The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Matthieu Faivet Numéro 7 And Hokkaido (Short) Comparative Review

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:48

Matthieu Faivet is a French artisan who has been making pens for a living for a few years now. He has a range of pens designed by himself and with the feedback of a few pen lovers. I am writing today about his Numéro 7, the first Faivet design he has commercialized, and the Hokkaido, probably his most popular pen.

Overall Design

The Numéro 7 is a long pen, 160mm with cap, 135 mm body including the nib. The body diameter of 14 mm is comfortable to me and it joins seamlessly the concave section which minimal diameter is 11mm. It is a classic pen with an understated design which gives it a timeless quality. The overall shape is a cylindrical pen with flat tops and a slight diameter reduction at the extremities. A clip cap be adapted (as most things, it is customizable at Matthieu's) on the cap.

The Hakkaido is of Japanese inspiration as the name suggests. The body has a continuous line with a maximum diameter of 16mm and conical ends. It is a shorter pen with 135 total length and 125mm body length, nib included. I believe the section is identical to the Numéro 7, although I can measure few 10th of mm difference which is probably boiling down to manufacturing tolerance. The larger diameter transition to the section is making the line dynamic.

Neither pens can be used posted. Both pens utilize international cartridges or converters which are coming along with the pen.

Materials

Matthieu is offering a wide range of materials (he would try anything legal if he can cut the threads and you ask). His primary choices are a wide range of wood, ebonite and resins. I have sourced some Honey Noire material used by Conway Stewart for one of my Numéro 7 for a great result. I also love the wooden pens, a Numéro 7 in grenadilla and a Hokkaido in Maroon tree wood (technically Loupe de Marronnier, but I could not find a convincing translation, sorry), which have a unique warmth.

Construction Quality and packaging

I am happy with the construction quality of the pens. They are well adjusted; the lines are beautifully realized and the threads make up without effort. The MF mark on the pen is added by lazer and is very consistent from pen to pen.

The four pens came in a simple black velvet pouch which does the job.

Nibs

I opted for simplicity on the Hokkaidos with Bock steel nibs (number 6) adjusted to an MF size (yup…). This is because I intend those pens for daily use on diverse supports. Matthieu has on offer Steel, Titanium and Gold options from Bock, but he also installs nibs from other pens on his should you which. I know of Man 100 nibs, Pelikan nibs and other installed on his pens for the great pleasure of the owners.

He has now developed the ability to adjust the bock nibs and I got good experience and feedback from others.

The two Numéro 7 have titanium nibs because it feels right for this design. They are quite generous in ink flow which make them fun if not great on printer paper!

Customization

As stated above, customization is possible on many elements. The nibs, the body material, the clip. All can be discussed directly to achieve a pen design that really fits one’s wishes. I still have some Bracket Green (also a Conway Stewart material) in the Alsace that waits for a good idea.

How does it write? and conclusion

Overall, I am very fond of the pens Matthieu is making. His patience and willingness to listen and advice make each purchase an adventure that materialize in a beautiful and functional writing instrument.

All four pens write beautifully and the nib adjustment fits well what I expect from each pen. The Numéro 7 is really falling perfectly in my hand and I use both pens for correspondence or personal notes on quality paper. The two Hokkaidos can follow me in a work day and will make it so much more enjoyable. Dull meetings can be spent admiring their line and writing is precise, even if the Numéro 7 is to me somewhat superior in comfort.

My photographic abilities do not do justice to the beautiful pens, but I show you what I got nonetheless (December light in The Netherlands is scarce…). Thanks for reading!

Hokkaido ebonite (top) and Numéro 7 Honey Noire

738388IMG0100.jpg

My two Hokkaidos with an Aurora 88 for the scale

934009IMG0097.jpg

Both Hokkaidos have a MF steel nib from bock adjusted by Matthieu

364468IMG0096.jpg

Both Numéro 7 have a titanium nib from Bock adjusted to MF by Matthieu

611772IMG0098.jpg

Both Hokkaidos (to enjoy the line) with my Ubik number 17 – a pen you can discover on Matthieu’s website until I post a review J

972340IMG0102.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Arcadian

Arcadian

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 16:37

They are beautiful pens! This is the first I'm hearing of Matthieu Faivet, but hopefully not the last! I think the Hokkaidos would be too short for me, since they don't post, but the way the material used lines up perfectly when the pen is capped is more than a little alluring!

#3 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 December 2017 - 18:24

Thanks for reading. Indeed, the Hokkaido is on the short side, but i find that its balance is still very good. That is probably why the Numéro 7 feels a little better to me.

Matthieu is popular with the French speaking pen lover community, but indeed not so known internationally yet. That also why I felt like sharing my impressions here.

The line of the Hokkaido comes out the best on its black and white design of a friend of mine (photo credit grindsel)
281327DSC0512.jpg

Edited by darazs, 28 December 2017 - 07:21.

#4 amk

amk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:19

Marronnier is chestnut wood, I think, and loupe de marronnier is chestnut burl. It looks absolutely splendid.

I have been thinking about ordering a pen from Matthieu for a while... this review makes it even harder to resist the temptation.

Just a thought: wouldn't the Hokkaido look splendid if you could get it make in Arco celluloid!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

#5 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:48

amk - thanks for your comments - I had chestnut wood, but not the right translation for "loupe" (apart from magnifying glass :D)!!

I never thought about it, but indeed an Arco celluloid Hokkaido would look splendid - add a flex OMAS nib on it and you would have a great pen! You might be able to source a little bit of the material with the folks of ASC.

ASC is the new brand of Emmanuel Caltagirone - ASC stands for Armando SIMONI Club from the original OMAS (Officina Meccanica Armando Simoni) founder.

#6 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:03

Nice pens, thank you for posting this helpful and informative review :thumbup:

#7 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:47

Nice pens, thank you for posting this helpful and informative review :thumbup:

Thank you for reading - i am unsure what you mean with helpful though.

#8 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 21:39

Thank you for reading - i am unsure what you mean with helpful though.

I meant that the information provided in the review was useful to me to understand more about Faivet pens.

Edited by da vinci, 30 December 2017 - 21:39.

#9 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:00

I meant that the information provided in the review was useful to me to understand more about Faivet pens.

Cool, that was also the point of the review :)

#10 allen_paris

allen_paris

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 23:00

nice review ! never look a Mathieu Faivet IRL but will succed.

#11 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:22

nice review ! never look a Mathieu Faivet IRL but will succed.

Thanks - there are enough Faivets in Paris  B)

In the mean time we are discussing some pimping up with ebonite section and vintage nib for the CS resin version - can't wait to have it in my hand  :blush:

#12 rudyhou

rudyhou

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:03

those hokkaido fps look awesome  :thumbup:

-rudy-

#13 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:50

those hokkaido fps look awesome  :thumbup:

Thanks for reading - I agree, they are beautiful :)

#14 darazs

darazs

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2018 - 19:08

More photos - the bracket green pen has a hard rubber section and a Waterman Emblem nib adapted on a modified Bock feed - great writer too :)

ephtsk.jpg

10e0uhc.jpg.

5fktj6.jpg

x2nl9v.jpg

1zyvwgl.jpg

1pw8zr.jpg

21e8104.jpg

2wqgwhs.jpg

10qjtx3.jpg

Sponsored Content

|