The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ebay Money Back Guarantee Scam

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 16:50

Sadly happens a lot. Maybe not as much with other products but with collectible cards its a big thing. Some people traded for and got a fake then they feel ripped so they pull that scam, some just order from china and turn a 3.00 investment into several hundred dollar card. I actually study fakes. I have relationships with all the biggest manufacturers of fakes and i get every print run well before they are released. I use usb microscopes, bend test, light test, ink test etc.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult to pull off on ebay, all someone would have to do is find a high end pen that they make fakes of.

Yep, and there are several high end pens that are often faked. It's one of those things that I would never have an interest in doing to actually think of it. As they say to catch a criminal you have to think like a criminal. I can see as a seller it would be very difficult to protect yourself from something like that, and incredibly costly to have it happen to you.

Sponsored Content

#22 BentNibs

BentNibs

Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 17:36

Yep, and there are several high end pens that are often faked. It's one of those things that I would never have an interest in doing to actually think of it. As they say to catch a criminal you have to think like a criminal. I can see as a seller it would be very difficult to protect yourself from something like that, and incredibly costly to have it happen to you.

Very true. One way we combated it was like i said videoing it being wrapped etc.

The other part is marking the item in a way that wouldn't get wiped off or altered with UV ink. On camera. That way you can prove the item is or isnt the one you sent when you get it back. I don't like to even admit or skirt on the fact that that is done because some people will say you are selling a defaced item. Even if you can only see the markings under a UV light. EVERY time we have had schemes or cheats try to get product i send them the actual video footage of the item being packed etc. and i can say 100% of the time our product was returned along with an apology. 

#23 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 17:51

Very true. One way we combated it was like i said videoing it being wrapped etc.

The other part is marking the item in a way that wouldn't get wiped off or altered with UV ink. On camera. That way you can prove the item is or isnt the one you sent when you get it back. I don't like to even admit or skirt on the fact that that is done because some people will say you are selling a defaced item. Even if you can only see the markings under a UV light. EVERY time we have had schemes or cheats try to get product i send them the actual video footage of the item being packed etc. and i can say 100% of the time our product was returned along with an apology. 

This is good. It would be hard for me to tell from a video whether the card in said video was authentic or not, but I suppose there must be a way to tell (especially if you're into cards, which I am not.)

Interesting idea about marking the card with UV ink. On one hand, it is kind of defacing it, but on the other hand, it's not visible. Does this affect value? I would assume not much since it's not visible, and an appraiser or future buyer won't check for such a thing. The other possibility is, depending on the ink used, it could degrade over time and become visible or damage the card, but I assume you've thought of that too and use something archival.

#24 kulms

kulms

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2018 - 16:06

wow people are very clever when it comes to scamming. sorry to hear this has happened to you guys.

#25 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2018 - 18:10

I have to say, I'm a bit horrified reading about the lengths some people go to scam others.   I guess I'm fortunate with not selling much on eBay or even here (what I have sold has gone very smoothly in both places), but, I'm a careful seller.   Always use delivery confirmation, pack the pens very carefully.   I believe the worst issue I had was I sold a pen to a buyer (I packed the pen, shipped it, and a few days later the buyer reached out to me asking where the section and converter were...they were in my drying cup!   When I took the pen out of my pen box, I didn't even uncap it...it had to be complete.   So, I lost most of the revenue on that sale by paying for a second tracked shipment of the section.   However, the buyer was very understanding and, I believe we both had a good laugh about it once the section was received and he saw how well the pen wrote.

Needless to say, since that event, when I sell a pen, I check the whole thing carefully to ensure completeness.    Live and learn.

french

#26 KellyMcJ

KellyMcJ

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2018 - 23:00

I have to say, I'm a bit horrified reading about the lengths some people go to scam others.   I guess I'm fortunate with not selling much on eBay or even here (what I have sold has gone very smoothly in both places), but, I'm a careful seller.   Always use delivery confirmation, pack the pens very carefully.   I believe the worst issue I had was I sold a pen to a buyer (I packed the pen, shipped it, and a few days later the buyer reached out to me asking where the section and converter were...they were in my drying cup!   When I took the pen out of my pen box, I didn't even uncap it...it had to be complete.   So, I lost most of the revenue on that sale by paying for a second tracked shipment of the section.   However, the buyer was very understanding and, I believe we both had a good laugh about it once the section was received and he saw how well the pen wrote.

Needless to say, since that event, when I sell a pen, I check the whole thing carefully to ensure completeness.    Live and learn.

french

Oh gosh how embarrassing. If I were your buyer, I would have laughed too! Whenever I send anything to anyone I worry that I might do something like that!

I'm glad your buyer was understanding. A lot of people wouldn't be. All's well that ends well.

#27 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:51

A few years (when I was into guitars) I recall a story told by a dealer. He had ordered one of only 2 custom guitars made by Gibson and when it arrived the weather was very cold and the box had been left in or on the truck overnight so itself was freezing. He decided not to unwrap the cardboard outer packaging for a couple of days until it had acclimatised in his shop. Yes, you have guessed, when he did eventually open it, the guitar case was empty.

Sponsored Content

|