Wahl doric vac/plunger filler repair

cuteline

Hi friends, does anyone know where to find some systematic explanation about hte plunger filler repair? I understand that the system should work identically as Sheaffer's vac-filler, and Richard Binder's site has a detailed description. But Richard also mentioned that there are some minor differences in parts arrangement. For example, if I need to replace the packing unit near the blind cap, do those sold by David Nishimura for Sheaffer's work as well? Do I need to drill something out?

Thanks for helps.

Jun

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cuteline

• RichKen

• Wahlnut

• Vintagepens

Top Posters In This Topic

You might find this thread useful. My experience working on a Doric plunger filler for the first time.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=28095

The Wahlnut, our FPN WE moderator, is also an excellent resource. As you can see in the thread he helped me from the "git go".

I used a Fr. Terry type washer from Victor Chen to augment the filler unit in order to avoid tampering with the original packing. The washers are available in Doric sizes.

This pen required more knowledge to reassemble than the Sheaffer vacs I tried. They are a bit trickier requiring subtle adjustments. Good luck.

Another Richard - Not the Richard

Richard, thanks. I have dissembled everything successfully. The only thing that is not clear is whether the packing unit of my pen still works --- it seems that there is some friction there. Do you know where to get the washer you mentioned? Also, what is the size of the rubber gasket used at the front of the plunger for pushing out the air?

Jun

Richard, thanks. I have dissembled everything successfully. The only thing that is not clear is whether the packing unit of my pen still works --- it seems that there is some friction there. Do you know where to get the washer you mentioned? Also, what is the size of the rubber gasket used at the front of the plunger for pushing out the air?

Jun

Doric gaskets are available in two sizes .320 " and .365" - your pen will dictate which is required.

Here is what I ordered from Victor Chen

Email him <vwchen@pacbell.net> to confirm availability.

Ask to confirm that the following is available:

Washers:

Eversharp Part X-15 (.320")

Eversharp Part X-19 (.365")

Gaskets:

Eversharp Fill packing unit gasket X-15-2

Eversharp Fill packing unit gasket X-19-2

Request a Fr. Terry catalog

and order Booklet on Sheaffer Repair (similar to doric approach.) part "QQ"

Prices are quite reasonable.

Alternately check with:

Syd The Wahlnut

Pensbury Manor

Specializing in Vintage Wahl-Eversharp Pens

www.pensburymanor.com

Standard disclaimer - not affiliated just a pleased customer of both.

Thanks again! I know Syd, and he is a really nice man!

I have just retested my pen and its packing unit still works well. I used a trick Syd taught me during the past LA pen show to cut from a inner tube of a bicycle tire a small gasket. It works beautifually -- except that the circle I cutted was not too round, which did not seem to affect the function too much.

Jun

I'm really not a fan of the supplementary internal plugs -- and though I believe he sells them, Victor Chen isn't, either.

For many years I would not sell plunger-fillers to retail buyers, simply because experience had taught me that existing repair methods weren't reliable enough. No good selling a pen only to have it come back again, and again, and again. Nonetheless, I continued to experiment on my own pens, and shared tips with others similarly inclined. At this point, I think we're over the hump. Repair techniques for plunger-fillers will continue to improve, but what we've got now makes a repaired pen essentially as good or better than new -- and definitely reliable enough for retail sale to ordinary users.

I don't want to violate board policy by turning this into an advertisement, but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that inner tubes are a very poor makeshift for piston seal washers when urethane sheet is available, and that stiff rubber washers jammed into the barrel don't work nearly as well as drilling out the packing unit from the inside and repacking it with something a little better adapted to the purpose.

Plunger-filler repair article

Of course David is absolutely correct when he points out that modern materials are far superior to the materials that were available "back in the day." And therein lies an interesting divergence related to "originality"...putting things back the way they were versus "improving them". If one wants to puth things back to the materials that were used when the pens were made Sheet rubber is authentic, and a little hard to find in the right thickness "in the wild". And there are various compounds of rubber...now don't laugh, but inner tubes have a nice graphite compound pretty similar to original pen gaskets. So for the casual hobbyist repair person who wants to punch out gaskets for their Doric plunger filler using David's/Vintage Pen's (now there's a plug, so be kind) punch sets, one could do worse. But if you want to give your plunger fill the best possible material for new gaskets, by all means go for the new material at the cost per gasket a sheet of the urethane is very cost effective. I am ordering a sheet of the Urethane for myself soon.

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens