The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor Yama-Dori - Compact Review

sailor ink review yama-dori yama dori green petrol teal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 15:47

fpn_1514389588__sailor_yama-dori.jpg

Edited by Jan2016, 27 December 2017 - 19:20.

Sponsored Content

#2 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 15:48

fpn_1514389697__sailor_yama-dori_img_201

#3 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 15:48

fpn_1514389725__sailor_yama-dori_img_201

#4 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 15:49

fpn_1514389750__sailor_yama-dori_img_201

#5 RockingLR

RockingLR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 18:50

wow you were not kidding about the sheen of this ink. I think I might prefer the Fire and Ice just because the sheen stands out. This makes me think of J. Herbin EOC without the sparkle and a shade or so lighter.

#6 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 19:21

Guess what my next review will be...  :D  :D  :D

Edited by Jan2016, 27 December 2017 - 19:22.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 23:13

wow you were not kidding about the sheen of this ink. I think I might prefer the Fire and Ice just because the sheen stands out. This makes me think of J. Herbin EOC without the sparkle and a shade or so lighter.

You're really, really on the right train of thought. Hold the two side by side and EoC is a tad greener but the sheen and overall feel are very similar. I love it for that reason.

This stuff out-sheens fire and ice.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#8 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:43

Here it is:

J Herbin Emeraude de Chivor

http://www.fountainp...view/?p=3974086

#9 RockingLR

RockingLR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 13:39

You're really, really on the right train of thought. Hold the two side by side and EoC is a tad greener but the sheen and overall feel are very similar. I love it for that reason.

This stuff out-sheens fire and ice.

Very true. I love using my EOC due it being my first sheening ink and how it sheens from my pilot metro to my vintage pens. But I may have to consider this as a replacement if the sparkle of EOC gets old.

#10 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 15:32

There is the trick not o shake the bottle and draw the ink from top. That way you will not have the shimmering and sparkles.

#11 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 21:26

:)  I like the sparkle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#12 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 13:11

I wish I knew what you folks are talking about!  I see no sheen ---- whatever that is?------ or sparkles! ----  My bottle of Sailor Yama Dori is just a dull shade of blue-grey ink.  I will not buy a second bottle!  What am I missing?  C. S. 

#13 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 13:16

I wish I knew what you folks are talking about!  I see no sheen ---- whatever that is?------ or sparkles! ----  My bottle of Sailor Yama Dori is just a dull shade of blue-grey ink.  I will not buy a second bottle!  What am I missing?  C. S. 

Could be because of several things: Pen is too dry, paper it too absorbent, ink is faulty ... Sailor Yama Dori is supposed to be a nice dark turquoise-y blue, isn' t it?

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

#14 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2018 - 22:28

J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor has the sparkles, not Yama Dori...

In the right upper corner of the sample are lines drawn on absorbent paper, here you can see thet there is no sheen.

To get sheen you need a non-absorbent paper like Tomoe River and a pen which uses a lot of ink.

You can see the effect of the quantity of ink very clear in the swaps, 1 swap almost no sheen, 3 swaps loads of sheen.

The paper has a big influence on color and sheen, in the reviews of namrehsnoom you can see the difference in color on difference kinds of paper.

#15 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 00:27

As said above, i think you are mistaking the Yama-Dori for the EoC

#16 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,237 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2018 - 11:47

Charles, the easiest way to have an idea about what sheen really is is to look at the rim of your bottle of Yama-dori.

Edited by Lgsoltek, 22 July 2018 - 11:47.

#17 Charles Skinner

Charles Skinner

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,384 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2019 - 21:13

At first, I could not understand why so many of you are great fans of Yama Dori ink.  Well, the more I use it, the more I am learning to like it!  Recently I have started filling a complete page in my journal before changing inks.  After the ink drys completely,  I am very pleased with the ink.  I certainly will buy another bottle if available when I use all of this bottle. BUT I still do not see anything that you folks call sheen.  I may have an eye problem!  Or some of you may be living in a "parallel universe!" 

Be for real, and "write on."  

C. Skinner

#18 Jan2016

Jan2016

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,090 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:04

Great to hear! 

The quest for sheen :-)

Maybe this can help, take a very non-absorbent paper (so if you would put a drop of water on it, the water stays on the paper, and doesn´t get soaked in right away).

On this paper you put a drop of the ink, and just give it a little smear so that the ink is really dense on the paper.

Let it dry.

Take the paper out in the sun and look over the ink in different angles until you see that it "catches" the sun.

Voila, sheen....

I don´t think it i your eyes.... ;-)

Can you see the rainbow colors on water when there is oily stuff on it? This is kind of the same effect.

#19 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 22:50

I am not saying i'd never use it, but it is probably too flashy for most of the writing i'd do & too expensive. But you really must use good paper. If you were writing on the sort of copier c**p like they have at my work you would never know anything about sheen.

#20 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:55

I am not saying i'd never use it, but it is probably too flashy for most of the writing i'd do & too expensive.

¥1,000 (add 8% domestic consumption tax in Japan) – about US$10 – for 50ml wasn't exactly expensive; ¥1,000 (+tax) for 20ml is a different matter.

But you really must use good paper. If you were writing on the sort of copier c**p like they have at my work you would never know anything about sheen.

Only if you want sheen from your handwriting on photocopied (or laser-printed) work documents, and then presumably only for personal satisfaction and/or enjoyment, as opposed to wanting your boss to notice and show appreciation. I have from time to time enjoyed marking up draft documents (because final versions are usually stored and distributed electronically anyway) using a $1,000 pen and 'expensive' inks as a personal idiosyncrasy, but then the nuance would be for my benefit only. I also have a stash of 'expensive' paper (by which I don't mean Tomoe River, since I don't have a high regard for it, but just 120gm coated papers from regular stationers), bought at my personal expense, on which to print my desk copies of stuff to which I would refer from time to time.

Showing sheen, shading, or any other attribute of the use of fountain pens and inks on somebody else's copy is really not something I'd worry about, but then I don't speak for everyone else, so I sincerely ask: Is that a concern of yours, that you want office documents printed on office-quality paper to allow you to show your handwriting (or 'fountain pen art') flair?

Pretending that all fountain pen collectors and/or enthusiasts here are like-minded, or at least find some merit in each others' personal preferences, is misguided to say the least. Having a shared or common interest in the acquisition and use of fountain pens does not mean one thinks that any of the following qualities is essential, ideal, superior, or preferable: wetbroadflex, vintage, piston-fill, transparent, shading, sheeny, and cheap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, ink, review, yama-dori, yama, dori, green, petrol, teal

Sponsored Content

|