264 will go into the fire of Valhalla with me. You don't have to forgo your child's education to own a good writing pen.

That being said, I don't think you get even close to what you pay for in a modern Montblanc. The brand has become a lifestyle choice though, with $300 belts and the like. Do I look down on someone who likes them? Not at all, variety is the spice of life and what a boring old world it would be if we all liked the same things.

Vintage is always going to be better. It's like what I mentioned earlier than one needs to always consider the business market aspects of a brand to understand whether a brand is quality or not. In the olden days the primary purpose of a pen was to write so as a business owner you are going to focus on that because it's what your customer wants.

In the olden days for Montblanc, they were making pens as writers along with most other brands. Nowadays, Montblanc are status symbols, ornaments, jewellery, fashion statements. They are not writing instruments now, so there is no need for MB to devote any resources to make them great writers (why would any CEO waste their time and money when it's not important to the majority of their customers?).

If a company is making pens for people that write with them(ie vintage, Japanese, Chinese, and other Eastern), they will be good writers. If they are making them as jewellery and ornaments as most Western brands are, then they will be hit and miss. That's the only equation that's relevant.

Leading brands need to perform as well as to market, or they will lose that cachet very quickly.

I have omitted another 260 words intended to provide context and examples. It is obvious enough.

X

Actually, Rolex did make quartz watches. The Oysterquartz is one of the most sought watches by collectors...

(But it's no RDM, Marcelo!)

HAHAHA!!! Good one. :)

But I meant about nowadays. ;)

Best!

Edited by marcelo

Whether we like it or not some brands that we use will send out the message to other consumers that the advertisers intend. Montblanc is one of those such brands. If we are looking for a reliable pen that lays down ink in a satisfactory way then there are many pen makers out there. If we wish to say something about our social aspirations, our target lifestyle and lets face it the total submission to the advertisers master plan ;-) we buy a brand that achieves that goal.

That said there will always be enthusiasts of certain brands regardless of that brand's associations and to those people I imagine they respect the collector of Bic biros just as much as any other.

None of us want to admit that we buy a brand to be associated with a certain clique but I will admit that I am probably an inverted snob and would never carry a MB or own a BMW (at least not in the UK) simply because of my distaste for it's social connotations. In the pen enthusiasts world that is a lame reason and possibly just as bad as buying a pen simply to appear to be associated with a certain level of society. I agree, but we are are human after all :-)

In the olden days for Montblanc, they were making pens as writers along with most other brands. Nowadays, Montblanc are status symbols, ornaments, jewellery, fashion statements. They are not writing instruments now, so there is no need for MB to devote any resources to make them great writers (why would any CEO waste their time and money when it's not important to the majority of their customers?).

I have to disagree. I tested a modern MB in the "one pen one month" challenge back in August to see if this this status symbol vs writing instrument theory held any water, and the MB made an excellent everyday writer.

If you use your MB regularly - after two weeks the ink flow is nearly perfect, and after a year the nib on my (second hand) 146 has grown on me. Much like the Lamy 2K, or the Platinum #3776 in my collection - these pens seem to make the best writers, as they seem to pretty much write straight away.